Dark Day in the Arctic Circle

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cybermancer
Hero

Re: Dark Day in the Arctic Circle

Unread post by Cybermancer »

There is no group living in the North American portion of the artic circle so isolated from the world that they would not have heard about Dark Day on the television, radio or by word of mouth. They may not experience or know what was going on until later, but they would eventually find out.

I sincerely doubt that there are any such groups in Europe or Asia that wouldn't have similar access to television, radio and most especially, word of mouth.

Communities in the artic circle are often isolated from the rest of the world for long stretches of time but this is mitigated by radio and television broadcasts. In the winter, connection with the outside world is made on the ice roads and by bush plane. In the summer, travel actually gets more problematic as rivers, lakes and streams all unfreeze. Bush planes are still available and travel by foot is common. And through it all, there is radio and television which is even more accessible now with satellite technology.

Even the most remote Innuit communities will have snowmobiles and radios. Members of these communities will travel to the larger communities periodically for the purposes of trade and to get news. Long gone are the days of Innuit communities living in Igloos, using only dog sleds to get around with.

So years after Dark Day, everyone is going to have an inkling of what's going on.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mephisto wrote:I wonder how interesting it would be for a group to be in the Arctic Circle, where on March 6, 2000 even though it was dark everywhere, in the Arctic Circle it would seem like another day. The clouds could account for the lack of moon and stars, so years from Dark Day, and the characters north of the Arctic Circle could have no idea of what is going on in the rest of the world.

You just said it yourself. They would have no idea what's going on and they're out in the middle of nowhere.

Interesting isn't the right word. they'd find it boring as hell.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I mean I thought most of the point of dark day is that most peope either want to or have dismissed Dark Day as some kind of massive prank. They pretend it never happened and live their lives as normally as possible. Obviously Moloch isn't running around in the day time and dopplegangers aren't telling people that they are from some kind of dark dimension.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Specter wrote:I mean I thought most of the point of dark day is that most peope either want to or have dismissed Dark Day as some kind of massive prank. They pretend it never happened and live their lives as normally as possible. Obviously Moloch isn't running around in the day time and dopplegangers aren't telling people that they are from some kind of dark dimension.

Okay. So nothing's happening in the artic circle.

"Okay, you're all in the artic Circle. Dark Day was just another day for you. There are no Nightlord minions around so you have nothing to do. The end"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Unless someone there goes through their Becoming.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Specter wrote:I mean I thought most of the point of dark day is that most peope either want to or have dismissed Dark Day as some kind of massive prank. They pretend it never happened and live their lives as normally as possible. Obviously Moloch isn't running around in the day time and dopplegangers aren't telling people that they are from some kind of dark dimension.

"Okay, you're all in the artic Circle. Dark Day was just another day for you. There are no Nightlord minions around so you have nothing to do. The end"

Vampires baby... vampires. Lots of them, 24/7 nonstop carnage. And, yes the becoming for the characters if that's who they are.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Specter wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Vampires baby... vampires. Lots of them, 24/7 nonstop carnage. And, yes the becoming for the characters if that's who they are.

Your alone up there. Who's there to turn into vampires? And if so, why are there more vampires than people to feed on.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Mephisto wrote:I wonder how interesting it would be for a group to be in the Arctic Circle, where on March 6, 2000 even though it was dark everywhere, in the Arctic Circle it would seem like another day. The clouds could account for the lack of moon and stars, so years from Dark Day, and the characters north of the Arctic Circle could have no idea of what is going on in the rest of the world.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Dark Day was only two weeks before the spring equinox. Only a small patch at the top of the Arctic Sea would've still been experiencing 24 hour nights. And it would've been more like a perpetual twilight with the sun never quite peeking above the horizon rather than the dead of night.

So if anyone was up there (polar explorers anyone?), they'd probably notice.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Flip thisw concept on it s head, and give a tip of the hat to John Carpenter. have the scenario in the Antarctic.

See, in March, at the South Pole, its just starting to turn into winter... so the Dark Day would certainly be noticed. Also, there are some research bases there that would have as many as 50 people there in March.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Braden Campbell wrote:Flip thisw concept on it s head, and give a tip of the hat to John Carpenter. have the scenario in the Antarctic.

See, in March, at the South Pole, its just starting to turn into winter... so the Dark Day would certainly be noticed. Also, there are some research bases there that would have as many as 50 people there in March.

The next question is "would the Nightlords bother doing anything special down there?"

None of the Antarctic stations (permanently manned or otherwise) are anywhere close to being self-sufficient, and all rely on being resupplied at great expense by the countries that run them. From the Nightlord perspective, the human presence in Antarctica is probably seen as a problem that'll solve itself as long as the larger plan of world conquest works out properly.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Rallan wrote:The next question is "would the Nightlords bother doing anything special down there?"

None of the Antarctic stations (permanently manned or otherwise) are anywhere close to being self-sufficient, and all rely on being resupplied at great expense by the countries that run them. From the Nightlord perspective, the human presence in Antarctica is probably seen as a problem that'll solve itself as long as the larger plan of world conquest works out properly.

That's when you throw the 'something buried under the ice' story line in with one of the bases getting to close. It could be something they want, or something that's a threat to them like a John Carpenter's Thing creature imprisoned there that can mess up their plans if it gets lose. Granted it's not going to be good for humans either if something like that got lose, but it could make for a fun adventure.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Aku-Arkaine
Wanderer

Unread post by Aku-Arkaine »

Specter wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I saw this movie. It was called 30 days of Night.
Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Rallan wrote:The next question is "would the Nightlords bother doing anything special down there?"

That's when you throw the 'something buried under the ice' story line in with one of the bases getting to close. It could be something they want, or something that's a threat to them like a John Carpenter's Thing creature imprisoned there that can mess up their plans if it gets lose. Granted it's not going to be good for humans either if something like that got lose, but it could make for a fun adventure.

Daniel Stoker

Or if you don't want your players accusing you of ripping off Lovecraft, you could just make it "something in the Nightlands". Antarctica is more or less utterly uninhabitable, but its Nightlands counterpart is (presumably) no nastier than the rest of the Nightlands and has the added bonus of being about as far from the Citystates as you can get.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Rallan wrote:Or if you don't want your players accusing you of ripping off Lovecraft, you could just make it "something in the Nightlands". Antarctica is more or less utterly uninhabitable, but its Nightlands counterpart is (presumably) no nastier than the rest of the Nightlands and has the added bonus of being about as far from the Citystates as you can get.

Pfft, why would I care, I rip off anything I can get my hands on.. which is why I've run 'From Beyond' and 'Reanimator' in at least three different game systems now. ;)

But yes that would work too, but my point was that there are always things you can do to make a location work out, plus the inherent isolation factor of Antarctica works in your favor too.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Nightbane®”