Guardians?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Guardians?

Unread post by MrMom »

I just got the core book and was wondering if the Guardians were expanded on in any of the later books?
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Re: Guardians?

Unread post by Steeler49er »

No, not really...
Between the Shadows (a Much nessisary book to have fer Any PB game system) cane the closest... And that was only one inch.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

There's some good expansions on the Lightbringers in Shadows of Light, which includes information about the guardians and also their void ships.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

MrMom wrote:I just got the core book and was wondering if the Guardians were expanded on in any of the later books?

Keep a watch here, as the Lightbringer Faction Book is one I have staked out to write in the (somewhat) near future. I think it's going to make you guys see the Guardians in a whole new light (yes, the pun was sort-of intended). :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well yes they do seem that way, but part of it seems to be the fact that unlike regular people who have a full spectrum of backgrounds and abilities, Guardians are frankly made to be goodie-goodies by whomever it is that makes them in the first place. I'd honestly like to see more about what the older Guardians know even if we don't ever get a full background into who makes them, as well as a bit more info on what their faction is like and some better insight into the personalities of individual Guardians and other Lightbringer members.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Where are you getting that you don't get a choice or not from? I thought they left that whole creation thing vague and unanswered.

Daniel Stoker
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Where are you getting that you don't get a choice or not from? I thought they left that whole creation thing vague and unanswered.

Daniel Stoker

They did... which might become a little less vague with my material. :)

The Last Darkness wrote:Anyways Warwolf I do hope you intend to update the Fallen Guardians a bit, it is my opinion there there should be some evil guardians who still have an duse their full powers of light.

I hate to disappoint, but I do not intend to do anything with Mr. Vey's Fallen Guardian. I have my own brands of nastiness in mind. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I can see it now. Guardians with whips, chains, and biker leathers.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Daniel Stoker
Knight

RockJock wrote:I can see it now. Guardians with whips, chains, and biker leathers.

To late, already made that character as an NPC. But I will admit she had white leather clothes not black. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
RockJock wrote:I can see it now. Guardians with whips, chains, and biker leathers.

To late, already made that character as an NPC. But I will admit she had white leather clothes not black. ;)

Daniel Stoker

Hah! And funny enough, my player that runs a Guardian in my campaign has joked about dressing his character up as a goth kid for a disguise... :lol:

But no, for more insight into my nefarious plans you should check out Irvin and I on Gateway to the Megaverse episode 55. We're also trying to work out an engagement with Mr. Perrin for Echoes, but I haven't heard from him today...
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Warwolf wrote:
MrMom wrote:I just got the core book and was wondering if the Guardians were expanded on in any of the later books?

Keep a watch here, as the Lightbringer Faction Book is one I have staked out to write in the (somewhat) near future. I think it's going to make you guys see the Guardians in a whole new light (yes, the pun was sort-of intended). :)

And until that comes out, you could always just buy some Hunter: the Reckoning books. That game's out of print, so they'll be secondhand and cheap now :)
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Maybe they changed stuff, but from what I remember of the Hunters in WW they weren't very much like the Guardians other then them typically not liking vampires.

Daniel Stoker
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I only had one Guardian in a game... she put all of her PPE into one light blast and blew up a mall.... totally missed that hound she was aiming at.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Maybe they changed stuff, but from what I remember of the Hunters in WW they weren't very much like the Guardians other then them typically not liking vampires.

Daniel Stoker

Not much like Guardians except that they're a bunch of regular people who get fantastic baddy-hunting abilities from an unknown power and are driven by their connection with that power to seek out and smite monsters, and nobody is sure whether the force behind them really has good intentions or not.

Totally different, yeah :D
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I wouldn't make any connection between Hunters and Guardians. Guardians are a lot more fun to play than most WW stuff. And, by "fun" I mean "powerful" Cause sometimes you just want to kill a nest of vampires with a glance and put the fear of God into the other PCs.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Rallan wrote:Not much like Guardians except that they're a bunch of regular people who get fantastic baddy-hunting abilities from an unknown power and are driven by their connection with that power to seek out and smite monsters, and nobody is sure whether the force behind them really has good intentions or not.

Which version was that? The old green book and then the red one didn't have anything like that.

Daniel Stoker
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Specter wrote:I wouldn't make any connection between Hunters and Guardians. Guardians are a lot more fun to play than most WW stuff. And, by "fun" I mean "powerful" Cause sometimes you just want to kill a nest of vampires with a glance and put the fear of God into the other PCs.

Conceptually they were almost identical. It's just that Guardians are combat wombats in their setting while Hunters were given more subtle powers to help play up the angle of them being underdogs who need to work together to change the world.

And you should embrace the similarities. It's one of the rare examples where we can make outrageous claims about White Wolf ripping off Palladium :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Rallan wrote:Not much like Guardians except that they're a bunch of regular people who get fantastic baddy-hunting abilities from an unknown power and are driven by their connection with that power to seek out and smite monsters, and nobody is sure whether the force behind them really has good intentions or not.

Which version was that? The old green book and then the red one didn't have anything like that.

Daniel Stoker

You might be thinking about Hunters Hunted rather than Hunter: the Reckoning. Hunted was a V:tM sourcebook for folks who wanted to run a campaign about mortals who know that vampires exist and are trying to stop them. Reckoning was an RPG in its own right about mortals who'd become "Imbued" by a mysterious (and possibly malevolent, but you never know for sure) cosmic power which gives them powers to find and combat supernatural beings, and warps their personalities so they're driven and totally dedicated to the cause. Hopefully you're not thinking about Demon Hunter X though. Most World of Darkness fans like to pretend that that book doesn't exist :)

Oh and in case you didn't know, there's also a Hunter game for the new World of Darkness. Haven't got my hands on it myself yet, but apparently Hunter: the Vigil is more like the old Hunters Hunted. The PCs are regular people who know about the supernatural, and may or may not belong to a wide range of organisations from Men in Black style agencies to global cults to local "neighborhood watch" groups.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Ok, I knew ABOUT there being a Hunters: The Reckoning but that came out after my WW group pretty much disbanded so I never even looked over the book since only of the people in our group ever played a Hunter. And dear lord no, I know all about Demon Hunter X and our storyteller who loved hunters wouldn't even allow that book to be brought to the table, but we also avoided a lot of the Eastern WW stuff since it didn't really fit with our America centric game.

Daniel Stoker
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Actually there's more to Guardians than just their asskicking powers. They're also supposed to get psychic premonitions and dreams encouraging them to take certain courses of action, and presumably an inhuman level of dedication that keeps them dedicating their whole life to the cause even though nobody's holding a gun to their head and making them do it.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The Last Darkness wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I totally dig the idea that Kevin Hassal had in Through the Glass Darkly about Lucifer being an ancient Guardian and the Guardians being his creations. I could see Lucifer also being the force behind the voice for Lord Foulseed as well, trying to destabilize and destroy the Nightlords because they are threatening the balance between Hell and Earth, and he won't tolerate that.

Indeed, but thats to close for comfort in the religeon department.

Yeah Palladium's got a long history of being jittery whenever it comes to anything which might offend US popular opinion.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

The Last Darkness wrote:The more im thinking about it the more and more appealing it is to play a Disillusioned Rebel Guardian who left the Lightbringers Faction.
Play a Abberant Evil Guardian, with a Ruthless disposition and a Fatalistic view of the world.

Hmmm for a little flavour can a Guardian be a Sword Bearer OCC?
Or more acuretly have been a Sword Bearer before becoming a Guardian and still gets some of that OCCs benefits and Artifact?
Like say make his skills influenced by the Sword bearers skills?
For thematic reasons I want to have a Artifact Mask with defensive powers.

Hmmm food for thought any ideas?

Sounds pretty cool, I'd go with it. Also, Darker and Edgier is cool in its own right. And anything with lucifer that doesn't involve the sacrifice of anyone's first born child tends to be pretty cool too. Rule of Cool says a winrar is you.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The Last Darkness wrote:The more im thinking about it the more and more appealing it is to play a Disillusioned Rebel Guardian who left the Lightbringers Faction.
Play a Abberant Evil Guardian, with a Ruthless disposition and a Fatalistic view of the world.

Hmmm for a little flavour can a Guardian be a Sword Bearer OCC?
Or more acuretly have been a Sword Bearer before becoming a Guardian and still gets some of that OCCs benefits and Artifact?
Like say make his skills influenced by the Sword bearers skills?
For thematic reasons I want to have a Artifact Mask with defensive powers.

Hmmm food for thought any ideas?

I probably wouldn't let it swing in my campaign, since Guardians and Sword Bearers are both meant to be regular guys with links to a higher power.

Plus combining two unusual classes in one character just strikes me as trying to be different for the sake of being different because it's cool, and I'm not really a fan of precious and unique snowflake character concepts.

Return to “Nightbane®”