Thoughts on rules from RUE with HU2

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Phadeout
Explorer

Thoughts on rules from RUE with HU2

Unread post by Phadeout »

Ok,

So, I'm just getting back in to running an HU2 game, first heroes I've played in almost 15 years. Now, I have rifts RUE, and I am very familiar with the changes from earlier versions to the new version. I wonder, and maybe someone can help me out here, is it worth using the Combat/Dodging/Spell Casting rules from RUE in HU2?

Mainly this would be:

1. The negative dodge modifiers for dodging bullets/blasts etc.
(I think this is good)

2. 2 attacks for Aimed shots, along with the other ranged combat RUE rules.
(not sure about this one... maybe not worth it as it would unbalance the folks with Powers vs. Guns)

3. Attacks per melee for Spell Casters. In RUE, you can cast more spells faster than in HU2, correct?
(I think this may be a good thing)

Thoughts? Corrections?

Cheers
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Thoughts on rules from RUE with HU2

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would only incorporate the new casting rules from rue.

Already incorporated perception rolls from NS/B.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Phadeout
Explorer

I think the dodge rules may also be good... thoughts?
Phadeout

EricvonEric
D-Bee

Unread post by EricvonEric »

I use the low attribute penalties for all PB games. I always wondered why they didn't have any before.
Phadeout
Explorer

EricvonEric wrote:I use the low attribute penalties for all PB games. I always wondered why they didn't have any before.

Ah! Good point! Another one to add to the list.
Phadeout

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I use most of RUE skills as they are Megaversal
I would use the chart for Attributes above 30 and low attributes
Experience Point Award Table
Insanity Charts
Combat Rules
Ranged Combat Rules
Missile Combat
Psychic Combat
Perception Rolls

HOWEVER, I won't use the Dodge Bullets and Energy Blasts. I've always said your not
dodging the bullet, your dodging the person or items aiming ability or the time it
takes to pull the trigger. I like the old way eveyrone has a chance to dodge, but I do agree
with the -10 on point blank.

I also refuse to give up x2 x5 x10 for burst damages as well as the x3 x8 x10,x20,x30 for
machineguns. I don't want a standard for all guns. Because they are all different and
unique, besides you can make and modify different bullets which do different damages and
that throws everything off.

The spirit of HU should be kept in its games. Your not playing Rifts with Superheroes, your
playing HU so use the book and most of its content, however its easy to see that Megaversal
Rules for all Palladium Books are changing (see RUE, Dead Reign, and BtS) so pretended that
HU simply got updated with some optional rules.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Phadeout wrote:Ok,

So, I'm just getting back in to running an HU2 game, first heroes I've played in almost 15 years. Now, I have rifts RUE, and I am very familiar with the changes from earlier versions to the new version. I wonder, and maybe someone can help me out here, is it worth using the Combat/Dodging/Spell Casting rules from RUE in HU2?

Mainly this would be:

1. The negative dodge modifiers for dodging bullets/blasts etc.
(I think this is good)

2. 2 attacks for Aimed shots, along with the other ranged combat RUE rules.
(not sure about this one... maybe not worth it as it would unbalance the folks with Powers vs. Guns)

3. Attacks per melee for Spell Casters. In RUE, you can cast more spells faster than in HU2, correct?
(I think this may be a good thing)

Thoughts? Corrections?

Cheers

For #1. and #2:

Are you going to apply these rules to energy expulsion powers as well as firearms? That's what would be consistant and fair. If you do use these rules, then you'll find both players and NPCs burning through attacks a lot faster than before.

As for my own opinions, I don't use these RUE rules in Rifts much less anywhere else. I might consider incorporating them in the future if I wanted a more realistic game.

#3. This rule makes mages more potent but I wouldn't say unbalancingly so. Actually, I'd been house ruling something similar for ages anyway.

Realistically it boils down to what you want in your game and how you want it to feel. If you've been using RUE rules and you like the RUE rules then it's simple enough to adapt them to Heroes Unlimited. If you don't, then the rules for Heroes Unlimited work well enough (allowing for any house rule that one may wish to use).
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”