Saving Throws vs Magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Saving Throws vs Magic

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Spell Strength:
  • 1 Is there any upward cap on the number one is expected to save against vs magic?
  • 2 Does spell strength continue ad infinitum, or is it capped at +4 (16 to save) unless the victim has bonuses, in which case it counts against the bonuses?
    IE, Jim Bob, my lvl 11 Shifter is aligned with a God of Magic and has +5 to spell strength. He casts a juiced up Blinding Flash (-1 to save) on Joe Bob, my lvl 3 vagabond. Joe has a PE of 27 and is normally +6 to save vs magic. No other bonuses to save apply. What must Joe roll to save vs being blinded?
  • 3 Does spell strength apply to rituals? And if not, why would one bother with a ritual (for ritual-optional spells) after reaching +4 spell strength?

1) 18 I think, I've had a char with a spell Str. of 18.
2) if both sets of bonuses are equal, then they effectively cancel each other out.
3) no. Ritual magic is always have a Spell Str. of 16.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

There's no cap on spell strength, except ways to get it. Most classes can only get +4, a shifter can get +6, and there are a handful of other ways to get more.

For your JimBob Shifter example, Joe has to roll a 12 to avoid getting blinded: +6 spell strength cancelled out by +6 to save vs. magic.

Ritual Magic should get plusses to spell strength, because otherwise it becomes useless past having +4 spell strength.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

• Is there any upward cap on the number one is expected to save against vs magic?
  • Does spell strength continue ad finitum, or is it capped at +4 (16 to save) unless the victim has bonuses, in which case it counts against the bonuses?
    IE, Jim Bob, my lvl 11 Shifter is aligned with a God of Magic and has +5 to spell strength. He casts a juiced up Blinding Flash (-1 to save) on Joe Bob, my lvl 3 vagabond. Joe has a PE of 27 and is normally +6 to save vs magic. No other bonuses to save apply. What must Joe roll to save vs being blinded?
  • Does spell strength apply to rituals? And if not, why would one bother with a ritual (for ritual-optional spells) after reaching +4 spell strength?

1) No.
2) Yes, spell strength bonuses can continue. In the example, Joe has to roll a 12 or better (since the spell strength bonus of +5 negates his net bonus to save of +5).
3) Energy. A single spell caster likely has only so much energy at one time, and he cannot draw on others in the course of casting save through ritual.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

• Is there any upward cap on the number one is expected to save against vs magic?
  • Does spell strength continue ad finitum, or is it capped at +4 (16 to save) unless the victim has bonuses, in which case it counts against the bonuses?
  • Does spell strength apply to rituals? And if not, why would one bother with a ritual (for ritual-optional spells) after reaching +4 spell strength?

1) No cap
2) The "normal" spell strength is capped at 16 for high level mages, but they still can have boni to add to their spell strength.
3) No, rituals are always at spell strength 16 regarding the level of the mages participating the ritual (so even three 1st level LLW have a spell strength of 16 during rituals).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”