M.E. bonuses and HF

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

M.E. bonuses and HF

Unread post by Yendor »

Since it's overlooked in every palladium book (even the new BtS book), what's your view on M.E. providing a bonus to save vs. HF? Sure, gives a save vs. insanity/psionics, but no place mentions it adds to HF as well.
Cybermancer
Hero

Re: M.E. bonuses and HF

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I apply the save vs insanity from M.E. to Horror Factor.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the books apply the PE bonus to vs HF.

But applying the Save vs insanity (using the table in PF2 or RUE) [not the save vs PSI table] sounds a better idea then using PE as the basis, to me.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

:-? How does PE effect your ability to resist fear? I'm still tryinig to figure out why M.E.
doesn't provide a bonus to save vs. possession. You can use it for mind control and
psionics, but not possession :?: .
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Okay, follow me on this if you can. When a person gets scared, yeah it's a mental strain, but what does it do to a person physically? It can make you freeze up, or flee in terror, it makes your heart pound, your adrenaline rush and even your hands could shake. So I would look at PE as a save vs HF not as defeating the HF itself, but instead as a means of defeating its effects. Just some food for thought from a devil's advocate! :demon:
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you think of a monster that has an HF, has a mystical field about it causing that HF reaction then the use of PE for vs HF makes sense.
(is not advocating this, just putting the words out there)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Carindel
Explorer

Unread post by Carindel »

Mephisto wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:Okay, follow me on this if you can. When a person gets scared, yeah it's a mental strain, but what does it do to a person physically? It can make you freeze up, or flee in terror, it makes your heart pound, your adrenaline rush and even your hands could shake. So I would look at PE as a save vs HF not as defeating the HF itself, but instead as a means of defeating its effects. Just some food for thought from a devil's advocate! :demon:

I think a failed save vs. horror factor should be more than "Whew, that was scary, but I'm OK now." A scarred psyche can be a very damning thing, and I also think that M.E. is a better save. But the Deevil's Advocate role is interesting, because a character with a high P.E. will likely not freeze, but with a low M.A. or M.E. might cower and go blank mentally, just blubbering on, while a character with a low P.E. and high M.A. might freeze, while a character with a high M.E. but low P.E. and M.A. might freeze, but be aware of what the creature is doing, and plan an escape once the creatures attention is diverted elsewhere. Just another thought on the topic.

Good ideas all. Can anyone tell me where in the books it states that the PE bonus applies vs. HF? I personally apply the ME bonus, but this has given me food for thought...
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

A note about the experience angle... in the 2nd edition BTS (and I think the Dead Reign book), the PCC's usually get bonuses to save HF as they go up in levels as they become more conditioned and experienced to the horror their physical and mental being suffers.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Is it possible that a mod could poke Kevin for an official ruling, since no book, anywhere, lists which attribute, gives a bonus vs. HF/AF (sure, various O.C.C.s and Categories gain it, whether initial or as they level up, or both, but nowhere that I know of that lists what attribute helps with a save vs. HF/AF).
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

To be honest just about every game I've GMed ME has been the dump stat that nobody cared to have high enough to have a large bonus, so this never really came up much.

But, I agree ME makes much more sense than PE
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Lobo wrote:
Specter wrote:Really? PP, ME and PE are usually the most popular stats I have seen.

I hear ya. I think it may depend on the game. I run BTS most of the time and due to the nature of the beast, my player about do backflips when their characters get a high M.E. or just bonues to save against insanity, psionics, etc.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”