Leatherworking skill

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

J_Danger
D-Bee

Leatherworking skill

Unread post by J_Danger »

Is there a place where there are rules for creating non-magical MDC leather armor with this skill? I figure with knives capable of dishing out MD and the creature's own tendons and the such as thread, this would be possible. I'm just looking for stats and maybe even an ingredient list. Some Rifter RCC I saw recently could do this magically, but I definitely just want some standard MDC armor.

thanks in advance
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from Catalonia

Re: Leatherworking skill

Unread post by mobuttu »

Try Dinosaur swamp, I seem to recall something about dino armors-hide there. :-?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

There is also a really good RIFTER article about MDC leather-working.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I used the leather good store in the book Splynn dimensional market as my base for building MDC leather armor.

A couple of things to consider:
in addition to leatherworking your gonna want:
Field armorer and munitions expert
Sewing
Wardrobe and grooming
Skin and prepare animal hides
art
Whittling/sculpting
woodworking

these skills combined allow you to reinforce the leather with other materials and design and build armor so that it fits an aesthetic ideal.

One time we got in a fight with a coven of Nightstalker Dragon Hatchlings, after skinning I was able to make the party gunfighter a Coat that in addition to having the MDC of a Branagan overcoat gave him a +2 horror factor, +5% prowl and a +10 intimidate.

the character in question also has several combat suits of armor but a suit of light MDC armor that gives her a +10% to wadrobe and grooming and a +5% to seduction and performance.

I also was able to make several MDC yurts to shelter the party and a couple of other cool devices.

if you include the cool Cloth available in Dweomer and other limited locations you can give your leather armor a magical cloth liner that keeps the wearer dry, clean and at a tolerable temperature.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

rat_bastard wrote:I used the leather good store in the book Splynn dimensional market as my base for building MDC leather armor.

A couple of things to consider:
in addition to leatherworking your gonna want:
Field armorer and munitions expert
Sewing
Wardrobe and grooming
Skin and prepare animal hides
art
Whittling/sculpting
woodworking

these skills combined allow you to reinforce the leather with other materials and design and build armor so that it fits an aesthetic ideal.

One time we got in a fight with a coven of Nightstalker Dragon Hatchlings, after skinning I was able to make the party gunfighter a Coat that in addition to having the MDC of a Branagan overcoat gave him a +2 horror factor, +5% prowl and a +10 intimidate.

the character in question also has several combat suits of armor but a suit of light MDC armor that gives her a +10% to wadrobe and grooming and a +5% to seduction and performance.

I also was able to make several MDC yurts to shelter the party and a couple of other cool devices.

if you include the cool Cloth available in Dweomer and other limited locations you can give your leather armor a magical cloth liner that keeps the wearer dry, clean and at a tolerable temperature.

I'm not sure what you do for a living but i think you should be a Tailor...
Or get into high end fashon. I think it would be funny to see Ratty, on the runway.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The Field armorer/munitions expert is for knowing how to reinforce the armor with other mdc materials such as carapace, its also for turning the claws and teeth of magic critters into sharp and useful tools.

Sewing is for the bonus and for including magic and mega damage fabrics.

Skinning is is for obvious reasons

As high mega-damage leather armor most likely incorporates the bones of mdc critters whittling and sculpting is included for reshaping bone and other materials.

Art/Wardobe and grooming is for making the armor and other by products of your hunts decorative.

other skills would be:
Cooking to cook your kills
Preserve food to preserve the meat
Hunting for the bonuses
Identify plants and fruit for identifying the many plants that armor can be made out of as well as plants that can be rendered into dyes and other useful byproducts.

The good news is almost all of these skills are available as Secondary Skills so you can learn most of them during your downtime while other players are learning spells, repairing bots etc.

Leather armor tends to sell for a little more than high tech armor because mages can use them and some people just prefer low tech goods.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Zerebus wrote:Do pick up Tailoring, the professional Sewing skill (Sewing taken twice). Whitling and sculpting can be redundant with the Art skill unless you also take it at a professional level.

In any case, some dinosaurs, such as the Tri-Tops, list some basic armor stats under their Value entry. Usually the most you can hope for is a light M.D.C. trenchcoat, but someone with the Leatherworking skill ought to be able to wrap the leather up into something more akin to the dragon hide armore in the Juicer Uprising book. I should point out that the hide armor does not have to be made out of actual dragon hide, so it can be used as a basis for other armors made out of M.D.C. hides.

also remeber that those mdc values are for nondragon hides
real dragon hide armor has a value of 200 mdc I believe
and it makes you look quite meancing when staring down a hatchling if your wearing an adults hide
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Zerebus wrote:Do pick up Tailoring, the professional Sewing skill (Sewing taken twice). Whitling and sculpting can be redundant with the Art skill unless you also take it at a professional level.

In any case, some dinosaurs, such as the Tri-Tops, list some basic armor stats under their Value entry. Usually the most you can hope for is a light M.D.C. trenchcoat, but someone with the Leatherworking skill ought to be able to wrap the leather up into something more akin to the dragon hide armore in the Juicer Uprising book. I should point out that the hide armor does not have to be made out of actual dragon hide, so it can be used as a basis for other armors made out of M.D.C. hides.

I would not take those numbers as gospel, there are plenty of different types of leather armor that have more MDC in various books.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Zerebus wrote:Different M.D.C.'s can be represented by different armor sources. Furty Beetle vs. Tri-Tops hide, layered Sarchosucus vs. Rhino Buffalo, etc. And of course, yes, dragon hide beats out most others.

Design and skill application are nearly as important.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

J_Danger wrote:Is there a place where there are rules for creating non-magical MDC leather armor with this skill? I figure with knives capable of dishing out MD and the creature's own tendons and the such as thread, this would be possible. I'm just looking for stats and maybe even an ingredient list. Some Rifter RCC I saw recently could do this magically, but I definitely just want some standard MDC armor.

thanks in advance

The PFRPG 2nd ed main book

Or is it in Yin Sloth?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”