Magic using machine persons!

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Magic using machine persons!

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Gravitus Everlast wrote:There's a big constipulation about machine people not being able to use magic, but I have found a way to do it legally. The machine people have this great ability to integrate virtually any technology into their own bodies. So all one has to do is track down any kind of non-TW magical robot, automaton, juggernaut or vehicle and consume its various parts. For some reason TW devices cannot be integrated. The key is to find the magical cores of these devices. This is especially effective with things that use "Elementals in a box" as their cores. When the machine person consumes them, they integrate them as if the new device was another organ or upgrade. Now the machine person has the capacity to cast as if running a computer program. This counts as a skill and is used as such, which mean rolling a skill check rather than rolling to cast. That also means they gain EXP as if using a skill rather than casting a spell. When a machine person "Casts" it has an opportunity to take on a slightly different effect because they project their magic much the same way a TW device does. The magic has to accommodate for the fact that its being cast by technology. So a fire ball may be shot like a hand cannon rather than thrown like a wizard would. Durations may also become longer due to that fact that the spell is now a "Function" and can be turned on and off like a switch, simply expending a little more ppe. I have to go now, but I'll be back with more information on integration and stat changes. But feel free to bounce your own thoughts and ideas.
Magic/TW doesn't work that way; there's no such thing as a "magical core" to a TW Device -either all of the TW Item is there or the device doesn't work (inscriptions running along the length of the entire weapon, gems studded throughout, etc.).

With that being said, I can't see any reason why the Machine Person can't be turned into a TW Weapon of its own (although as one, single, TW 'entity' it would have the same limitations as every other TW artifact), that can be used by somebody else in that they can charge the M.P. with PPE and then use the device; the Rules Of Magic, as stated, seem to imply that even if the TW Device is implanted directly into the Machine Person, that M.P. is nevertheless a creature who is TW ineligible and who won't be able to get the device to work even if it's charged by somebody else and he controls the trigger (a notable exception being those few, ultra-rare TW Weps that anybody can activate).
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Eating TW means you eat a bunch of wires and gems. Nothing in that will let him use magic--eating it will destroy the power it had completely.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Eating TW means you eat a bunch of wires and gems. Nothing in that will let him use magic--eating it will destroy the power it had completely.

2nds this

oh no NS and I completly agree on something, noo...the world as we know it is gona end.
:P :P
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

gadrin wrote:Seriously if you want an armored Spell Caster, check out
Lanotaur Hunter from Psyscape

(both of those have psionics to boot)...

>

Not only that they have autododge with a +7 base and like P.P. 1D6+20. Though I question if you should allow them they where N.P.C. only at first printing in psyscape. Though in D-bees of north america they are both NPC and player characters.

Think I made my friend almost cry when I showed him the RCC and said he couldn't play one.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Most TW items require an external source of PPE except those that use PPE clips or are one use items. The Machine Person does not have any PPE, though the Cosmo Knight thing is something that could be possible.

I allow Machine People to absorb and use robot and cyborg components like the Malvoreen can in DBees of North America and there are some neat TW bionics in the Rifts Canada book that could work with the Machine People/Cosmo Knight combo.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I though we laid this boondoggle to rest in May?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Gravitus Everlast wrote:Like I said, the trick to giving this ability to a machine person is the "Integration" of some kind of PPE battery. How you figure out how to recharge it is up to you. You can have your teammates do it for you, you can have a Technowizard build an energy converter so they can turn electricity into PPE, they can use Blood sacrifices if they have to or let them integrate an "Elemental Core" which is an elemental contained within a battery which, by the way, would NOT be set free if you dismantle the machine it was originally in. It would only get loose if you crack the core itself, otherwise, how the hell would they have been able to install it in the first place.

Also, if you've noticed, I'm now going to use words like Integrate and Assimilate or terms like meld with because clearly you've all assumed that by taking these devices into their bodies that the device is utterly destroyed which simply is not what's going on here. The devices are not being destroyed, their parts are simply being redistributed within the body of the machine person like a human being given an organ transplant. The organ isn't destroyed in the process. So by looking at these devices this way, I think it will be easier for you guys to accept this train of thought.

My GM doesn't break the rules, he just interprets them differently using real world physics and science in an exaggerated manner.

The problem is a TW items magic laies int eh wholeness, not distributed. You spread it around, it's just like if you shot it. it. won't. work. anymore.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”