simo/ twin strike?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

simo/ twin strike?

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

i was wondering how you guys play it out with characters in combat with WP Paried weapons. the rules say if you twin strike then you can't auto parry anymore.. does this mean just against the guy your attacking or anyone? does it mean you lose your ability to auto parry for the rest of that round? its kinda vague i think...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: simo/ twin strike?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

goodhometownboy wrote:i was wondering how you guys play it out with characters in combat with WP Paried weapons. the rules say if you twin strike then you can't auto parry anymore.. does this mean just against the guy your attacking or anyone? does it mean you lose your ability to auto parry for the rest of that round? its kinda vague i think...

just that one attack
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I belive that if you've used both weapons to attack, they you are forgoing all defenses for this action, automatic or otherwise. It is hard to parry or dodge an attack when you've just buried both of your weapons into an enemy.

If you are using one of the WP paired actions to parry and simultaneous striking with the other hand, than as drewkitty states, you can only parry the attack coming from whoever you are striking.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
goodhometownboy wrote:i was wondering how you guys play it out with characters in combat with WP Paried weapons. the rules say if you twin strike then you can't auto parry anymore.. does this mean just against the guy your attacking or anyone? does it mean you lose your ability to auto parry for the rest of that round? its kinda vague i think...

just that one attack

I rule it that its for that attack .. which means You lose parry against that 1 opponant whom you Simo attacked ..
But yet still get the parry against others ..
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Depends on how you mean "round."
If you mean "time it takes until initiatives run out for that round of attacks," then yes.
If you mean "time it takes until everybody runs out of attacks, and a new initiative is rolled," then no.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Why would you lose auto-parry for both weapons if you do the twin strike? You don't lose it if you attack with one weapon (without wp paired). We've actually been having this same discussion with a Samuraicharacter in our game and have yet to come to a good conclusion.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Why would you lose auto-parry for both weapons if you do the twin strike? You don't lose it if you attack with one weapon (without wp paired). We've actually been having this same discussion with a Samuraicharacter in our game and have yet to come to a good conclusion.

Partially, GK, because of how open you wind up leaving yourself if you're twin-striking. A single weapon strike leaves the other side of your body on guard, to an extent; while you're committed to the attack, half of your body is acting as support. This leaves you with a much smaller vulnerable space. In a twin strike, however, you've got to throw your entire body into it, leaving much more open.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Galactus Kid

Mark Hall wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Why would you lose auto-parry for both weapons if you do the twin strike? You don't lose it if you attack with one weapon (without wp paired). We've actually been having this same discussion with a Samuraicharacter in our game and have yet to come to a good conclusion.

Partially, GK, because of how open you wind up leaving yourself if you're twin-striking. A single weapon strike leaves the other side of your body on guard, to an extent; while you're committed to the attack, half of your body is acting as support. This leaves you with a much smaller vulnerable space. In a twin strike, however, you've got to throw your entire body into it, leaving much more open.

So, the character has the option to strike with two, strike with one leaving both available for parry, Strike with one, and parry/strike with the other?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

So, the character has the option to strike with two, strike with one leaving both available for parry, Strike with one, and parry/strike with the other?

Pretty much, yes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Because when you use two weapons at once, you have to stop to pose after every hit, to let everybody know how cool you are.

Or maybe it's one of those "even though we say we don't care about balance, we do seem to write an awful lot of rules to balance things" rules.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Galactus Kid

So, let me get this right. Someone with paired weapons can do the following:
1) Strike with one weapon leaving the other available to auto-parry all attacks.
2) Strike with one weapon allowing it to parry and the other still available for attack in a combination parry/attack.
3) Attack with both, forsaking auto-parry for the next attack leveled against him.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Galactus Kid wrote:So, let me get this right. Someone with paired weapons can do the following:
1) Strike with one weapon leaving the other available to auto-parry all attacks.
2) Strike with one weapon allowing it to parry and the other still available for attack in a combination parry/attack.
3) Attack with both, forsaking auto-parry for the next attack leveled against him.

Greetings and Salutations. I would say that this is actually wrong (at least the middle one). I'll try to explain. First, keep in mind, you can only attack ONCE per ... um ... attack phase? Not the entire melee round, but the mini-round going through initiatives. To the best of my knowledge, this is not changed even with Paired Weapons.

1) Strike with one weapon, leaving the other available to auto-parry all attacks, especially if someone is about to attempt to simultaneous strike you. This can be a good defense against simultaneous attacks. This is like a boxer who jabs with one hand and holds the other back for defense. This will help block another character's parry/simultaneous attack.
2) Parry/simultaneous attack, which requires the other person to have initiative (or a G.M. who allows people to hold their actions). If the character attacked already, then they cannot attack a second time. They can continue to auto-parry, but they cannot continue to simultaneous strike. That attack is extended and can't defend, but the other weapon is still held back like the boxer in the above example for protection. I could be wrong on this as the rule isn't written clearly to specify, but this would be my take on it.
3) Attack with both weapons, either at the same target or two different ones. To do this, the character is leaving him wide open! Their arms are extended and not in a position to defend. The character has overextended and cannot auto-parry, but can still try to dodge (for the cost of an action). While this is technically two attacks, it is only ONE attack phase/round.
4) Double parry, which is primarily only a defense (by the rules) against another opponent using twin strikes. However, as a G.M., I also allow players to coordinate their attacks so they can attack at the same time (Bob and Jim are trying to defeat Kyle, so they time out their actions to attack Kyle simultaneously and require Kyle to use dual parries). This would require some training, and be up to G.M. ruling, but just another possibility (which I personally include).

Hopefully some of that helps. That's how I play it at least, and how I honestly believe it's meant to be played by the rules (though the rules aren't written as clear as they could have been leaving it open to interpretation), but to each their own. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Galactus Kid

We currently only allow a simultaneous action if the character holds his attack in preparation. I would allow the player with Paired weapons simultneous attack which would hit the target and also allow the wielder to parry the incoming blow. There would be a penalty though. hmmm... I need to go work this out. Any other feedback is appreciated.

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Yeah it seems weird that with one weapon you can attack and recover to auto parry all attacks, but when you have paired weapons you loose this ability.

As someone who has experience in the real world with using paired weapons, the advantage of a double strike is that the opponent needs to block two different attacks, so unless they have a two weapons themselves or a shield, one will hit (unless they have room to move out of range).
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

well reading other books one of my players pointed out to me that you only get 3 parrys per melee and 4 if you have paired weapons
The Galactus Kid

goodhometownboy wrote:well reading other books one of my players pointed out to me that you only get 3 parrys per melee and 4 if you have paired weapons

I don't believe this is corect. Page number please.

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

It's "You can only parry 3 opponents for free in a single melee pass." That's the correct interpretation of that rule. You cannot parry infinitely, which is why Juicers and Automatic Dodge are amazing.

IF you have O-Ken Wa and are 7th level or higher, you can twin strike and parry with a kick, or strike and kick and parry with a sword.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Balabanto wrote:It's "You can only parry 3 opponents for free in a single melee pass." That's the correct interpretation of that rule. You cannot parry infinitely, which is why Juicers and Automatic Dodge are amazing.

IF you have O-Ken Wa and are 7th level or higher, you can twin strike and parry with a kick, or strike and kick and parry with a sword.

I do believe the example they give in that MAF is parry with both swords and able to kick also.

Thou, doing the 'Zohan', parrying with your leg/foot is technically in the mechanics.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”