Idenitcal twins

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Idenitcal twins

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

argos wrote:Do identical twins who are both practioners of magic have the same psychic scent to dog boys and psychic sensitives?

I would say no...
my understanding of how Psychic Scent works is its based off of the aura of the target. Auras are affected by our personal experiences. No matter how "identical" twins are they will have differences in their experiences even if they both studied at the foot of the same master. They will both have their own view on things.
Their "Psychic Scents" will be similar yet distinct.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No, alter aura has no bearing on your psychic scent. And no, idential twins don't have the same scent.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Since identical twins aren't identical, no their scent is not identical either.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

That would depend on familiarity. If the psychic in question knows the twins, he'd be able to tell the difference. If not familiar, he is likely to confuse them.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:That would depend on familiarity. If the psychic in question knows the twins, he'd be able to tell the difference. If not familiar, he is likely to confuse them.

If he dosn't know them, he wouldn't know which is which anyway.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

argos wrote:Well, they dont have to be identical, but can they be similar enough to fool a sensitive. In other words, would you require some sort of roll to determine accuracy.

As stated by another poster it would depend on the Psychic sensitive and the relative "strength" of the ability.
It would also depend on the situation.

EG1. using the Psychic scent of one twin to locate the other there would be enough similarity for this to work if the Tracker is well trained in the use of his ability. (coalition dog boy yes, feral dog boy maybe).

EG2. telling one twin from another. with out a doubt the differences would stand out to any sensitive at that point.

NOTE:There are no written rules that cover this concept and as you can see there is some division in opinions on the matter. It truly boils down to a GM call.

ASIDE: when I get hit with a situation such as this I first check my out of game knowledge base. If after that i can still argue it either way I then ask myself (as the GM) which makes for a better story?
Given the brevity of the question I can only answer based upon my knowledge base. Does the plot hinge on one of those case of mistaken Identity things? or is it one of those my players just hit me with a wild scheme type things?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I hitn tif the twins hoad grown up together then they ouwld have a similar enough scent that it would require a skill roll to determine the difference.
ANd if there wasn't a reasonto suspect twins then they wouldn't attacmaticalaly be able ot make the roll, they'd have to have reason to try.
The more different they are personaltiy wise and life wise then the easier it would be to tell the difference.
THis is all jsut my opinion of course.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Twin that grow up together tend to be very dissimilar in their likes and dislikes. This is due to them trying to differentiate themselves from the other twin.
Twins that grow up separately trend to be very similar to each other.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Sir_Spirit wrote:I hitn tif the twins hoad grown up together then they ouwld have a similar enough scent that it would require a skill roll to determine the difference.
ANd if there wasn't a reasonto suspect twins then they wouldn't attacmaticalaly be able ot make the roll, they'd have to have reason to try.
The more different they are personaltiy wise and life wise then the easier it would be to tell the difference.
THis is all jsut my opinion of course.

Of coruse, that has no relevence to psychic scent as there's nothing that indicates that family members psychic scent are similar in the first place.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”