Powered Palladin

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

Powered Palladin

Unread post by Crucible »

Hello.

A few years ago I allowed a Palladin to get Bio-Armor, Energy Sword, and Winged Flight. It made for an amazing campaign as the other players were simply Elves, Humans, and an Ogre. Long Bowman, a Soldier, and a Knight with minor psionics, and a Merc Warrior Ogre. It was real nice

Anyone else use a powered Palladin?
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Specter
Adventurer

Re: Powered Palladin

Unread post by Specter »

No.... wouldn't that kind of be... unbalanced?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

How was he powered and who powered him?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:How was he powered and who powered him?
This was some years ago, not quite sure. Didn't really matter as I recall.

I don't place Judeo/Christian beliefs in that setting at theleast. Whole different dimension.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:

I don't place Judeo/Christian beliefs in that setting at theleast. Whole different dimension.
Doesn't change the question any though.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:

If I remember right she was a mutant HU2.

I'm a little puzzled and I hope that I'm just imagining things, but have I offended you in some way? Do you have a problem with me?

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I daresay Misfit's question originates from the idea that a Paladin of the nature you describe is absurdly overpowered and out of balance for the PF world, especially given everybody else being normal. There is no mechanism in the PF mechanic to grant super powers, so the reasoning behind such a move becomes very important.

Basically, it looks to me like you inserted a flying cyber-knight or something. That's pretty munchy by anyone's standards - taking a creation from the most high-powered setting, and putting it in the most low-powered setting. I can't imagine how the other players must have felt, being permanent second fiddle to that fellow.

I'm not trying to rag on your game or anything, just trying to explain the hesitation to respond here.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:

I don't place Judeo/Christian beliefs in that setting at the least. Whole different dimension.

I'm a little puzzled and I hope that I'm just imagining things, but have I offended you in some way? Do you have a problem with me?
I'm not seeing the why and how of a powered paladin in a setting without the mechanics for one. Paladins here are just well trained knights, not enforcers of a god's justice. I'm confused on that especially given your preference for priests of Yahweh to have no power. I'm not following your reasoning here.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Couldn't one argue the Undead Hunter is a powered Palladin or the Holy Crusader. They are
fighters with spells and in the case of a UD loaded with magic weapons.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

To an extent, they are. However, having spells v. having powerful, always-on natural abilities is a fair bit different.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Crucible
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Crucible wrote:

I don't place Judeo/Christian beliefs in that setting at the least. Whole different dimension.

I'm not seeing the why and how of a powered paladin in a setting without the mechanics for one. Paladins here are just well trained knights, not enforcers of a god's justice. I'm confused on that especially given your preference for priests of Yahweh to have no power. I'm not following your reasoning here.

I got the idea from Heroes Unlimited GM's guide, so it must have been on somene else's mind first...the Palladium world is rich wth differences and a many different things. Trust me, my players love my games because of the inner struggle, the personal conflicts, and others but yeah my games may not look anything like yours. I asked a simple and valid question "Had anyone else done this?" and instead of any type of interesting addendum I get a bunch of condescension. I'm use to MB's getting the elite "Well thats too______" on any given new comer, but I ejoy my topics. Read Heroes Unlimited Gamemaster's Guide Cat. No. 516 Pg. 70 Line 15. Thats were the idea came from. Ask KS where the idea came from.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Sounds like an interesting idea and one that easily crosses over with the megaverse.

It twist is having one central powerful character and the other PC's as relative nobodies. Its like Inspector Gadget without Penny & Brains :lol: A clear focally point for all NPCs and mobs with the other PC's bailing him out. He's not that over powered. Psi sword, plate armour, fly as eagle ring. Any clumber of slumber and he's as screwed as the rest (especially if he was flying at the time).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Crucible
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:Sounds like an interesting idea and one that easily crosses over with the megaverse.

It twist is having one central powerful character and the other PC's as relative nobodies. Its like Inspector Gadget without Penny & Brains :lol: A clear focally point for all NPCs and mobs with the other PC's bailing him out. He's not that over powered. Psi sword, plate armour, fly as eagle ring. Any clumber of slumber and he's as screwed as the rest (especially if he was flying at the time).

Yeah, none of the players seemed to mind. Just posters for some odd reason.

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

My biggest question is this... was the palladin from the PF world originally, or did he/she come from HU dimension? If from HU, were they all about trying to get back? Otherwise, a good aligned palladin would likely try and lay low so that their super powers don't cause too much strife in a largely underpowered world. I have one player in my game who originated on Rifts Earth and was tech heavy, a tinkerer. On PF, he has found his calling as a Holy Crusader, but he keeps his technology, of which he still has much, a closely guarded secret. He understands that introducing a technologically unsophisticated world to the technology of Rifts Earth would be greatly damaging. (Imagine what would happen if the Middle Kingdoms of the Empire got hold of this technology?) I think your idea has a great deal of potential if handled correctly, but that depends largely on the player in control of the character, and you, the GM. Still, it could be a very good idea!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Crucible
Champion

Northern Ranger wrote:My biggest question is this... was the palladin from the PF world originally, or did he/she come from HU dimension? If from HU, were they all about trying to get back? Otherwise, a good aligned palladin would likely try and lay low so that their super powers don't cause too much strife in a largely underpowered world. I have one player in my game who originated on Rifts Earth and was tech heavy, a tinkerer. On PF, he has found his calling as a Holy Crusader, but he keeps his technology, of which he still has much, a closely guarded secret. He understands that introducing a technologically unsophisticated world to the technology of Rifts Earth would be greatly damaging. (Imagine what would happen if the Middle Kingdoms of the Empire got hold of this technology?) I think your idea has a great deal of potential if handled correctly, but that depends largely on the player in control of the character, and you, the GM. Still, it could be a very good idea!

The story included a prophecy an a mutant gene causing the anomoly. A priest of light had found the child in the wilderness and thought that it was a sign from his god. He took the child into the temple raising him up along with the Palladin who then began training him.

The campaign ran for years. Believe me,he wasn't a world beater and was full of struggle, but he did not live around people. No one knew about his powers as a whole, but astime went on he met some others along the way who joined him in fulfilling the prophecy.

In roleplay, you can do anything.

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Thank you. I believe that might clarify some points for the others. I, personally, think it was a fantastic idea and if played right would have been fun to be a part of. Well done.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Crucible
Champion

Northern Ranger wrote:Thank you. I believe that might clarify some points for the others. I, personally, think it was a fantastic idea and if played right would have been fun to be a part of. Well done.

Thanks man. I'm a sucker for a storyline. I try and be careful to not allow an ability or OCC without good reason.

Typical character selection process.

Me: Okay guys, sit there and think of what you would like to play and write it down. Remember that I will then give you the most applicable OCC and we'll go from there.

Player 1: Yeah, I want to be a matrixy character...

Me: Why?

Player 1: They are sooooo kewl.

Me: No.

Player 2: I want a character that has a tendacy to think of himself as having a destiny, but he's stuck in a round the clock duty.

Me: How about a Soldier?

Player 2: Awesome, even beter if the Soldier has an anomoly that isn't very noticeable yet.

Me: How about Healing Factor and Extraordinary PE?

Playe 2: Can we roll him up now?

Me: Lets do it.

Crucible
Champion

Tyciol wrote:I don't think a Paladin with winged flight makes that much sense. Wouldn't the wings actually create air resistance that would interfere with charging on a horse? It'd be more interesting if it was a Quidnunc Paladin merged with a Succubus :)

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”