Demon/Deevil bones & blood

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maddog
D-Bee

Demon/Deevil bones & blood

Unread post by Maddog »

I remember seeing a post before on demon bones, but I cannot find it, sorry.

So:

When a demon or deevil is killed what happens to the remains? Do the lie around? Do the dissapear in a puff of brimstone? If the dissapear how do we get components for wards? If you can kill a demon with normal weapons can you hack one up with them? If it lies around, does the part who killed it get stinking rich? etc.......

If anyone has suggestions or ideas please share!
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire
Probitas

Re: Demon/Deevil bones & blood

Unread post by Probitas »

Demons and deevils are not natural creatures of the mortal plane, as such when their animating force has been dissipated, I would say that their remains begin a process of decay, of some short term length, that allows someone in the KNOW to gather and preserve a small amount (a 1lb or so) of the remains to be used in components.

If they just sat around until collected, they'd be a whole lot cheaper, as any summoner wishing to boost his bankroll would only need to summon one and have his other minions destroy it for him.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

We always had if you cut anything off while the creature is alive then it stays on this realm.
Even before Hades came out and offically said demons/deevil bodies vanished the moment
after death, we had that happen in our games. It just made sense when we didn't have a
book to tell us. The same rule applies now.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Unless it says in the description that they vanish when killed, the whole body remains behind. Blood, guts, bones, hair, nails, etc. Oh and keep in mind that most demons even if they lose their battle of wills will think of ways to defend themselves. Magic, psionics, hell even just flying away would work as well.

OH and keep in mind that if the demon doesn't know he's been given a command he can't follow it. So said demon might just toss out a globe of silence prior to making a run for it. No demon is just gonna allow the Summoners minions to tear it apart.

Also keep in mind per page 141 a summoned creature doesn't have to reveal it's true name nor commit suicide. Also if the demon is having deadly force used against him/or he thinks the summoner is going to kill him he gets a +8 to break free and can immediately initiate a battle of wills.

So anyone playing a summoner may wish to rethink that plan to make some quick gold.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

The Hades book is very specific about it. The body of a demon killed outside of Hades immediately vanishes, and nothing is left to harvest. Only if killed in Hades is there a body left behind from which to harvest things.

What Smashed said above is exactly right.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Carl said the same thing will be true in Dyval in regard with the Deevils as well. These two
books are the definitive for deal with Demons and Deevils in any Palladium World, including
Fantasy from which they originated, and that from the mouth and great and powerful Kevin.
Of course if you want to ignore those books and use the main book as a guide in your games
go right ahead, just promise me if your the G.M. in those games, you don't allow your
players to kill a demon/deevil then think they can hack it up and make a million gold at the local Western alchmist shop :evil: .
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Reagren Wright wrote:Carl said the same thing will be true in Dyval in regard with the Deevils as well. These two
books are the definitive for deal with Demons and Deevils in any Palladium World, including
Fantasy from which they originated, and that from the mouth and great and powerful Kevin.
Of course if you want to ignore those books and use the main book as a guide in your games
go right ahead, just promise me if your the G.M. in those games, you don't allow your
players to kill a demon/deevil then think they can hack it up and make a million gold at the local Western alchmist shop :evil: .

Don't have the Hades book.. Hence why I was unawares of the rule.. I'll have to get it and take a look at it.. No alchemist is gonna just hand over millions in gold to any party. Just not gonna happen. They will trade for what they need.. The rest is up to the party. Sure if they are in an area with multiple alchemists than they might get a sizable sum for the parts.. But Alchemists usually are more inclined to trade knowledge or services as opposed to trading for gold.
OldGeek
D-Bee

Unread post by OldGeek »

Thing about selling them to alchemists... If they can be acquired easily, for free, why would they be willing to just spend money on them? And how often does said alchemist get buyers for demon/deevil bone?

The idea that having demon bodies linger after death would make the PCs rich defies logic IMO... In such a situation no alchemist is going to need to buy all that much at a time, if they want to buy any at all...
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:
OH and keep in mind that if the demon doesn't know he's been given a command he can't follow it. So said demon might just toss out a globe of silence prior to making a run for it. No demon is just gonna allow the Summoners minions to tear it apart.

The Dark Elf as a PC is a summoner (& wizard & diabolist) and in a game my brother is still running years later he summoned a dragon (kukulcan!) and it immediately did globe of silence and nearly killed me even though I was in my protection bit of the circle. :oops:

On my last hit points I managed to write the words don't attack me and cancel your spells on some parchment. Then I had a lot of wording to use him to my best abilities. <3 hours later I killed him (its 1st ed.) as Id had enough. I now summon elementals and animals as a rule. :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Maddog
D-Bee

Unread post by Maddog »

Thanks for the input.

I decided to play it that the demon/deevil's body began to disintegrate upon death, and if the party could seperate a piece from the body, it (the piece) would remain. I had them roll 1D4 and that's how many ounces they'd get.
As well, the Alchemist doesn't buy for more than 30% of retail.
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”