talisman and scrolls how long to use

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

talisman and scrolls how long to use

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Just wondering how long a talisman takes to release the magic never seen any offical but I have alway played one action? Any know if their are offical rules?
GMDijarian
Explorer

Re: talisman and scrolls how long to use

Unread post by GMDijarian »

Mouser13 wrote:Just wondering how long a talisman takes to release the magic never seen any offical but I have alway played one action? Any know if their are offical rules?

I would say one action. You could if you wanted also to use the new RU rules and say that depending on the level of the spell being cast is how long it takes.
1-5 level, once action
6-10 level, two actions
11-15, three actions
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Well, there's nothing official for talismans, but I've always figured 1 action. The ppe is already spent, the spell is cast, you're just pulling the trigger. One of the NPC's in one of the SoT books has some scrolls, and the book states that it takes 4 actions to read a scroll.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Talisman: instant = 1 melee action

Scroll: Depending on length of the scroll (I use the typical Palladium system in this case: low level: 1/2 off all melee actions, mid level: 1 melee, and high level/spells of legend: 2 melees).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Talismen activate and cast their stored spells with but a thought. So 1 APM.
Spell Scrolls have to be read, and I believe the books say 15-30 sec.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Talismen activate and cast their stored spells with but a thought. So 1 APM.
Spell Scrolls have to be read, and I believe the books say 15-30 sec.

I know i sound dumb. But where does it say the length of reading a scroll? (amount of actions)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The only place I'm pretty sure where they spell out the time needed to read a magic scroll is in the Parapsycologist OCC in the BTS1 book. The only reason I'm only pretty sure is that I can not find my BTS1 book right now.

But in the PF1 book it state that the spell is not set off till the reader finished reading the scroll.

Where in the rift books it says 'the instant the scroll is read aloud.' Which must be a misprint [or they didn't remember that it takes time to rear something aloud while writing it] of 'The instant they finish reading the scroll'. Yes, even RUE is subject to bad writing. It does not help that they make the same frelling "Mistake" in multiple places.

To go back to what the PB system is based off of, The 1st gen. D&D, there you have to finish reading a magic scroll before it goes off.

There is also the Text in the PF1 wizard that states that the scrolls can be written as complexly or simply as the mage wants.

There is another consideration that the higher the level spell the longer the spell scroll will be.

So unless the spell scroll uses 'power word' triggers (see the PF2 book) like some magic object, they are going to take a while to read.

Besides that, you measure the time it takes to read a magic scroll in Melees, not actions. Go ahead and open a game book and randomly read random paragraphs out loud to see the reality of what I'm saying.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Metathiax

Unread post by Metathiax »

Aren't talisman limited to a spell level of 8?
Khanibal
Hero

Yes, Talismans are spells of 8th or below.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khanibal wrote:Yes, Talismans are spells of 8th or below.

While you can't load them up with the annihilate spell, there are quite a few good spell that are 8 and below.
Khanibal
Hero

Ah-HAH!
I finally found it again.
SoT:6 pg 123 the write up for the NPC Mr. Slithers. Under equipment it lists which magic scrolls he has and states, "...to cast a scroll spell counts as four melee actions."
This was before the RUE changed normal cast magic from 2 per melee to 1 action for invocations 1-5, 2 actions for invocations 6-10, and 3 actions for invocations 11-15.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khanibal wrote:Ah-HAH!
I finally found it again.
SoT:6 pg. 123 the write up for the NPC Mr. Slithers. Under equipment it lists which magic scrolls he has and states, "...to cast a scroll spell counts as four melee actions."
This was before the RUE changed normal cast magic from 2 per melee to 1 action for invocations 1-5, 2 actions for invocations 6-10, and 3 actions for invocations 11-15.

"This was before the RUE changed the casting time for invocation from 2 per melee for L1-8 spells, to 1 action for level 1-5 invocations, 2 actions for level 6-10 invocations, and 3 actions or more for level 11-15 invocations." added some expansions and did some corrections.

I would expects that Mr. S had 4 APM per melee, so that is at least one melee for him to read a scroll.
Khanibal
Hero

He is an Octoman 6th level headhunter. HtH = Expert, so 7. No boxing. I guess he hasn't read the rulebook.
:)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”