Call Lightning, re-read

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Call Lightning, re-read

Unread post by Malakai »

It should be pointed out that in HU2ed, they still get to roll, needing a Natural 20 or 24+ with bonuses, but otherwise, yeah - in a Rifts environment, 2 actions casting for automatic damage.
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

argos wrote:yup, no dodge. ever try to dodge lightning?

indeed I have, and for the record I've never been hit . . . now don't try to cloudy ;-) up the issue by saying that nature was never aiming for me, I'm sure after half the jokes i've made i'm on the list of people to be struck down by a bolt of lightining
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Ajax wrote:Ok so I'm playing a Ley line walker in a rifts game currently. And I was going back through the books re-reading spells. And I happened upon Call Lightning, now I never really liked the spell do to it's flat range and fairly low damage until higher levels. But this time around I noticed it's saving throw discription, it reads as none. Not dodge at a penalty, not if you see it coming, but none. I'm certain this has been discussed ad nausem before, but have I finally had my eyes opened to the 'I hit you, I don't care what your bonuses are Mr. Juicer' spell?

Yup.
Automatic hit from the sky.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Ajax wrote:Ok so I'm playing a Ley line walker in a rifts game currently. And I was going back through the books re-reading spells. And I happened upon Call Lightning, now I never really liked the spell do to it's flat range and fairly low damage until higher levels. But this time around I noticed it's saving throw discription, it reads as none. Not dodge at a penalty, not if you see it coming, but none. I'm certain this has been discussed ad nausem before, but have I finally had my eyes opened to the 'I hit you, I don't care what your bonuses are Mr. Juicer' spell?

Instant hit :D.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Which, if it required it to be from the sky, would be a good argument. I prefer the versions in PFRPG, which give a dodge number (a high one, but a dodge number).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Mark Hall wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Which, if it required it to be from the sky, would be a good argument. I prefer the versions in PFRPG, which give a dodge number (a high one, but a dodge number).

I don't.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

In Rifts, it is impossible to avoid. Very good aginst juicers. Does take 2 actions to cast though.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AaronCE
D-Bee

Unread post by AaronCE »

While on the Call Lightning angle.. I always wondered. Can you Call Lightning in an enclosed space? In a dungeon, cave, castle, building, underground? And yeah, I'm not talking something that the lightning could concievably penetrate. I've always wondered if you need "open sky" to Call Lightning.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

AaronCE wrote:While on the Call Lightning angle.. I always wondered. Can you Call Lightning in an enclosed space? In a dungeon, cave, castle, building, underground? And yeah, I'm not talking something that the lightning could concievably penetrate. I've always wondered if you need "open sky" to Call Lightning.

IIRC, yes, you can.
Though I think that's kind of silly.

Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
AaronCE wrote:While on the Call Lightning angle.. I always wondered. Can you Call Lightning in an enclosed space? In a dungeon, cave, castle, building, underground? And yeah, I'm not talking something that the lightning could concievably penetrate. I've always wondered if you need "open sky" to Call Lightning.

IIRC, yes, you can.
Though I think that's kind of silly.

Not really, if you think of lightning being generated from ion particles and static energy. It should be called Generate Lightning, not Call Lightning, in that case, though. In D&D, "Call Lightning" is a Priest/Cleric Spell and has to be done outdoors; not so with Palladium.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

AaronCE wrote:While on the Call Lightning angle.. I always wondered. Can you Call Lightning in an enclosed space? In a dungeon, cave, castle, building, underground? And yeah, I'm not talking something that the lightning could conceivably penetrate. I've always wondered if you need "open sky" to Call Lightning.

Yes, you can call lighting with in an enclosed volume. house, cave, boat, the only limiting thing I think is that there is a sky for the lighting to be called from.
-In PF, I believe there needs to be a window (of any kind) for CL to work.
-in the Rifts BoM, there is a perception roll then a vs 24 dodge roll, I think.
-there are no saves vs real physical effect spells like call lighting & fireball.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I love that it's smite from the heavens. This is even better if you have chain wrapped around a cloud. Once a round for a minute per level, smite-o-matic. This is particularly fun if you have a bunch of broadcast microphones and all the invisibility stuff up. "I am the Divine Power of (Blah). Behold my power!" SMITE! "He can't do that again!" SMITE!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Karsus wrote:
Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Actually lightning bolts start at the earth and move up towards the sky. Weird, I know.

This.

Natural lightning bolts do.

Magic ones come from the sky. it says so in the spell. :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

It has been stated officially somewhere around here that you don't have to be outdoors, or have access to outdoors, to use Call Lightning. The reply was something akin to "It's magic. It works."

Now it'll be hell to find that reference, but I'll look.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

J. Lionheart wrote:It has been stated officially somewhere around here that you don't have to be outdoors, or have access to outdoors, to use Call Lightning. The reply was something akin to "It's magic. It works."

Now it'll be hell to find that reference, but I'll look.

it says it can be cast indoors in the Palladium Fantasy book.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”