Does anyone know how fast gremlins breed?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Does anyone know how fast gremlins breed?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are talking about the Fae Gremlins, then not very fast.

However, my first thought was 'as fast as the GM wants them to'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Drewkitty raises a good question. Are these the gremlins from the Rifts Conversion Books (and more or less identical to the Beyond the Supernatural gremlins). Or are these some other critter, perhaps inspired by Speilberg's Gremlins movie?

If they are the standard Palladium Gremlins, then they are intelligent minor demons, similar in nature to Brodkil or Gargoyles. The books have never been clear on how they breed if at all. I would guess that as long lived supernatural creatures, they breed less often than humans. They could cause a lot of trouble if escaped but through quality of trouble rather than quantity. It only takes one or two gremlins to disrupt a city's power grid or return an airport to the dark ages if they have enough time to set it all up.

On the other hand, you could take inspiration from the Brodkil article that recently appeared in Rifter. In that article, Brodkil reproduced by capturing humans and ritually transforming the bodies into new Brodkil.

The short answer is, like Drewkitty wrote, that it is up the GM.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

"Pull out, nuke the sight from orbit. It's the only way to be sure"
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Pretty fast once they get wet. And don't feed them after midnight.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Khanibal
Hero

Thing is, it's ALWAYS after midnight somewhere in the world.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

AzathothXy wrote:Pretty fast once they get wet. And don't feed them after midnight.

Technically they're already gremlins, so there's no need to worry about if they eat after midnight.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

:lol:
I look at sub demon races like gremlins as monsters that can breed rather fast by having litters, but, through the demon way of doing things, the sub classes are subject to being eaten by other demons (sub or otherwise) or even by their own kind vying for food, favor, and or power. And, hey we're demons we like to kill, well...anything!
I'm big on the swarm effect, especially with monsters and the like.
Khanibal
Hero

wolfsgrin wrote::lol:
I look at sub demon races like gremlins as monsters that can breed rather fast by having litters, but, through the demon way of doing things, the sub classes are subject to being eaten by other demons (sub or otherwise) or even by their own kind vying for food, favor, and or power. And, hey we're demons we like to kill, well...anything!
I'm big on the swarm effect, especially with monsters and the like.

That's the answer!
Summon some bigger demons and send them into the building to eat the gremlins!
Problem solved. 8)

Khanibal
Hero

"Why do you need me to remove this supernatural intelligence again?"
"Well, you see Lord Toth..."

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Daemon M wrote:It happens that my character has misplaced 7 loosely affiliated gremlin inside a 40-50 story commercial highrise. I thought I had them foxed with the terms of our bargain, but ... well they seem to have found a loophole of sorts - In order to carry out my instructions they had to cut communications within the building, security started using cell phones, so the littleguys found a way to disrupt those too, and now my way of remote communicating with them is jammed as well - So I can not issue the recall order. I could fix it, but it would mean tracking them down in the building one at a time while dodging security, the police and sector squad - all of whom are pretty much stuck in the building. There have been several deaths, lots of injuries and traps lots of traps. Gremlins appear to be dangerous - who knew? :oops:
So the question is - how do these things reproduce, and how fast can they increase their numbers?
Both the GM and I are a little concerned of them escaping the building, and slowly spreading across the city like rats.

I hate to ask the obvious, but why not just nuke the building? :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Khanibal
Hero

I think he actually wants to sneak into the building.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Here's a question: What makes you think that gremlins breed at all? Or that you have all the necessary genders? You might have just got one.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I'd say it's safe to say that if gremlins breed, it's very slowly.

Khanibal
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I'd say it's safe to say that if gremlins breed, it's very slowly.

That's a plus! :-P

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Daemon M wrote:Actually, sneaking in hurt a lot. Did you know gremlins could hook a boiler to the sprinkler system???? or electrify floors???? Cannibalize hoverbikes to create wind cannon traps (cop going for distance - better him then me). The pain. Ran into a vengeful (and battered) Sector Squad and seriously spooked police officers - more running and fighting, some shooting to. Accidently triggered a trap and dropped a section of staircase, three story fall. Nuking the building is sounding better and better. I pulled out after disabling sector squad (yay psionics & magic for the win) and then ran away to lick my wounds. Gremlins were really dug in, moving through the duct work, replacing traps soon after they were cleared. Bah! Let Sector Squad and the police deal with the little monsters.

well ya they are natural mechinics

I had a dominator who's entire ship was filled with his army of immortal gremlins
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”