Effects of Ley Lines on Magic and Psionics

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Granpafishy
D-Bee

Re: Effects of Ley Lines on Magic and Psionics

Unread post by Granpafishy »

I primarily use the info from Beyond the Supernatural 1st Ed.

What they can draw and effects on powers starts on page 131 under "Places of Power".

There is also a listing for prolonged exposure to said places on page 141.

If any of the other books gives a more favorable benefit, then I use that instead.

Tad
"The only Sane people in the world are those that are iNsAnE, and know it."
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Psychics can draw 1d6+1 ISP per round from a ley line, same for a nexus apparently (RUE pg 366), but can't go over their normal max.

A mage can hold 3 times their base PPE maximum on a ley line or nexus, and can retain it for 1 minute per PE point once away from the ley line/nexus (Book of Magic, pg. 21)

It used to be ley lines doubled spell effects & nexuses tripled them, but now I think ley lines are +50%, and nexuses are double. Don't have a handy page number for that one.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Talavar wrote:
A mage can hold 3 times their base PPE maximum on a ley line or nexus, and can retain it for 1 minute per PE point once away from the ley line/nexus (Book of Magic, pg. 21)

Does that Book of Magic rule combine with the RUE "draw X per round" ?

If so that changes things quite a bit. That means on a Ley Line or Nexus given enough time you can cast endless spells only limited by 3 x your PPE. It also limits the usefulness of planetary events, except when time is important.

I'd think about keeping the PPE drawn per 6 or 12 hour rule in RMB and combine it with these.

Does anyone have any experience in an actual game using the RUE system or changing from the RMB to RUE in the same campaign?

Thanks!!

C. Chopps
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

So for the psychic and ISP boost at a ley line or better. They can draw upon 1d6+1 ISP , could this extra ISP be used to recharge a Mind Melter or other psychic who has expended some points before arriving at said place of magic?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Topic.

I've been playing by house rules so long I can't even remember what the canon rules are. Went to look them up, only to discover that they're rather scattered in RUE.

Under Mind Melter OCC description:
  • +50% Range and Duration near a Ley Line.
  • Double Range, Duration, and Damage near a Nexus.

Under Pursuit of Magic:
  • It seems mages can draw 10 PPE per minute from a LL. 20 from a Nexus.
  • LLW, LLR, and Shifters can draw double.

What about:
  • The effects of LL and Nexus(es?) on spell magic?

See the Rifts Errata PDF on the cutting room floor, it has a lot of errata for Rifts Ultimate Edition, including the answer to this. Specifically: Double range and damage within 2 miles of a ley line and triple on a nexus. *6 range and damage when on a Super Nexus like the Devils Gate. x12 range and damage when inside of Stonehenge (Note: this is guarded by druids, not highly recommended, details of Stonehenge are found in Rifts England)

• Do psychics get increased ISP recovery near a ley line?
  • They can draw 1d6+1 PPE per melee when on it, it does not increase the rate of recovery via sleep or meditation however.
  • How much total ISP or PPE can a mage or psychic hold above/beyond their natural limit while on a ley line? How fast does it disperse once they leave the line?

• The mage can hold extra PPE equal to 3*PE. a Psychic can not hold any ISP over and must spend any extra on the turn they gain it.
  • Bonuses received while on a ley line?

• Dependant on OCC, usually none.
    Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
    Incriptus
    Hero
    Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
    Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Talavar wrote:Psychics can draw 1d6+1 ISP per round from a ley line, same for a nexus apparently (RUE pg 366), but can't go over their normal max.

Thank you for that page number, I had been looking for the rules on psychics and ley lines . . . It tells me the damage bonus on psionics is 1 dice on a ley line, 2 dice at a nexus line.

I'm interested in what order would you apply the following bonuses.

Telekenetic Accelleration Attack: 3d6 + 4 md
    Nexus Point: +2d6
    Psynetic Implant, Nano Amplifier: +50%
    Psynetic Implant, Psynetic Booster: +50%
    Psynetic Implant Side-Effect, Psychic Outburst: 50% chance to do Double Max Damage

I think I would do (5d6 + 4) * 2 normally, with a 50% chance of doing MAX[(5d6 + 4) * 2] * 2 for 136 points of damage.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”