How Many Actions Would It Take?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

How Many Actions Would It Take?

Unread post by Grell »

How many actions does it take to don a suit of power armor?

I remember reading this somewhere, but I can't remember any of the specifics. If you know the answer, please be sure to include the book and page reference. Thanks in advance for the help!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: How Many Actions Would It Take?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

3 minutes minimum. Would be my guess.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Yeah, one melee round would be my guess too. It just kills me because I know I've read it before. Well, perhaps some kind sage of gaming wisdom will save the day with a solid reference. In the meantime I'll look into Triax, thanks!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

macksting wrote:
Grell wrote:Yeah, one melee round would be my guess too.

For the exoskeleton with partial coverage, right?

Well the power armor in question here is a SAM. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I find!

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Grell wrote:
macksting wrote:
Grell wrote:Yeah, one melee round would be my guess too.

For the exoskeleton with partial coverage, right?

Well the power armor in question here is a SAM. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I find!

I always assumed hte Power Armours in Rifts worked similarily as the power suits in BGC. You step in the it lifts itslef and locks into place around you.....15 seconds/1 melee sounds about right for such a thing........
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Suiting up GM Guide pg 42
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

The real question is "How Many Actions Would It Take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" :P
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

4, three to lick, one to bite.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:4, three to lick, one to bite.

I hated that owl..... :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Thanks for the hit on the GM's Guide, Zor. I don't have that one, so I'm hoping the information is a reprint from the earlier mentioned Triax book.

ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Grell wrote:Thanks for the hit on the GM's Guide, Zor. I don't have that one, so I'm hoping the information is a reprint from the earlier mentioned Triax book.

I was going to wait until I got home yesterday to look and post. I don't have the book with me at work, but I do have a 'quick sheet' as a Word doc that I have various rules and where they are located. Here is what I have in my doc.

Suiting up in Body Armour: 1D4+4 Rounds if man-at-arms. 1D4+4 Minutes if not man-at-arms. ½ time to take off.
Suiting up in PA/Robot: 1 Minute/3 Minutes
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

ZorValachan wrote:
Grell wrote:Thanks for the hit on the GM's Guide, Zor. I don't have that one, so I'm hoping the information is a reprint from the earlier mentioned Triax book.

I was going to wait until I got home yesterday to look and post. I don't have the book with me at work, but I do have a 'quick sheet' as a Word doc that I have various rules and where they are located. Here is what I have in my doc.

Suiting up in Body Armour: 1D4+4 Rounds if man-at-arms. 1D4+4 Minutes if not man-at-arms. ½ time to take off.
Suiting up in PA/Robot: 1 Minute/3 Minutes

That's incredibly helpful of you, thanks. That information looks so familiar and just what I need at the moment. Thanks!

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

The duty uniform of an actively flying pilot is their flightsuit, so yes while on duty that is what they wear. They do not, however, wear their G-suit or any other equipment until they are sent out.

Actually, considering how long it takes before a pilot will fire up their engines on a fighter, a 3 minute power up for a robot is pretty fast. Bear in mind that pilots have to personally inspect the vehicle before getting strapped in and powering up. The process on a F-16, last I saw ran at least 10 minutes between pilot arrival and power up.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Grell wrote:The duty uniform of an actively flying pilot is their flightsuit, so yes while on duty that is what they wear. They do not, however, wear their G-suit or any other equipment until they are sent out.

Actually, considering how long it takes before a pilot will fire up their engines on a fighter, a 3 minute power up for a robot is pretty fast. Bear in mind that pilots have to personally inspect the vehicle before getting strapped in and powering up. The process on a F-16, last I saw ran at least 10 minutes between pilot arrival and power up.

Usually in a combat zone though "ready" flights are kept at an already high alert status. I woudl guess that pilots are suited up and ready to go on a moments notice with their planes near ready to go as to minimize pilot to power up/take off times.

\m/
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

What I described is how things go down normally. Having not been privy to any scrambles, I can't say for sure, but I hear that pilots are authorized to launch themselves without a launch crew present (kicking chocks, strap in, etc) and I hear it can be done in a couple of minutes. So, the 3 minute span for a robot would make sense, especially if the future tech makes certain technical aspects easier to accomplish.

Jaymz, you may have a point on pilots on alert status. Truth be told, I'm not sure how they handle that but your logic makes sense and that's pretty much what I'd assume. I was merely talking earlier about standard, day-to-day things.

kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

Here is the house rule we use:

The Game Master wrote:How long does it take to suit-up in EBA?

:arrow: All "Men of Arms" O.C.C.'s take 1d4+4 melees to suit-up.
:arrow: All other types of PCs take 1d4+4 minutes to suit-up.
:arrow: This rule also applies to suiting-up in Power Armor Suits with one addition: If the pilot has a prep team assisting with the power-up, etc. reduce to one minute.
:arrow: Hopping into a Robotic Vehicle takes one full melee irregardless of O.C.C.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Grell wrote:What I described is how things go down normally. Having not been privy to any scrambles, I can't say for sure, but I hear that pilots are authorized to launch themselves without a launch crew present (kicking chocks, strap in, etc) and I hear it can be done in a couple of minutes. So, the 3 minute span for a robot would make sense, especially if the future tech makes certain technical aspects easier to accomplish.

Jaymz, you may have a point on pilots on alert status. Truth be told, I'm not sure how they handle that but your logic makes sense and that's pretty much what I'd assume. I was merely talking earlier about standard, day-to-day things.

No worries :) I knew what you meant dude. I was merely adding to it. I knwo in the star wars universe they actually have fighters hot and ready to go with pilots strapped in when on alert status duty....I belevie they do it on the US Carriers as well with alert status fighter already on deck ready to go, pilot inside and waiting...though I may be wrong...

\m/
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

In my GM's Guide the Suiting up is on page 41 :?:
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Grell wrote:What I described is how things go down normally. Having not been privy to any scrambles, I can't say for sure, but I hear that pilots are authorized to launch themselves without a launch crew present (kicking chocks, strap in, etc) and I hear it can be done in a couple of minutes. So, the 3 minute span for a robot would make sense, especially if the future tech makes certain technical aspects easier to accomplish.

Having been one of the "launch crew" at an alert cell in the Air Force, I can tell you that from the start of the klaxon until the plane broke ground was 3 minutes! I launched F-15s out of King Salmon, AK in the early '90s. As the crew chief, I would run to the plane, climb into the seat, start the #2 engine, climb out of the seat as the pilot was climbing the ladder, check basis systems (hydraulics and power generators), pull chocks and direct the plane out of the cell.

I would assume that in the "civilized" locations (CS, NGR, etc.) the PA units have both pilots AND maintenance crews and that those units on the borders sit in states of "Alert" readiness. I would also assume that those crews would operate in about the same way we did in Alaska. The maintenance/launch crewman would start the system boot/systems check while the pilot completed suiting up for operations, then the launch crewman would shift to "launch" duties and the pilot would get into the PA and get moving. Since the whole thing is computerized and mecha-based, the crewman could do most of his duties from a laptop or hand-held device standing next to the PA. I reckon it would take a total of 1.5 minutes.

In "field" locations (small units with no base of operations, Rangers, lone wandering PA pilots, etc.), the pilot would have to perform all of the duties on his own (boot up/systems check and suiting up), so it would take a bit longer; however, since he would be required to do this every time, he should be quite proficient and have a developed procedure for this. I would say, the novice would take 3+ minutes, while the veteran would be able to be in action within 1.5 minutes or less.

That having been said, 15 seconds per Melee Round; 3 minutes = 12 Melee Rounds; 1.5 minutes = 6 Melee Rounds. I would give 1-5 Level PA pilots a 3 minute suit-up/launch time (2 minute [1d6+2 Melees] with a crew), 6-10 Level - 2 minutes (~1.5 minutes[1d4+2 Melees] w/crew), 11-15 Level - 1.5 minutes (~1 minute [1d4 Melees] w/crew).

The above suppositions are based on the Rifts setting. In Robotech, all mecha have crews (except in New Generation), so the launch times are quick; plus, the mecha are more organic than those in other settings, so the launch times are twice as fast. In Skaypers, the mecha are completely organic, so the launch times become almost automatic. For Heroes, I would say, think Iron Man (the movie) - say, one to 1.5 Melees to be armored and in action.

Just my $0.45.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard

Return to “G.M.s Forum”