A "known" location

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

A "known" location

Unread post by dark brandon »

Under the spell Teleport Lesser, it states a mage can teleport objects to a "known" location...

What does it mean that the area is "known" to him? Does it simply means he has an Idea, or that he can get to it or that he just knows it exists or he's intimate with the location? I thought about this last night while driving, and got kinda lost in an area I "know". I've driven down it a few times, but had to get off on a street I never knew about. My only landmark was a school I remember...anyways in 5 min I found the street I was looking for, regardless I started to think about what the idea of a mage "knowing" an area.

...For example, do you "know" your neighbors basement even if you've never been in it. You know it exists, but you don't "know" it per se.

So...I bring up the question...what does or rather what do people think (and play) on what it means for something to be "known"
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: A "known" location

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

dark brandon wrote:Under the spell Teleport Lesser, it states a mage can teleport objects to a "known" location...

What does it mean that the area is "known" to him? Does it simply means he has an Idea, or that he can get to it or that he just knows it exists or he's intimate with the location? I thought about this last night while driving, and got kinda lost in an area I "know". I've driven down it a few times, but had to get off on a street I never knew about. My only landmark was a school I remember...anyways in 5 min I found the street I was looking for, regardless I started to think about what the idea of a mage "knowing" an area.

...For example, do you "know" your neighbors basement even if you've never been in it. You know it exists, but you don't "know" it per se.

So...I bring up the question...what does or rather what do people think (and play) on what it means for something to be "known"

if you've been there before or if it's in your present line of sight.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'd count it as roughly the same as for normal teleport.
If you've been there a LOT, or are looking at the place you want to go, then it's known.
If you're looking at a photo, or have been there once or twice, then it still counts, but you have a lesser chance of success, and so on.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

dark brandon wrote:So...I bring up the question...what does or rather what do people think (and play) on what it means for something to be "known"

You have to have sex with it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Mark Hall wrote:
dark brandon wrote:So...I bring up the question...what does or rather what do people think (and play) on what it means for something to be "known"

You have to have sex with it.

As soon as I stop laughing so hard I will tell you that was the best answer to a gaming question I have heard all month. :lol:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

That was somewhat funny.

Seriously, I agree with Nekira on this. The location you're teleporting to is one you've been to before or within line-of-sight. Kinda like Nightcrawler's teleportation (without the 'bamf' of brimstone).
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

'known' pretty much conveys nothing from its author, so the loudest person at the table with the most cult of personality will tell everyone 'what it really means'.

I think if I wrote a game mechanic that said 'you can teleport it anywhere that is 'kewernalzonk', a whole lot of gamers would say they knew exactly what I meant, when I was deliberately wrote some blather. So of course when Keven wrote something that he thinks actually means something, but is actually quite bad at conveying what he means, of course alot of gamers think they know exactly what its refering to.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Noon wrote:'known' pretty much conveys nothing from its author, so the loudest person at the table with the most cult of personality will tell everyone 'what it really means'.

Thank you for your support. ;)

I think if I wrote a game mechanic that said 'you can teleport it anywhere that is 'kewernalzonk', a whole lot of gamers would say they knew exactly what I meant, when I was deliberately wrote some blather.

It's an ancient dwarven word for "stylish."

So of course when Keven wrote something that he thinks actually means something, but is actually quite bad at conveying what he means, of course alot of gamers think they know exactly what its refering to.

And they'll probably all disagree.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

BookWyrm wrote:That was somewhat funny.

Seriously, I agree with Nekira on this. The location you're teleporting to is one you've been to before or within line-of-sight. Kinda like Nightcrawler's teleportation (without the 'bamf' of brimstone).

LoS I don't have an issue with.

It's the "photograph" idea I don't think works. KC said using the teleport table, which I think is more along the lines.

Personally, I'm believe that "knowing" a location is knowing actually "how to get there". A higher level TP spell would work with a photo, but at that point you're relying more on luck.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I would argue that if you can actually SEE the place you're going to within LOS, that you should eliminate the random percentage chart. The distance is so relatively miniscule that you should have no chance of death or dying from the teleport. However, once you get there, you are subject to all effects of any creatures that might be in range there.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I've always played a known location as anywhere the mage has been, and able to spend at least 10min. getting to "know" the location.

Less time if he buys it drinks?

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

OK here is an example. since t-port lesser only lets you port things not people (over simplification of the spell i know) say a T-W makes a t-port lesser device that ports fusion blocks or other items of nasty intent and decides to use it to port said nasty item on to a flying samas during a fight. can he "call the shot" and place said item on the samas's head or wing using the percentile roll for t-port lesser or make a strike roll on a d20? or to take it a bit further say he wanted to port something with this device but the range for the spell is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy farther than he can see so LOS is out say a DHT and he has previously used telemechanics on a DHT can he still "call the shot" to place it somewhere on the outside of the DHT? (not going to even think about re-opening the question of porting somehthing inside of an environmentaly sealed vehicle!!!!)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

finn69 wrote:OK here is an example. since t-port lesser only lets you port things not people (over simplification of the spell i know) say a T-W makes a t-port lesser device that ports fusion blocks or other items of nasty intent and decides to use it to port said nasty item on to a flying samas during a fight. can he "call the shot" and place said item on the samas's head or wing using the percentile roll for t-port lesser or make a strike roll on a d20? or to take it a bit further say he wanted to port something with this device but the range for the spell is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy farther than he can see so LOS is out say a DHT and he has previously used telemechanics on a DHT can he still "call the shot" to place it somewhere on the outside of the DHT? (not going to even think about re-opening the question of porting somehthing inside of an environmentaly sealed vehicle!!!!)

Yes.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest

finn69 wrote:OK here is an example. since t-port lesser only lets you port things not people (over simplification of the spell i know) say a T-W makes a t-port lesser device that ports fusion blocks or other items of nasty intent and decides to use it to port said nasty item on to a flying samas during a fight. can he "call the shot" and place said item on the samas's head or wing using the percentile roll for t-port lesser or make a strike roll on a d20? or to take it a bit further say he wanted to port something with this device but the range for the spell is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy farther than he can see so LOS is out say a DHT and he has previously used telemechanics on a DHT can he still "call the shot" to place it somewhere on the outside of the DHT? (not going to even think about re-opening the question of porting somehthing inside of an environmentaly sealed vehicle!!!!)

1. The GM would have final say on whether such a device would function, and to what degree.
2. There is nothing in the spell indicating that it can be used to make called shots; you need to roll a D20 for that, and the spell doesn't roll strike rolls.
3. There is nothing to indicate whether or not a person or their armor would qualify as a "location."
4. He would have to be familiar with that particular Death's Head transports, not just the vehicles in general.
5. As long as the target is a known location, there is no problem with teleporting anything into an environmentally sealed vehicle. It's been argued at unfathomable length, and canon examples have been found of people teleporting into sealed vehicles (in addition to simple logic and common sense saying that there's no problem with it).

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

This is such a wierd question? If you were making a board game or a video game, and you turned around and asked me "Hey, I have item teleporting in my game...how does it work?" I would obviously say "I dunno! What have you decided on!?"

Can you see you've started making your own game here (which is a fine thing)? Or do you think your really still working within a set of rules by saying a techno wizard makes a T-port lesser device and people here can tell you if your still within the rules?
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Smashed wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:if you've been there before or if it's in your present line of sight.

Agreed

I also agree.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

This is one of those "Don't screw up setting the timer" moments. Really, this ought to be significantly difficult if you haven't prepared your fusion blocks beforehand, an even more difficult task. 1) Arm fusion block. That's an action. 2) Take 2 actions (6 seconds or so) Porting fusion block. You're shooting wild with your fusion block, because you're taking an aimed shot with something that's not meant to be aimed. This really is a losing proposal to begin with. This blows up hotel rooms real good. However, it does not really have good combat uses.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

dark brandon wrote:Under the spell Teleport Lesser, it states a mage can teleport objects to a "known" location...

what does or rather what do people think (and play) on what it means for something to be "known"

If you can see it you know it. If you have a picture of it .. you know it ..

In my games its pretty straight forword. If you do not see it with your own eyes .. (descriptions do not work) I.E. pictures or again with your own eyes .. it is not "known" to you.

And yes in my games .. PA's and Robots and Vehicles have "Locations" onto which you could teleport explosive's.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”