Starting bonuses

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Re: Starting bonuses

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I've allways felt that after all years you spend training in the martial art, evan though you get ALOT of special abilities, the starting bonuses have allways seemed a little weak.

How is the best way to handle this?

Aren't PCs supposed to be a little weak when they start out? Or do you mean weak compared to other games' starting bonuses?
Really the main thing I find particularly weak about N&SS is the attacks per melee started at the level 1 number whereas every other system is 2+ the level 1 number. But that's an easy enough fix, just ignore the rule for N&SS and give them the 2 APM for breathing. Aside from that, it's pretty much a matter of what the martial art chooses to focus on. If an art has slightly lower bonuses than HTH: Expert but a bunch of funky powers, then that's what the martial artist focused on because of the martial art he was training in.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

NSS and MC are still at the 1st ed level and is on par with PF1 & HU1. So doubling the APM and increase the other bonuses by 20%.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:Really the main thing I find particularly weak about N&SS is the attacks per melee started at the level 1 number whereas every other system is 2+ the level 1 number. But that's an easy enough fix, just ignore the rule for N&SS and give them the 2 APM for breathing.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:NSS and MC are still at the 1st ed level and is on par with PF1 & HU1. So doubling the APM and increase the other bonuses by 20%.

And the power creep starts... {* shakes head *}
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mantisking wrote:
Overlord Rikonius wrote:Really the main thing I find particularly weak about N&SS is the attacks per melee started at the level 1 number whereas every other system is 2+ the level 1 number. But that's an easy enough fix, just ignore the rule for N&SS and give them the 2 APM for breathing.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:NSS and MC are still at the 1st ed level and is on par with PF1 & HU1. So doubling the APM and increase the other bonuses by 20%.

And the power creep starts... {* shakes head *}

I don't disagree with M.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:My point is that when you look at NSS martial arts and thet's say hth expert. After 4-10yrs. of training in your chosen form(just to get to level 1), your PC dosn't really have bonuses that reflect the years of studying that he's done. Sure, he'll have vastly more ablitities, but the starting bonuses could be the same, and hth expert might bbe tought in just a few days of in struction.

HtH:Expert takes two years of instruction and gets 11 Combat Skills/Techniques and two combat bonuses. Jujutsu takes 9 years of instruction gets 30 Combat Skills/Techniques, and three combat bonuses, plus four statistic bonuses, one skill, and three M.A.P.s.

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:NSS jujutsu pg. 93, 9 yrs. studying it and you don't evan get a plus 1 to bodyflip at level one.

And all HtH:Expert gets is a +2 to Roll w/Punch/Fall & a +2 to Pull Punch.

The killer for this "argument" is the simple fact that there are no penalties for being old in N&S. All age adds is backstory.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”