Familiar Link Question.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Familiar Link Question.

Unread post by The Beast »

I don't have my books with me at the moment, and I began wondering at what point would the spell to make a creature your familiar cease to work. Here's a quick list of the ones I was wondering about:

Reptiles (pretty sure it works)

Birds (I know it works for this)

Elephants (don't know about any sort of size limitation)

and the one that started my thoughts...

Dinosaurs. Most of the things I've read on them suggest that birds evolved from them, and I think I've read that dinosaurs evolved from reptiles. Based off of that there shouldn't be an issue with making one your familiar. The majority of dinosaurs had small brains, so intelligence shouldn't be an issue. I can't remember if there was a size limitation on the spell or not. The only thing I can think of that would hinder someone making a dinosaur their familiar would be feeding it, but that's only an issue if you go for the bigger ones (human-sized and up). So is there an official ruling on this somewhere?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Familiar Link Question.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Beast wrote:I don't have my books with me at the moment, and I began wondering at what point would the spell to make a creature your familiar cease to work. Here's a quick list of the ones I was wondering about:

Reptiles (pretty sure it works)

Birds (I know it works for this)

Elephants (don't know about any sort of size limitation)

and the one that started my thoughts...

Dinosaurs. Most of the things I've read on them suggest that birds evolved from them, and I think I've read that dinosaurs evolved from reptiles. Based off of that there shouldn't be an issue with making one your familiar. The majority of dinosaurs had small brains, so intelligence shouldn't be an issue. I can't remember if there was a size limitation on the spell or not. The only thing I can think of that would hinder someone making a dinosaur their familiar would be feeding it, but that's only an issue if you go for the bigger ones (human-sized and up). So is there an official ruling on this somewhere?

What makes you think there IS a point it would cease to work? It will work on any mortal animal period. What gave you the idea there was a limit? Your perfectly free to link to a Blue Whale if you thought it'd be helpful.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:What makes you think there IS a point it would cease to work?

Because Palladium has a problem with watering-down stuff to the point where it's almost usless.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for answering that for me. :D
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Actually, I believe there is a size limit. But I've got to get ready for work and will have to dig that up later.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Thanks. Of course, I've disregarded that rule, but it is canon.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The Familiar Link spell is generally limited to small animals, but the Familiar Link power of the Shifter O.C.C. (among others) works with large animals like lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!). The alternate familiar rules in Nightbane: Through the Glass Darkly seem to have no concrete size restrictions, although natural animal familiars must still be birds, mammals, or reptiles.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”