Shifter familiar link

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MightyAtom
Wanderer

Shifter familiar link

Unread post by MightyAtom »

I tried asking this in the Rifts forum but didn't get anything so I thought I mighty try here...

Been looking over the Shifter OCC and was wondering what people thoughts were on the best familiar to have. It says that insects, intelligent mutant animals and supernatural creatures are not suitable. Are there any animals anywhere (alien or native to Earth) that have a decent PPE that the Shifter can syphon from to help with casting spells?

Thanks for the help

MightyAtom :-D

Is there a list somewhere of the animals on Rifts earth?? I know in the GMG there's one for monsters but they aren't what's allowed for the familiar link...

Thanks

"Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Shifter familiar link

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

MightyAtom wrote:I tried asking this in the Rifts forum but didn't get anything so I thought I mighty try here...

Been looking over the Shifter OCC and was wondering what people thoughts were on the best familiar to have. It says that insects, intelligent mutant animals and supernatural creatures are not suitable. Are there any animals anywhere (alien or native to Earth) that have a decent PPE that the Shifter can syphon from to help with casting spells?

Thanks for the help

Is there a list somewhere of the animals on Rifts earth?? I know in the GMG there's one for monsters but they aren't what's allowed for the familiar link...

Thanks

Natural Animals as a rule dont' have much PPE.

You want teh Greater Familiar Spell, avaible in Rifts Conversion book One, it lets you bind any lesser supernatural being as a familiar!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Pick something hard to kill. Nothing like dropping into a 1-6 hour coma during a firefight when the first shot kills your pet turtle.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Khanibal
Hero

Darkorinth wrote:If it was me, I'd go with a Walrus.

I don't think you can establish a familiar link with dead artists.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I know in the Megaversal Builder, they have some pretty cool alternative familiars and in NB WB3: Through the Glass Darkly, they even have intelligent humanoid familiars which include the Ashemdai, whom can alter their shape with any non-metal/mineral shape tables for the Nightbane.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Khanibal
Hero

Intelligent critters usually require "Summon Greater Familiar".

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Khanibal wrote:Intelligent critters usually require "Summon Greater Familiar".

With the exception of the familiars listed in Through the Glass Darkly.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Khanibal
Hero

They're still animal intelligence, but they're MDC. I notice in the description of Pegusi, that they "make good familiars".

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”