Dimensional Portal Question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wildfire142
D-Bee

Dimensional Portal Question

Unread post by wildfire142 »

How large can a dimensional portal be? width, height etc

Would this size be modified by being cast on a) leyline b)nexus?

I only have access to the pdf's from DriveThruRPG currently, saw the pdf's for sale and it rekindled my interest in Rifts, I have a an Idea for a campaign but it hinges on the use of Dimensional Portal the hence questions
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Dimensional Portal Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

wildfire142 wrote:How large can a dimensional portal be? width, height etc

I only have access to the pdf's from DriveThruRPG currently, saw the pdf's for sale and it rekindled my interest in Rifts, I have a an Idea for a campaign but it hinges on the use of Dimensional Portal the hence questions

Depends on the spell you use.

Shifters can open a door-sized one ment to let human-sized ones though.

I genearlly assume the default rift is large enough to let a full grown dragon though, considering they use it a lot and quite possibly invented the spell

However, the Splurgorth saved and enslaved the kittani by rescuring them from the mechanoids by opening a rift large enough to let FLEETS OF GIANT WARSHIPS THOUGH.

Meaning, essentially, the size of the rift depends solely on how much PPE you invest in tearing the fabric of realiity.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
wildfire142 wrote:How large can a dimensional portal be? width, height etc

Depends on the spell you use.

Shifters can open a door-sized one ment to let human-sized ones though.

I genearlly assume the default rift is large enough to let a full grown dragon though, considering they use it a lot and quite possibly invented the spell

However, the Splurgorth saved and enslaved the kittani by rescuring them from the mechanoids by opening a rift large enough to let FLEETS OF GIANT WARSHIPS THOUGH.

Meaning, essentially, the size of the rift depends solely on how much PPE you invest in tearing the fabric of realiity.
What she said.

The Atlantean Super-Rift was supposed to be hundreds if not thousands of feet across.....and in the Phase World Sourcebook, SOMETHING with a single eye being ten miles across opened a Rift that size just so it could peek through (it caused the disease that has permanently crippled the In'valian race).
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
wildfire142
D-Bee

Unread post by wildfire142 »

Thanks for all the info, AS I'm the GM its my call on size but was wanting to stay within the rules if possible, I'm going to pick a copy of RUE once I get back onshore from work. :)

For now will go with 10ftx10ft per level of experience.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tyciol wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I genearlly assume the default rift is large enough to let a full grown dragon though, considering they use it a lot and quite possibly invented the spell
I'm not so sure about this... dragons can morph to the size of a human to get through smaller portals, and they have a natural ability to dimensional teleport so I don't think they would use this unless they had a lot of equipment to bring or needed to transport others... and for treasure storage they have those unique D&G powers.

They can only Dimensionally teleport to places they've been before. You can't use it randomly for exploration. Furthermore it's silly to think dragons metamorph every time they wanna travel.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wildfire142 wrote:1) How large can a dimensional portal be? width, height etc

2) Would this size be modified by being cast on a) leyline b)nexus?

1) If you are talking about an spell made D-portal, then see mystic portal and D-T-Port for your answers.
if talking about a natural d-portal, which can be called Rifts, then there is absolute no size limits
In PW or PW2 there are rift jump drives for ships.

2) if you are the GM it's your call, if not, it's your GM's call. But I would say no, nether LL nor LLN would have an appreciable effect on the size of the portal.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TrumbachD wrote:With all this talk of Dimensional Portals, What about Extra-Dimensional Rooms, Spaces like Thraxus' White tower on Phase world?
Shouldn't Palladium have a spell or ritual to create these kinds of pocket spaces even temporarily (But of course a Diabolists Permanence ward might be attached).
If one was going to do something like that what would the PPE cost be?

The spell already exsists, it's called Dimensional Envelope. it's a Temporal Magic spell, meaning only those who can learn Temporal magic can make them. Those being: Temporal Raiders, Temporal Warriors, Temporal Wizards, Ley Line Walkers, and Shifters level 10 or higher.

Or a shifter who makes a pact with a god of magic and is granted temporal spells as part of the deal.

Any witch who is bonded to a demon lord or alien intelligence with the Gift of Union, can use any spell known to said Demon Lord or Alien Intelligence, and thus could cast the spell that way.

Therotically, a Rune Weapon could be bestowed with the spell to use on command.

and of course, if the spell is put on a scroll or talismen, anyone can use it.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TrumbachD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:With all this talk of Dimensional Portals, What about Extra-Dimensional Rooms, Spaces like Thraxus' White tower on Phase world?
Shouldn't Palladium have a spell or ritual to create these kinds of pocket spaces even temporarily (But of course a Diabolists Permanence ward might be attached).

The spell already exsists, it's called Dimensional Envelope. it's a Temporal Magic spell, meaning only those who can learn Temporal magic can make them. Those being: Temporal Raiders, Temporal Warriors, Temporal Wizards, Ley Line Walkers, and Shifters level 10 or higher.

Or a shifter who makes a pact with a god of magic and is granted temporal spells as part of the deal.

Any witch who is bonded to a demon lord or alien intelligence with the Gift of Union, can use any spell known to said Demon Lord or Alien Intelligence, and thus could cast the spell that way.

thanks for the info. Guess i do need Rifts england. only reason i didn't get it yet was i'd heard some lackluster reviews.

Temporal Magic is about the only good thing in it.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TrumbachD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

thanks for the info. Guess i do need Rifts england. only reason i didn't get it yet was i'd heard some lackluster reviews.

Temporal Magic is about the only good thing in it.

That's pretty much what I'd Heard, but since my gaming budget is somewhat limited (disability)
I was think Dimension Book seven Megaverse Builder might be better for this kind of thing. If I could impose upon you for your advice, wich would you suggest?

I don't have Megaverse Builder, so I really can't comment on it.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”