Question about Teleport Lesser

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Question about Teleport Lesser

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Under teleport lesser it gives a duration of 30 seconds.

It seems strange that an instantaneous travel spell takes 30 seconds.
I am picturing a transporter like effect of it slowly dissapearing then rematerializing at it's destination.

My question is, Does the mage touch the object for 30 seconds then it sends the object off,
or does the mage touch the object and then thirty seconds later it appears at the destination ?

Your help, thoughts on this appreciated.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Question about Teleport Lesser

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Astral_Explorer wrote:Under teleport lesser it gives a duration of 30 seconds.

I am picturing a transporter like effect of it slowly dissapearing then rematerializing at it's destination.

My question is, Does the mage touch the object for 30 seconds then it sends the object off,
or does the mage touch the object and then thirty seconds later it appears at the destination ?

I believe that it means that it takes 30 seconds to cast.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Astral_Explorer wrote:Under teleport lesser it gives a duration of 30 seconds.

IMHO (and has I play it), you cast the spell and than you have 30 seconds to sent the object somewhere. If you do not sent it in this timeframe, than the object will stay where it is.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Thanks for your ideas/help
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Astral_Explorer wrote:Thanks for your ideas/help

You are welcome :wink:.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Correct: You cast it, then you have 2 melee rounds to actually use it on something.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Karsus wrote:Munchkin Slappin GM is correct. You cast the spell, the item vanishes and 30 seconds later it appears (you hope) where you sent it.

If you do use it with explosives like fusion blocks etc, it's best used agains very slow moving, or stationary targets.

Except that the text says "Instantly transported anywhere up to miles away". Which means that interpretation cannot be correct.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Karsus wrote:Munchkin Slappin GM is correct. You cast the spell, the item vanishes and 30 seconds later it appears (you hope) where you sent it.

If you do use it with explosives like fusion blocks etc, it's best used agains very slow moving, or stationary targets.

Except that the text says "Instantly transported anywhere up to miles away". Which means that interpretation cannot be correct.

From Teleport:Lesser ( From RUE. page 211)

Duration:Requires two full melee (30 seconds).

The wording "Requires 30sec." has to apply to the time it takes for the object to travel from one place to the other. It makes sense no other way. I know all the other T-Porting spells are intstantly from one place to another, but there all expensive in PPE costs . T-Port:lesser is the cheep one that should allow you to T-Port explosive and suff at peoples feet. So stuff like that didn't happen all the time KS built in two safety messures 1. a fisked 80% + 2% per level success ratio, 2. 30 sec. to get there.

Except that interpretation is in direct contradition to the text. What you say makes no sense. Your argument as a balance issue also seems odd, as i've never seen T-port even attempted to be used in that way.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

From Teleport:Lesser ( From RUE. page 211)

Duration:Requires two full melee (30 seconds).

The wording "Requires 30sec." has to apply to the time it takes for the object to travel from one place to the other. It makes sense no other way. I know all the other T-Porting spells are intstantly from one place to another, but there all expensive in PPE costs . T-Port:lesser is the cheep one that should allow you to T-Port explosive and suff at peoples feet. So stuff like that didn't happen all the time KS built in two safety messures 1. a fisked 80% + 2% per level success ratio, 2. 30 sec. to get there.

Except that interpretation is in direct contradition to the text. What you say makes no sense. Your argument as a balance issue also seems odd, as i've never seen T-port even attempted to be used in that way.

My interpretation my contradict the spell discription, but I feel its a propper interpretation of the the spell components (Range, Duration, Saving Throw, ect.). The component parts always over rule the spell description. At least thats how it is at my game table. Also if you have had a magic using PC try and T-Port a bag of live grenades into the middle of a Dead Boy platoon. You kknow nothing about muchkins and munchkinism.

Not really, the interpretation that you have 30 seconds in which to teleport something is a perfectly valid way to look at the components. Just because you think it's too powerful dosn't mean that's not how the spell is intended to work.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:If the teleportwas instant it woul become on of the most powerful spell in the game.

so?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Karsus wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:If the teleportwas instant it woul become on of the most powerful spell in the game.

so?

So, it obviously was not meant to work that way...

What's obvious to one person is not what's obvious to everyone, apparently.

I'm not saying the spell can't be abused, i'm just saying just because the offical version of the spell is broken dosn't mean that it's not how it's supposed to work.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”