Grumpy player

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Grumpy player

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

so i was wondering if anyone here knows how to deal with a generally grumpy player? you know the type he is a really good player, both in rp and battle as well as knowlegable in the rules... but lately he has been a bit of a gump... no characters he plays has any good alignment he takes the most grumpy/evil one i allow and then pushes the rules... this of course has gone into our other games we play

any idea on how to deal with a grump with out running out of the game?
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: Grumpy player

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

goodhometownboy wrote:so i was wondering if anyone here knows how to deal with a generally grumpy player? you know the type he is a really good player, both in rp and battle as well as knowlegable in the rules... but lately he has been a bit of a gump... no characters he plays has any good alignment he takes the most grumpy/evil one i allow and then pushes the rules... this of course has gone into our other games we play

any idea on how to deal with a grump with out running out of the game?

Fight him.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

:lol:

Seriously though, the only way really is to talk to this player outside of the game.

A good "why so grumpy all the time?" is appropriate. If it's outside factors (school/work/life), then you and this player will probably be able to figure something out.

If they are just a generally depressive person, try subtle bits of humor you know this player will enjoy. Anything to lighten their mood really.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Declare that you are running a new game and they each have to run scrupulous chars.
then run the game.
Maybe a troop of palidens or cyberknights, or Knights of the order of the white rose
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dog_O_War
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Declare that you are running a new game and they each have to run scrupulous chars.
then run the game.
Maybe a troop of palidens or cyberknights, or Knights of the order of the white rose

I don't think an alignment change really has an impact on mood.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Does he feel he has some way of fixing up the problem he has?

If not, see if you can offer him some way he can fix it.

If he wont fix it, even if he has some power to do so...well, your not his mummy or daddy. But you'll feel like you are after you start fixing his grumpyness for him.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Declare that you are running a new game and they each have to run scrupulous chars.
then run the game.

Gag.

I'd just let the players play the characters and allignments they want, within the bounds of reason. It isn't group therapy or a nursery school, and sometimes players have phases in life and in game that they just need to get through.
If every two-bit gm I've ever had imposed race or allignment limits, they wouldn't have had the groups to run for. You can't force people to enjoy playing something they don't want to play.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Vrykolas2k wrote:
then run the game.

Gag.

I'd just let the players play the characters and allignments they want, within the bounds of reason. It isn't group therapy or a nursery school, and sometimes players have phases in life and in game that they just need to get through.
If every two-bit gm I've ever had imposed race or allignment limits, they wouldn't have had the groups to run for. You can't force people to enjoy playing something they don't want to play.

I agree with you and I've got 30 years of gaming experience to back it up, LOL!
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

GreenGhost wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
then run the game.

Gag.

I agree with you and I've got 30 years of gaming experience to back it up, LOL!

What part of Colorado do you live in?
Looking for more players, myself... I'm in Colorado Springs.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

We all have are off days but if hes like that all the time hes probably not enjoying the game. Maybe hes grown out of it.

He could take up the GMing or you could run an evil adventure. The PCs are an assassins guild or somehting.
If he continues to be evil then the in game consequences might kill him. New character that is good. Im not advising killing your player cos hes grumpy just react is you should but ensure IF he requires a new character its a good aligned one.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

It's time for you and your player to have a chat. Just a simple, "Hey, I've noticed that you've been in a funk these past few game sessions. Is everything going all right for you?" session can go a tremendous distance in airing whatever ills your player may be suffering from.

I disagree with some of the previous posters. For some players and GM's alike, gaming is therapy, and you don't want your therapy sessions interrupted by one bad apple. :D

Staying connected with your players is never a bad idea, especially if they are also your friends. :ok:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D

Return to “G.M.s Forum”