Land of the South Winds

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Land of the South Winds

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

where would I find information on the Land of the South Winds (official or homebrew)?

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Land of the South Winds

Unread post by Natasha »

Adventures on the High Seas probably has most official data.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Natasha wrote:Adventures on the High Seas probably has most official data.

Thanks, Natasha! Alas, it seems, there is not much more than the information on the Floenry islands.

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Hendrik wrote:
Natasha wrote:Adventures on the High Seas probably has most official data.

Thanks, Natasha! Alas, it seems, there is not much more than the information on the Floenry islands.

Kind regards
Hendrik

Bummer. Maybe Yin Sloth Jungles book then? It's been a while since I read this so it's quite possible it only talks about the jungles and some of the Western Empire.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

there is a map or two in book 2:old ones that feature a piece of the lotsw map and show the locations of some cities...(not much i know, but its something).
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

There also some data in Mt. Nimro Land of the Giants. For unofficial data, you can use Rifter
#17 for Stilt City (if you can find it). Adventure on the High Seas used to have data on Land
of the South Wind, but that was during 1st edition.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Reagren Wright wrote:There also some data in Mt. Nimro Land of the Giants. For unofficial data, you can use Rifter
#17 for Stilt City (if you can find it). Adventure on the High Seas used to have data on Land

So they took it out from second edition? Aah, I never read any from the revised to second edition books.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. There is also information in Library of Bletherad. There are small blurbs on page 46 and 49 (both small and barely worth mention), page 95 (the rune weapon started on the previous page may be located there), page 109 (the only ones to have a cure to a particular poision), page 126 (perhaps the most relevant passage discussing their money and economy a bit more), and page 147 (mentioned in the Stone Heart). There are other parts that mention the land (just a sentence here or there, usually in a list with other lands). I just listed the ones that focus more on the Land of South Winds in general, though except for the section on 126 even most of what I mentioned is nothing more than a paragraph or sentence without much data. Of course, there are the other books mentioned above as well. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I want to confirm there is information in the 1st edition of the Adventures on the High Seas. I looked thru it tonight in preparation of running my pF game in the near future.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

thank y'all very much! I am grateful for every hint or link!

Great, Reagren Wright, thank you, I have Rifter 17 - did not remember that article, memo to myself: should check Rifter index before I ask questions. Will look at that tonight! Stilt city sounds very promising / interesting. I always wondered whether Lands of the South Winds typologically is more "Arrakis" or more "Korea / China / Japan". Well, the two types can be matched, meaning as in desert action sans sand worms- cf. the movie Musa http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275083/ / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_(film). By the by, great movie to see a pole arm used for great effect.

Prysus, thanks for the detailed info, I will follow up with this tonight. Ah, the pain, would only I have my books with me at work.

Alas, I have no longer got the 1st ed Adventure on the High Seas, 'twas lost "thanks" to a water-mains burst in my cellar. I still weep occassionally - in a very manly fashion, of course.

The PFRPG 1st ed also has some info (1 paragraph, about a dozen lines) on the Land of the South Winds that I do not recollect that 2nd ed has, but the info that is does not really say much but that The Lands of the South Winds is a kingdom and arrid land.

From Adventures on the High Seas 2nd ed we can conclude that the kingdom of the south winds displays some tentative colonization activity (Floenry islands).

Thanks, t0m, for the map advice: the cities on the maps mentioned unfortunately have no names, but the size can be inferred as it is relative to the size of the cities in the Timiro kingdom.

Kind regards
Hendrik

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Aramanthus wrote:I want to confirm there is information in the 1st edition of the Adventures on the High Seas. I looked thru it tonight in preparation of running my pF game in the near future.

there is? I looked thru it once and didnt find anything not in 2nd ed. :?:
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. *Forehead slap.* Yes, there is a couple paragraphs in the Second Edition main book (can't believe I forgot that). Now, comparing 1st Edition to 2nd Edition ...

I'm not positive the paragraph you're talking about (I haven't actually read or played 1st Edition, but I have it as a reference guide for things like this) I found a 9 line paragraph on page 246, turn the page and there are pictures of various Currency for the world. If this is the passage you're remembering (and not some other one), the information is in Second Edition as well, page 286 (directly across from the World Map showing where each kingdom is located). It is, for the most part, word for word of the 1st Edition. However, the sentences have been rearranged and split into two paragraphs instead of just one (but there is not much difference in content). And, it is mentioned very briefly on page 281 on the timeline (it only mentions it declaring sovereignty 2100 years ago, not a big note but may still help).

On another note, if you miss your first edition books that much ... I do have some extras I may be willing to part with. If you want you can contact me (send me a PM) and we can discuss it further (if you're really interested). It depends on if you really miss it that bad or more just jesting. Anyways, have a nice day and take good care to all. Farewell and safe journeys.

Edit: In case it was missed (I know mentioned, but not sure if all parts were found) there is the Adventures on the High Seas information. From a glance (I didn't go through every page) it seems the information is in both first and second edition (but I could have missed something). There is the general information in The Floenry Island Chain (including Oen Island on page 151 and Burcee on page 165). The one I'm not sure if may have been missed is that they do show a picture of the south eastern coast on page 151 map (top right corner, above the Floenry Island Chain, there is the Land of South Winds with a few locations named). Then of course there is the ship information on page 182 and 183, which includes flag descriptions (colors and insignia). It may have been noticed before, but I wanted to be thorough since I was at it.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Its very marshy, its got issues with pirates and its run by 3 dukedoms. Thats about all there is.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I don't have the second edition for it at this time. I'm hoping to pick up a bit more of the PF system in two weeks on a trip.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

Why hasnt there been anything done with this Land? Its obviously a great place to adventure. Thinking of Marshes just brings up the images of ancient catacombs and undead creatures. Three dukedoms, well youve got the infighting of the nobles there, but why no source book.

Just seems strange to me....and there again, there's no source book on the old kingdom either...soo...
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

TheGrayRaven wrote:
GMDijarian wrote:Why hasnt there been anything done with this Land? Its obviously a great place to adventure. Thinking of Marshes just brings up the images of ancient catacombs and undead creatures. Three dukedoms, well youve got the infighting of the nobles there, but why no source book.

Just seems strange to me....and there again, there's no source book on the old kingdom either...soo...

Isn't there one on the Baalgor (sp?) Wastelands which is a part of the Old Kingdom?

There is a book on the Baalgor Wastelands yes, and its one of my favorite. (im hoping to use it soon in my campaign) but i dont generally consider it as part of the old kingdom due to the mountains that seperate it from The Nimro Kingdom. Generally I think of the Old Kingdom as the Major area around the Old Kingdom mountains and river, but i could be wrong.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Reagren Wright wrote:There also some data in Mt. Nimro Land of the Giants. For unofficial data, you can use Rifter

It's in Rifter 27, not Rifter 17.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”