Anyone have any trouble GMing some of the Nightbane Talents?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Re: Anyone have any trouble GMing some of the Nightbane Talents?

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Canawupas wrote:I ran into a snafu while roleplaying a group of Nightbane where one of them was zipping all over creation in the phone lines with Lightning Rider. There's no real defintion of skill checks and to what ends the player can and cannot go.
Can the PC who has the proper skills literally jump in to the electric outlet and wind up in the janitor's closet at NORAD?
Would you make them expend PPE in order to tranformers they'd have to "pass through"
OR
Would you view the "electrical/internet world" like a wierd static filled version of the Astral Plane?
your thoughts....

Yes to the Astral Plane.
As to NORAD... No, that's not possable. Not because of the powers potantial limitations but rather because of Physics. Most all of NORAD runs both Phone, Electrical Power & Internet Off the grid! Secondly, what of the military that is Nightlord controlled is aware of this trick/Talent and is ready for it.
And what is controlled by the "Shadow US Gov." is equally aware of the trick since they have Psychers that can surf the net via Telemechanics. So BOTH would have some counter measures waiting for your player when he/she/it exits the Only 'Open Lines' (Say the public phone in the lobby) that may available to them. No one else may know IT is even there, invisable, waiting for you... But it's there, count on it.

Americans-"Military Intelligence, Two words combined that Don't make sence!"
The REAL Government-"They feel for it... Again!"

The first rules of war is Always make your opponent undersetimate you abilities.
Second is "Keep your Allies Close and your Enemies closer!"
The Third Rule of war is "EVERYONE, even your friends and Allies, ARE YOUR ENEMIES!"
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

As to the power being Too powerful, Not really since Supers in HUL & Telemechanics in Rifts can both do this and do it Better at that. Let your players have fun to a point...
Than screw them bad with Logic and Reason... Like meeting Another Line traveler... Or getting Caught in a Sealed circut breaker that they Trip while going through a hard line into the Pentigon one day! Let them walk All over you and you keep on smiling till they make a mistake, and if they Don't, than that's fine too.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I don't think that power is over powered. It's more fun than anything, and becomes utterly useless way out in the boonies, and getting into places that are indeed off the grid. I wouldn't put skill check limitations on it. Nightbane are supposed to be powerful. It makes it more fun when you drop a pack of hounds down their throat and they realize the room they walked into has no electrical outlets to jump through.

And, Steeler had some great tricks as well. Psychics, hounds, and such in the building they are jumping into, tripping a circuit breaker, hells bells... lightning striking and they wake up three counties over with a headache, or running into another lightning rider of course. Don't over use these barriers but occassionally would be fine as long as they make sense.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well it's pretty much the problem with any movement power, expecially those who involve teleportation. They're a double edged sword, they're great for when the journey isn't important, but they suck when the journey is as important as the desination.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Like avoiding important encounters? If the story is set up ahead of time it shouldn't change anything. Even if they miss talking to that homeless guy who secretly is the only one who knows the monsters true form/weakness.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They have to actually know where they are coming out of or else they appear randomly in the Utah power grid in a bathroom.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Nightbane®”