Civilization Gone?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Civilization Gone?

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Can anyone tell me about this book. The Catalog write up is.... um.. spartan.

"More zombie encounters, more zombie combat tips, more human resources, madmen and maniacs, tables, and adventure"

Is the entirety of the description. Can those that have it please tell me what all is in there, and if it's a good book. I'm a big zombie fan and rather liked the first DR book.

The write up just... seems like something pounded out in 3 seconds when listing the book to order. It's also a 64 page book. With art that's like 40 pages or so, so I'm curious if it's worth the buy?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Civilization Gone?

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Can anyone tell me about this book. The Catalog write up is.... um.. spartan.

"More zombie encounters, more zombie combat tips, more human resources, madmen and maniacs, tables, and adventure"

Is the entirety of the description. Can those that have it please tell me what all is in there, and if it's a good book. I'm a big zombie fan and rather liked the first DR book.

The write up just... seems like something pounded out in 3 seconds when listing the book to order. It's also a 64 page book. With art that's like 40 pages or so, so I'm curious if it's worth the buy?

Its certainly worth it. There are two new zombie types, the tank and the beauty. There are some random psychosis tables and some ideas/catagories of survivors who have gone batnuts insane (the ghost, others) including fun one such as the zombie lover. For me one of the best is some of the new random tables, including "whats in a home" which basically has a giant random table for all of the common rooms of a house and what is found inside of them (what's in a normal pantry, living room, bedroom, basement, etc) also included is the likelihood of zombies in the house, if its been looted, etc. I might be missing something, but I'll check my copy of the book tonight.
-Matt
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

This book is totally worth it. The others pretty much covered the content, but I'd buy it for the random tables alone. It may be thin, but it's packed.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Thanks guys. Was looking for just a bit more than the catalog write up. What you've told me has intrigued me. I think this will go on the list for my grab bag this year. :)

Thank you.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

its a nice book...but thats it. I had hoped for more (and I defintely like bigger books better than thin ones...). also, too many tables for my taste.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
azazel1024
Champion

I am a fan of the tables. I agree on the length, it would have been nice to have more. I am looking forward to Dark Places, but another small book. I am hoping someone will write up a bigger book. Maybe even go in to survivor colonies/safe haven communities. I know its only 5 months after the rise, but I am hoping that future books will kind of expand out the timeline a bit. Maybe a few notable survivor communities, maybe ideas such as a surviving military unit attempting to battle back the zombies and reclaim the Earth for the living (say a Brigade or division or something).

Anyway, just that sort of thing. Dead Reign as it stands and probably will be mostly in to the future is just a giant sandbox to play in. Hopefully there will be a few notables placed in the sandbox, but I don't see it ever changing much from that. Much less 'concrete' then Rifts or Palladium is.
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

Well, sure apocalyptic soldiers and reapers, but I was thinking maybe a 'world' book for DR or maybe even something focusing on a specific area or idea. Maybe Fort Sill lucked out and didn't suffer any zombie victims. Maybe the General in charge of the base was really quick thinking and it survived relatively intact and now he is trying to reclaim the world for the living.

Maybe an overseas base lucked out and now the Brigade is trying to get back to the mainland US and see if there is anything left of the country, and if not do what they can. Maybe its not the Americans at all, maybe it was a French unit? Or maybe it was a US/Russian or other aircraft carrier group that got away unscathed and is trying to preserve what is left (I know, a little new navy, but they would be the most likely group to get away with it).

In fact I like the carrier group/task force idea. The sailors/marines would be most likely not to get infected if they had been out to sea (in a non-mystical occurance situation) and if they had still a lot of them probably would have been evacuated landward. Or maybe the task force was in port and a lot of the sick sailors were evacuated to a land based hospital so when the dead rose the ships were relatively unscathed. Maybe the Marine sentries on the ships were alert and had watched a lot of zombie movies so they stood off the undead until they were able to scramble and put to sea?

Just some ideas for future books. I certainly love the survivor/average joe angle, but it would also be nice to throw in some 'high level' ideas for 'epic' games maybe. Maybe some of the zombies start to evolve in to really nasty aberations. Maybe some of the thinkers start evolving in to really smart zombies that start organizing the dead and this safe haven colony or military group has to oppose them.
-Matt
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Hmm...Tank, eh? Sounds interesting. Let me know if the Boomer and Witch show up too.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

Don't shoot the witch...
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

No, you can shoot her. Just turn your light off and let her cry until she decides to show you her nails by Freddy Krueger.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave

Return to “Dead Reign™”