Equipment check...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Equipment check...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

What odds and ends, equipment, food, etc does you're characters carry with him/her? Depending on the situation.

Here's somethings that I have invented:

Feather soft, never ending roll of T.P. Cost 250 gp, stays dry until unrolled. Lasts exactly 1 minute after pulled off the roll. It so far only found in the Wisdom (Eastern Empire).

Never dry canteens. Cost: 10,000 gp. Guaranteed to keep any liquid fresh, at whatever temp it was first pored into it and filled full, and keep it full of that liquid; provided that the liquid is not magical. For some reason, it will not work on potions or any magical liquid.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Re: Equipment check...

Unread post by t0m »

my character always has:

candy
jerky
dried/candied fruit
magic waterskin
tobacco
one of those little candles that lights when you say the magic word
20 ft of thread of iron
enviro-tent
quill of literacy
hand mirror
blank book/note pad
lock pick set
needle of sewing
one extra set of clothes/disguise
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pblackcrow wrote:
Feather soft, never ending roll of T.P. Cost 250 gp, stays dry until unrolled. Lasts exactly 1 minute after pulled off the roll. It so far only found in the Wisdom (Eastern Empire).

Modern TP has only been around in modern times about 88 years. So this sounds like a HU type item.

pblackcrow wrote:Never dry canteens. Cost: 10,000 gp. Guaranteed to keep any liquid fresh, at whatever temp it was first pored into it and filled full, and keep it full of that liquid; provided that the liquid is not magical. For some reason, it will not work on potions or any magical liquid.

I in the PF pbp game I'm running the PC has a water skin like this. though the player has yet to relize it :twisted: .
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Here I included a link to the wiki file on Toilet paper. Enjoy. Nice gear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Wow. I learned something I didn't know about toilet paper today. Didn't expect that to happen. o_O;
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

My characters(and groups) tend to go fairly light on the magical goodies, at least to start with, but always have a good supply of the basics. By this I mean the everyday camping gear ranging from two, or three kinds of fire starter to a good pair of boots. The things that absolutely, positively cannot ever be left out are at least two good knives, a hatchet/machete, and rope. Sure, you can cut wood with your battle ax, but then you are going to have to regrind the blade, and yes you can cut a path with your sword, but again, a lot of wear and tear. Rope can be used for all sorts of things in the wilderness. One of my all time favorite magical items is a set of unbreakable thread one of my characters procured. It was used over, and over as unbreakable fishing line, snares, tripwires, to help secure a door, you name it. The best part was that it was an item nobody ever thought to buy, or bring.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an awesome item. How much did you have to pay for it? I'd be interested in the magic thread.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

im not sure if RockJock and i are talking about the same thread, but thread of iron is in the pf rule book in the alchemist section (p 258, its the last item on the 'magic fabrics' list)...my character got some (along with most of the other magic stuff i listed in my post above) in one big trade after a dungeon crawl yielded a bunch of demon bone that we didnt want around/know how to use...we traded it to the nearest alchemist for a bunch of cool magic stuff our characters had never heard of. i must say that the quill, waterskin, enviro tent and thread of iron changed the way we do things dramatically...
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Tom, I didn't even notice the Thread of Iron in your list, but we are talking about basically the same thing. I want to say what we used was a couple of times more expensive then the book version because it had the added ability of needing a magical blade to cut it. This is as big of a problem as it is an advantage. It really wasn't all that different then the book version, but solved a problem for us when used as say a trip line. The book describes the Thread of Iron being strong in tensile strength, but very weak if you cut it. That lead to questions about if it rubbed against a rough edge or whatever would it fray, then cut. We just made a separate version of it to solve the murkiness for our group.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

we are just really careful with ours. :D
Aramanthus
Monk

Still it is a very cool item. And very useful too.

HH....FIE
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

my one player has the following;

Water Skin: 3
Small Tent
Backpack Wet Stone
Rations: 3 months
Torches: 6
Rope: 50 feet
Small Pot Seamstress Kit
Lock/Key
3000 year Almanac
Flint/Steel
Horse Grooming Kit Healing Kit: 1
Dwarven Saddle
Dwarven Horse Shoes
Bathuhduns Guide to World Adventuring: 76%

In addition
Melech body armor
Melech barding
Expertly made Solum Scimitars (paired)

She is an elven ranger so doesn't really carry a lot of food
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

KillWatch wrote:my one player has the following;

Almanac

bloody brilliant. going to try to remember to add this to my game some how...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

t0m wrote:
KillWatch wrote:my one player has the following;

Almanac

bloody brilliant. going to try to remember to add this to my game some how...

the only problem is the char needs to be able to read, or just finding one in the 1st place. They don't just print them up by the dozen.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

there are two people in our group that can read, and we live in the capital city of timiro. im pretty sure i saw a printing shop or a scribe or something in the maps of town. ill have a look. i know for a fact that there are numerous book stores though....the only problem i can see in getting them an almanac would be finding a way for the characters to actually find out about it and go buy one. they are 'good' guys, but they are also a bit on the drunken idiot side of things =) books arent at the top of their list of things to give a crap about.

i like the idea as a gm though because almanacs are filled with info and it could be a neat way around a few 'meta' problems where the characters need to know something but would never find out about it on their own (kinda like finding the almanac in the first place...)
KillWatch
Champion

I have ruled that any ancient technology independant of electricity or gun powder is avaialable. The press and indoor plumbing, like the ancient greeks had for their bath houses, are ok but rare and expensive.

The party is about 9th level and have 0 magical items
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
KillWatch
Champion

For adventuring clues and world information I have created Bathuhdun's Guide to world Adventuring. All players start off with it. Before game play each player rolls for it's accuracy, 35=35%. The GM rolls for each inquiry and gives an answer right or wrong, but the players have to figure it out on their own.

The book has every basic lore skill but may not be all that reliable; no, dragons need to be woken up in the middle of the night because they have a health problem that may result in death. The dragon will surely thank us.
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree. That is a very cool idea about having an Almanac! Thank you for mentioning it. I have to remember adding it to my own list of possesions in games I get to play.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Your welcome. I'm always happy to find interesting things and pass them along. Nice rope. Which book is it from? Or did you create it yourself?

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Thank you again GamerX! I'll have to use some of those for my up and coming PF game.

HH....FIE
pblackcrow
Champion

Cool...I liked the horse grooming kit idea. And the Almanac. Very nice.

Also, one of my ideas...I forest scented soap (in wilderness towns or villages General Store/trading post); scent is guaranteed to last for about 72 hours...provided the PC doesn’t eat things like ramps, LOL. (Hey, it is FAR better to smell like your surroundings, than not to.) 5-10 gold.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

this be a magic item but would be a really big hit with adventures
* Underthings of the environment (see tent of the environment in the PF2 main book for the details)
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting idea for a new item! I like it!

HH....FIE
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

a loin cloth wearing barbarian would rather get frost bite on his junk than wear 'girly underthings' :P could be handy for those with less fortitude though (wizards im looking at you)....
Aramanthus
Monk

That's ok. I've been using the same spell philosophy that Dark Schneider uses, since before the anime he appears in. So those undergarments are nice and comfy!

HH....FIE
pblackcrow
Champion

One of my PC's carries a rook chess piece everywhere he goes. The rook transforms into a tower fort, stays that way until either canceled by the one who called it forth or 5 days pass, 15 if on a ley line, or indefinite if on a nexus. He found it in a treasure trove, of which he could pick 1 thing from.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
KillWatch
Champion

it's called a portable fortress an old D&D magic item. They also had things like collapsable iron boats
KillWatch
Champion

that to
Aramanthus
Monk

One day we worked out something like 10 or 15 variation of Daern's Instant fortresses. Including ones that were traps and prisons. One that was a titanic palace on the inside, literally larger on the inside than the outside even at max outsides size.

HH....FIE
KillWatch
Champion

you mean like a Tardus,...
Aramanthus
Monk

Yep, it was larger on the inside than on the outside. But it wasn't a TARDIS!!!

HH....FIE
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

the Tardus is a vehical, what he is describing is more of a building
KillWatch
Champion

is he sure? maybe it's just a really big tardus?
has he checked the basement for a temporal-dimensional transfer unit?
Aramanthus
Monk

Nope, it wasn't a TARDIS! Trust me. Although I remember one of those showed up both on the old Dragonlance picture of that flying fortress. And the same one showed up in an adventure in the old and dead magazine the Dragon along with a guy with a very long scarf! Of course that guy appeared in the picture too!

HH....FIE
pblackcrow
Champion

Um, recently, in a game of Rifts; I gave my players the chance to stock up on food. The wilderness scout made a point of requesting stable foods. He actually thought things through.

21 days worth of dried food (a nice mixture of fruits and veggies, lintels, beans, dried soup mixes, as well as some dried pasta dishes and rice dishes), 25 granola bars, 24 oz peanut butter, crackers, ½lb of the equivalent of Carnation Instant Breakfast (add water or milk), 50 of the equivalent of power bars cookies, 30 summer sausages (10 deer, 10 turkey, 5 buffalo, and 5 beef), 3lb of aged cheese, 3lbs buffalo hickory smoked jerky, 1lb raptor dino barbequed jerky, 2 magical never dry and always fresh canteens (water and milk), and lots of herbal teas, 20 oz bottle of 180 proof white lightning; for medicinal uses and fire starter.

He had some wonderful ideas. And didn't say "give me a months worth of MRE's."...The others jaws dropped, and they returned their MRE's.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Aramanthus
Monk

So where did your players get some of those modern foods? I'm just curious.

HH....FIE
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

off my current character sheet:

Set of Town Clothing, Set of Traveling Clothing, Three sets of Arena Clothing, Bedroll, Backpack, Shoulderbag, Waterskin, Tinderbox, four pounds of dried Beef and four pounds of dried fruit.

Things I am trying to get in Kaash without being ripped off...
1 metal pot
1 gallon waterskin
1 fishing net
4 dartsof normal quality
1 two person tent(just enough room to protect both her and her stuff)

it shouldn't take that long to find said stuff, ecept that I'll be very low on gold for a few days until I can earn a bit in a fightpit or two.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
pblackcrow
Champion

Aramanthus wrote:So where did your players get some of those modern foods? I'm just curious.

Uh, you missed the part where I said "Rifts game". I'm just making a point that to use your brain when picking out stuff for your characters. I mean, heck...Just because you're in a fantasy setting doesn't mean you can't have power bars or the like. If you Google "power bar recipe" you will find that they had the stuff to do make a version of it years ago, minus the chemical crud of course.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Aramanthus
Monk

Thanks for the info Pblackcrow! I missed that!

GamerX I'll be looking forward to seeing that information in a Rifter format! If not accepted there you could always PM it to those interested.

HH....FIE
Maddog
D-Bee

Unread post by Maddog »

pblackcrow wrote:One of my PC's carries a rook chess piece everywhere he goes. The rook transforms into a tower fort, stays that way until either canceled by the one who called it forth or 5 days pass, 15 if on a ley line, or indefinite if on a nexus. He found it in a treasure trove, of which he could pick 1 thing from.

Call it Tower or Tardis, I'd like to see the stats you have for it. Sounds cool.
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

*sigh*

And everyone is forgetting some of THE most important tools PCs can have..

Hammer and chisel- for making marks on walls, floors, etc. Also a great lockpicking set for those without the skill!

Flint and steel- players always remember lanterns and torches. They almost always forget a way to LIGHT said lanterns and torches....

rags/towels- when you have 2 sets of clothes, and one is wet, you don't want to use the other one to dry with. DUH.

scrollcases- so many people don't think about this. What, you simply fold it up and stick it in your pack? Scrollcases can keep them organized (so you can grab the right one right away!), and keep it neat and protected from the environment. Who wants to spend hundreds of gold on scrolls, just for the first rainstorm to ruin them?

a shovel- doesn't need to be a big one. A small one is best (something like an e-tool, for those with knowledge of). But, it makes it easier when surviving off the land. Also works as a bit of a cutter/pounder.

whetstones- keep blades SHARP

multiple sets of clothing, and clothing for multiple environments- 3-5 sets is best. As a GM, yes, I am evil enough for the "ok, you are wet, it's night, and a wind is blowing.... who's going to help prevent hypothermia?"

bit and bridle- easier than trying to guide a mount with just your legs. MUCH MUCH easier.....

animal feed- DUH.. grazing on scrub brush is NOT enough for actual mounts...

pots/pans- hot food on the road is better than just jerky. Trust me on this. Surviving on dried foods for a week- it sucks. Royally. Cooking GOOD

And the number one most single useful item any party can have....

A TEN FOOT POLE! SOOOOO many uses. Pushing, whacking, nudging, testing the ground. Poking at the cieling/walls. Waving around in the dark space in front of you. Pushing the end into the strange portal, then bringing it back to see if it's still all there. The list goes on!!
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”