Glitter Boy super-gun-rotator-thing?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Glitter Boy super-gun-rotator-thing?

Unread post by jaymz »

WELL... youy could see it as a vriation of mount...there are images of the GB holding its boomgun under its arm rather than over it in Chaos Earth. Sort of a shotting at the hip configuration....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The mounting point on the right shoulder is a ball joint. To go from the picture on p71 to the picture on p72, the GB would aim straight down, the rotate the gun to his right.

It doesn't flip over the shoulder, but around it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Apollo said he noticed the problem with the art and the description also, which is one of the reasons he's done them under the arm, since you reach back and pull it foward and storring a gun barrel up (only other possible way for being able to reach back and pull it foward) is a terrible thing to do. Durring inclement weather water will collect in the barrel, bad for firearms worse for a railgun.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Apollo said he noticed the problem with the art and the description also, which is one of the reasons he's done them under the arm, since you reach back and pull it foward and storring a gun barrel up (only other possible way for being able to reach back and pull it foward) is a terrible thing to do. Durring inclement weather water will collect in the barrel, bad for firearms worse for a railgun.

The pilots use an old military trick, they put condoms over the barrel. :lol:
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

art is not cannon.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

rat_bastard wrote:art is not cannon.

Except we are talking about a drawing of a cannon :D .
-Matt
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

As theories go, that one is... interesting.

What's the art actually there for then? :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mallak's Place wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Apollo said he noticed the problem with the art and the description also, which is one of the reasons he's done them under the arm, since you reach back and pull it foward and storring a gun barrel up (only other possible way for being able to reach back and pull it foward) is a terrible thing to do. Durring inclement weather water will collect in the barrel, bad for firearms worse for a railgun.

The pilots use an old military trick, they put condoms over the barrel. :lol:

Why don't they use the newer military trick? Carry the gun barrel down? I think the boom gun would need a magnum. :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rallan wrote:

Apparently there do give you an idea of what a vehicle isn't like. :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Ah so that was my mistake. All these years I thought the art was bought (and often specifically commissioned) to give me a better idea of what the setting is like :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rallan wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Ah so that was my mistake. All these years I thought the art was bought (and often specifically commissioned) to give me a better idea of what the setting is like :D

Glad you could translate my half asleepese. :)

Yeah they had us all going except for that one guy who makes everything look organic (techno wizard stuff in Merctown and much of Australia's art) he's there to make sure we know it isn't canon (imo they should have had him draw for all of the Xiticix, the demon realms but not the creatures themselves... maybe even the brass city, but his rendition of technology is just horrid.)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

rat_bastard wrote:art is not always cannon.

Fixed. ;)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The Beast wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:art is not always cannon.

Fixed. ;)

Please use the quotation feature as it is intended, as an accurate representation of another post.

Thanks,
Mack
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Apollo Okamura
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Apollo Okamura »

Actually, I do draw the cannon (no pun intended) over the arm, since the description says, "The weapon is attached to the back and right shoulder of the armor. When not in use, the gun is flipped back and stored in an upward position. When needed for combat, the GB's operator simply reaches back, grasps the handle and pulls forward."

Problem is, the Kevin Long/Siembieda picture is on a rotation joint; which, like a person's shoulder, points down. Kevin Long's other diagrams are on a ball joint, which would suggest the gun arcs up, swivels forward then rotates down. It's better, but there's no way a ball-joint + swivel would be able to handle a rail gun! A more accurate version of the gun (despite the bad animation) would probably be in Nokia's Promise of Power where, in the video, the cannon is likely track-fed up and over the shoulder - which would probably handle the suspension much better than a simple swivel joint. They had another version where it simply rotates over the shoulder, but while it faces the right direction, it's way too high over the shoulder making it impossible to get to the handle (especially with the handle being behind the swivel joint).

Basically, in my opinion, it would come down to redesigning the upper half of the GlitterBoy, but with the GB's current design being around for 25 years now, despite being functionally inaccurate, the image itself is iconic. So redesigning the suit would upset a few fans, I'm sure.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Apollo Okamura wrote:Actually, I do draw the cannon (no pun intended) over the arm, since the description says, "The weapon is attached to the back and right shoulder of the armor. When not in use, the gun is flipped back and stored in an upward position. When needed for combat, the GB's operator simply reaches back, grasps the handle and pulls forward."

Problem is, the Kevin Long/Siembieda picture is on a rotation joint; which, like a person's shoulder, points down. Kevin Long's other diagrams are on a ball joint, which would suggest the gun arcs up, swivels forward then rotates down. It's better, but there's no way a ball-joint + swivel would be able to handle a rail gun! A more accurate version of the gun (despite the bad animation) would probably be in Nokia's Promise of Power where, in the video, the cannon is likely track-fed up and over the shoulder - which would probably handle the suspension much better than a simple swivel joint. They had another version where it simply rotates over the shoulder, but while it faces the right direction, it's way too high over the shoulder making it impossible to get to the handle (especially with the handle being behind the swivel joint).

Basically, in my opinion, it would come down to redesigning the upper half of the GlitterBoy, but with the GB's current design being around for 25 years now, despite being functionally inaccurate, the image itself is iconic. So redesigning the suit would upset a few fans, I'm sure.

I'm sorry, who was that, that drew the under arm Boom Gun? Oh and did you finish that Blind Warrior Woman in the dungeon drawing? :D Just teasing I know you have better things to do.
Apollo Okamura
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Apollo Okamura »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I'm sorry, who was that, that drew the under arm Boom Gun? Oh and did you finish that Blind Warrior Woman in the dungeon drawing? :D Just teasing I know you have better things to do.

No prob. I believe the picture you're referring to was drawn by Freddie Williams II in Rift Chaos Earth.

I think I've had to give up on the Blind Warrior pic. Been so swamped doing the teaching thing, I've barely had a chance to draw much of anything really. :-?
Speaking of which, I should really change my sig... Marvel's Civil War series ended like 3 years ago!! :erm:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Apollo Okamura wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I'm sorry, who was that, that drew the under arm Boom Gun? Oh and did you finish that Blind Warrior Woman in the dungeon drawing? :D Just teasing I know you have better things to do.

No prob. I believe the picture you're referring to was drawn by Freddie Williams II in Rift Chaos Earth.

I think I've had to give up on the Blind Warrior pic. Been so swamped doing the teaching thing, I've barely had a chance to draw much of anything really. :-?
Speaking of which, I should really change my sig... Marvel's Civil War series ended like 3 years ago!! :erm:

Meh, so how is the teaching gig going? I just got a job with the Evil Empire... good thing they have a sense of humor. The only bad thing is I'm going to have to rearrange my sleeping schedule so I can do Euro time for Microsoft Support. So if MS comms are down in Europe/Africa it'll be me somewhere in the background trying to fix that.

Hopefully I'll catch you at a POH again and just ask you to draw it for me there so I can stop pestering you and have you make a photo copy or something so you can sell them, because I know they'd be popular.

Return to “Rifts®”