How would YOU kill the Xiticix?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hystrix
Champion

Re: How would YOU kill the Xiticix?

Unread post by Hystrix »

Jorel wrote:
Hystrix wrote:This wouldn't be the easiest way, to be sure, but chemical warfare seems to be the best way. The trick is finding a poison or biological agent that kills 100% of Xiticix, or makes those that survive, steril. I don't remember the Rifter it was in, but there is an article on the CS Biowarfare, and it briefly discussed the idea of chemical warefare. Again, not simple, but could be done.

If some bio-agent could be discovered or invented it could be administered on some scouts who take it back to thier respective hives, and spread it like a desiese. No lose of human (or d-bee) life nessisary.... except for the Xiticix...

Awesome suggestion. Do you know what Rifter that is in?

Thanks!

Dang it! I don't which Rifter though. I'll have look it up when I get home from work.

It was definatly published in 2003 or earlier, as the campaign I ran was in 2002-2003
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:
keir451 wrote:Get a bunch of Water Warlocks to open a series of Rifts to the Elemental Plane of Water over the Xiticix hives.

How does a Water Warlock open a rift?

Re-Open Portlal scroll .
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Lenwen wrote:
Mack wrote:
keir451 wrote:Get a bunch of Water Warlocks to open a series of Rifts to the Elemental Plane of Water over the Xiticix hives.

Re-Open Portlal scroll .

Warlock hires Rifter. I think all you would need is the Rifter. Rifter opens Rift to bottom of ocean on some other planet.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Jorel wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Mack wrote:

Re-Open Portlal scroll .

Warlock hires Rifter. I think all you would need is the Rifter. Rifter opens Rift to bottom of ocean on some other planet.

Ok. I'm going out on a limb here, but would opening a Rift in the bottom of the ocean really work? I mean if that were the case, wouldn't opening a Rift in to the void of space suck all the air out of the planet? I'm thinkin' the entire planet would be gone if that were the case.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Hystrix wrote:
Jorel wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Mack wrote:

Re-Open Portlal scroll .

Ok. I'm going out on a limb here, but would opening a Rift in the bottom of the ocean really work? I mean if that were the case, wouldn't opening a Rift in to the void of space suck all the air out of the planet? I'm thinkin' the entire planet would be gone if that were the case.

How long is this Rift to space open for? I don't think the atmosphere would vent instantly. I do think pressure would drop and atmosphere and debris would get sucked into space.

"The Devil's among us!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Jorel wrote:How long is this Rift to space open for? I don't think the atmosphere would vent instantly. I do think pressure would drop and atmosphere and debris would get sucked into space.

See, I don't think that. If a Rift opens in front of your charaters do you get sucked into it, or do the characters have to take a physical step into the rift? If everything's getting sucked in, that's a vortex, not a rift. There should be a difference.... I'm just saying. Maybe there are game rules that say different, but the way i've always understood it the olny things a go in or out of rifts are the things that dilibriatly do so...
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Hystrix wrote:
Jorel wrote:How long is this Rift to space open for? I don't think the atmosphere would vent instantly. I do think pressure would drop and atmosphere and debris would get sucked into space.

See, I don't think that. If a Rift opens in front of your charaters do you get sucked into it, or do the characters have to take a physical step into the rift? If everything's getting sucked in, that's a vortex, not a rift. There should be a difference.... I'm just saying. Maybe there are game rules that say different, but the way i've always understood it the olny things a go in or out of rifts are the things that dilibriatly do so...

makes sense. I have a ? on the Q & A and was basing it on my responses from that. I agree that you shouldn't be able to rift atmosphere/water. If you can then depending on what side you are on, it would create a vacuum (suck you in) or a rush of wind (keeping you out).

"The Devil's among us!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Jorel wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

makes sense. I have a ? on the Q & A and was basing it on my responses from that. I agree that you shouldn't be able to rift atmosphere/water. If you can then depending on what side you are on, it would create a vacuum (suck you in) or a rush of wind (keeping you out).

Yes. That's actually a better way of putting it.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Hystrix wrote:
Jorel wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Yes. That's actually a better way of putting it.

In terms of the Xits you would have some surprised (angry) sea beasties swimming with the bugs. Hope you aren't in there with them, or that you're in EBA or able to breathe with some means of defense/offense.

"The Devil's among us!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Shark_Force wrote:
ok, you completely missed my point, which is that the simple act of transporting the obscenely large quantities of water makes the idea that this is the easiest way to do anything laughable. yes, water is plentiful. so are many other things. that doesn't mean that it's a trivial task to just pick up an ocean and drop it on the xiticix.

And you seem to not want to understand ..

The Tunnels of the Xitixic are literally Thousands upon thousands of feet under the water table .. and are sealed up from the inside out ..

Break that seal .. and the place would start to fill up with water .. break it in multiple places .. and it would start to fill up in multiple places ..

Bring in water Worlocks .. and create water / Summon greater Elementals (with the express command find eggs and kill).. and its game over for the Xits ..
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Warlocks are integral to any plan I would have to defeat the Xiticix.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Lenwen wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
ok, you completely missed my point, which is that the simple act of transporting the obscenely large quantities of water makes the idea that this is the easiest way to do anything laughable. yes, water is plentiful. so are many other things. that doesn't mean that it's a trivial task to just pick up an ocean and drop it on the xiticix.

And you seem to not want to understand ..

The Tunnels of the Xitixic are literally Thousands upon thousands of feet under the water table .. and are sealed up from the inside out ..

Break that seal .. and the place would start to fill up with water .. break it in multiple places .. and it would start to fill up in multiple places ..

Bring in water Worlocks .. and create water / Summon greater Elementals (with the express command find eggs and kill).. and its game over for the Xits ..

it wouldn't be anywhere near fast enough to have the desired effect. in order to pull this off, you'd also have to keep the xiticix from just sealing off the leak for a long, long time.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

The only TRUE way to exterminate them is with Genetic Engineering. Make the Queen Sterile or engineer a virus that only affects Xiticix.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I'd use major fire & earth elementals to start mega volcanoes under the hives and they block the upper level tunnels while the lava fills the tunnels. Since their spells have a increased range a spell like cloud of smoke could become deadly fast in a tight quarters along with the volcanoes smoke and ash.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

barna10 wrote:The only TRUE way to exterminate them is with Genetic Engineering. Make the Queen Sterile or engineer a virus that only affects Xiticix.

Wrong .. thats not the only way .. and out of every option yet discussed would take with out a doubt the longest time ..

I believe the Xit book said 5-10 years for anything that "might" have a 50/50 chance .. of working ..

Thor shot with Splugorthian star ships .. from their grav slabs .. about 5 shots would be enough to utterly destroy and crater down deep enough to wipe 75-90% of the Xits out ..

Then send in a couple million soldiers to "sweep & clear" the entire area .. and call it a day ..

Atlantis has this very capability and canonly speaking they have been said as being able to take out the Xits (all together) by merely sending in tens of millions of troops straight up.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Lenwen wrote:
barna10 wrote:The only TRUE way to exterminate them is with Genetic Engineering. Make the Queen Sterile or engineer a virus that only affects Xiticix.

Wrong .. thats not the only way .. and out of every option yet discussed would take with out a doubt the longest time ..

I believe the Xit book said 5-10 years for anything that "might" have a 50/50 chance .. of working ..

Thor shot with Splugorthian star ships .. from their grav slabs .. about 5 shots would be enough to utterly destroy and crater down deep enough to wipe 75-90% of the Xits out ..

Then send in a couple million soldiers to "sweep & clear" the entire area .. and call it a day ..

Atlantis has this very capability and canonly speaking they have been said as being able to take out the Xits (all together) by merely sending in tens of millions of troops straight up.

It all depends on how fast the "Xits" reproduce. The faster they reproduce, the faster a genetic attack would kill them off.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

barna10 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

It all depends on how fast the "Xits" reproduce. The faster they reproduce, the faster a genetic attack would kill them off.

Your misunderstanding .. the Xit book itself clearly states that any type of "Xit" only genetic attack will take 5-10 years to develop from that time .. not that it takes 5-10 years to "start" working on the Xits themselves ..
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Lenwen wrote:
barna10 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Your misunderstanding .. the Xit book itself clearly states that any type of "Xit" only genetic attack will take 5-10 years to develop from that time .. not that it takes 5-10 years to "start" working on the Xits themselves ..

Page number please?
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

As I watch future weapons and similar programs I feel that with the tech level of rifts that the creation of ground penatrating munitions, plasma based, would be most effective in a case like this.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Any argument like this needs to take into account the skewed view Palladium has of science and technology. Has anyone even considered a nano-attack? We are within a few years of being able to deploy such a weapon now. A nano-attack would devastate a hive in a few hours.

A Thor shot from Splugorth spaceships in Earth orbit? What about the debris field and killer satellites? Besides, if Atlantis could mount such an attack, why wouldn't they use it against non-bug enemies like Triax, the New Navy, or the Coalition?
Shark_Force
Palladin

barna10 wrote:Any argument like this needs to take into account the skewed view Palladium has of science and technology. Has anyone even considered a nano-attack? We are within a few years of being able to deploy such a weapon now. A nano-attack would devastate a hive in a few hours.

A Thor shot from Splugorth spaceships in Earth orbit? What about the debris field and killer satellites? Besides, if Atlantis could mount such an attack, why wouldn't they use it against non-bug enemies like Triax, the New Navy, or the Coalition?

well, simple version... they don't care about triax, the new navy, or the coalition that much. heck they don't care about the bugs that much. that's why they don't do it.

as far as getting into space, well... an orbital debris field is indeed a magnificently effective way to keep stuff from going through orbit... provided said stuff actually has to pass through all the points in between the ground and orbit. if, on the other hand, all it takes is a simple teleport spell to completely bypass the debris field, followed by a spell to open a rift to a splugorth spaceship... well, i don't see the orbital debris field being too much of a problem.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Shark_Force wrote:
barna10 wrote:Any argument like this needs to take into account the skewed view Palladium has of science and technology. Has anyone even considered a nano-attack? We are within a few years of being able to deploy such a weapon now. A nano-attack would devastate a hive in a few hours.

well, simple version... they don't care about triax, the new navy, or the coalition that much. heck they don't care about the bugs that much. that's why they don't do it.

as far as getting into space, well... an orbital debris field is indeed a magnificently effective way to keep stuff from going through orbit... provided said stuff actually has to pass through all the points in between the ground and orbit. if, on the other hand, all it takes is a simple teleport spell to completely bypass the debris field, followed by a spell to open a rift to a splugorth spaceship... well, i don't see the orbital debris field being too much of a problem.

Exactly .. 100% right on ..

:)
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Warlocks are integral to any plan I would have to defeat the Xiticix.

See, I'm tempted to agree with you, and many others about using Warlocks and Elemental against the Xiticix. Elementals are huges, powerful forces of nature, in and of themselves.

However, a few problems I see with that, are...

1.) Numbers. Tolkeen was a HUGE kingdom of magic, but according to SoT6 they only had about 3,000 or so Warlocks. Total. While that may seem like alot, remember this: That was ALL Tolkeen could muster as far as Warlocks go. So even Lazlo is gonna have trouble with feilding that many. However, for arguments sake, lets say Lazlo comes up with a huge number of Warlocks. Let's say double what Tolkeen could muster at around 6,000. Ok, now how many of those are 9th level or higher? Tough to say, but prolly significantly less, maybe, MAYBE, 10%. Why 9th level? Because a Warlock must be 9th level or higher to summon a greater elemntal. Ok, so that's 600 Greater Elementals, and that seems like a lot, but it's not as much as you think. Yes, you may have a couple thousand Lesser Elementals, but they don't have the Oomph that the Greater ones do.

2.) Those 600 or so Greater Elemetals (that's 600 between Fire, Earth, Water, and Air, not each) are spread pretty thin. Even the smallest Xiticix hive has a few hundred thousand (if not in the millions) of Xiticix. Now, I admit, numbers are NOT going to be as much of a factor, but they still matter somewhat. Here's the second problem: Elemental, even greater ones, might be the most unobservant beings in the entire megaverse. I can honestly see a few Xiticix Nannies hiding with a few young or eggs, and sneeking away. Those young can later turn into new Queens.

3.) In the end, best case senerio, you would (hopefully) slaughter millions of Xiticix, but enough would escape detection and move elsewhere to start new hives. You might save this generation, but in 20 or 30 years Rifts North America would be faced with the same problem all over again.

Now, I'm not saying that the Elemental method(s) won't work at all. They WILL work, and will drastically cut the Xiticix population down (if everything goes according to plan), but it is NOT a permenant solution...

...The only permenant solution is Bio-engenering or chemical warfare. Will it take longer? Yes. But it maybe be the most perment solution.

Heck, maybe a combination of the two ideas. A campaign involing warlocks and elemntals to cut the population down, and a second campaign of chemical/biological warfare to finish them off...
Shark_Force
Palladin

biological and chemical are a spectacularly bad choice for a weapon to use in your own backyard. i suppose i might consider using them on a completely separate planet to be pretty safe, provided i didn't have any plans to move in.

but really, there's a *reason* these weapons are so strictly controlled, and a big part of that reason is the fact that they don't just kill the target, they have a nasty tendency to do horrible horrible things to everyone else too, and they tend to stay around for a long, long time. and they tend to spread from the area you use them on.

in general, there is maybe *one* group that i would trust (in the megaverse) to create a biological weapon that would reliably target only the xiticix and have no chance to spread to anything else. there are *zero* groups i would trust to come up with a chemical agent powerful enough to significantly hamper the xiticix without having extremely bad consequences for pretty much everything and anything it comes in contact with.

on the other hand, elementals at least have the advantage that they aren't likely to render an area uninhabitable, and even less of a chance that said wasteland will be of the variety that spreads over time through groundwater or by poisoned or diseased animals entering and leaving the area. assuming things go horribly, horribly wrong with elementals, about the worst you could expect is that the elementals could somehow go berzerk, kill whatever is annoying them at a given time, and then go home and cease to be a problem. and if you only use elementals summoned by warlocks, you probably don't even have to worry about them going berzerk.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Shark_Force wrote:biological and chemical are a spectacularly bad choice for a weapon to use in your own backyard. i suppose i might consider using them on a completely separate planet to be pretty safe, provided i didn't have any plans to move in.

but really, there's a *reason* these weapons are so strictly controlled, and a big part of that reason is the fact that they don't just kill the target, they have a nasty tendency to do horrible horrible things to everyone else too, and they tend to stay around for a long, long time. and they tend to spread from the area you use them on.

in general, there is maybe *one* group that i would trust (in the megaverse) to create a biological weapon that would reliably target only the xiticix and have no chance to spread to anything else. there are *zero* groups i would trust to come up with a chemical agent powerful enough to significantly hamper the xiticix without having extremely bad consequences for pretty much everything and anything it comes in contact with.

on the other hand, elementals at least have the advantage that they aren't likely to render an area uninhabitable, and even less of a chance that said wasteland will be of the variety that spreads over time through groundwater or by poisoned or diseased animals entering and leaving the area. assuming things go horribly, horribly wrong with elementals, about the worst you could expect is that the elementals could somehow go berzerk, kill whatever is annoying them at a given time, and then go home and cease to be a problem. and if you only use elementals summoned by warlocks, you probably don't even have to worry about them going berzerk.

There are no controls for bio/chemical weapons in Rifts. Is there? Where is it listed?
Just because an Elemental doesn't have "human" intelligence doesn't make it an idiot. If you **** one off they could sap all of the nutrients out of the soil maybe worse and bring radio active elements to the surface if we're talking an Earth elemental. I can think of ways that a water could make a lasting if not a little delayed persistant problem with the water supply. I can't think of how Air or Fire could do something persistant.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:biological and chemical are a spectacularly bad choice for a weapon to use in your own backyard. i suppose i might consider using them on a completely separate planet to be pretty safe, provided i didn't have any plans to move in.

There are no controls for bio/chemical weapons in Rifts. Is there? Where is it listed?
Just because an Elemental doesn't have "human" intelligence doesn't make it an idiot. If you **** one off they could sap all of the nutrients out of the soil maybe worse and bring radio active elements to the surface if we're talking an Earth elemental. I can think of ways that a water could make a lasting if not a little delayed persistant problem with the water supply. I can't think of how Air or Fire could do something persistant.

so... your argument is that because palladium hasn't included rules for producing biological or chemical agents suited to the goal of killing millions upon millions, that those biological and chemical agents will be nothing like what exists in the real world?

and that somehow, not using these unpredictable and unreliable weapons which the elementals likely don't even grasp the concept of, the elementals which have established behaviour patterns are going to randomly decide that today, instead of killing the people who angered them and then going home, they're going to go postal and lay waste to the planet for no apparent reason?

i mean, i'm trying to grasp exactly what you mean with your rant. i mean, i suppose it's possible for an earth elemental to go all 'scorched earth' if it wanted to (i'm not aware of any rules that allow them to actually do that mind you, but i'll allow that the concept of an earth elemental involves the earth elemental having at least some degree of control over the alchemical element of earth, which could possibly be interpreted to mean that the elemental is able to salt the earth, figuratively speaking), but the thing is, that's not what elementals do when they get mad over being controlled. we're told exactly what a controlled elemental (ie not summoned by a warlock) does when it escapes, and that consists of 2 basic things: 1) kill the person or people who enslaved it, and possibly people in the immediate area, if possible, and 2) go home. it has nothing to do with being smart or dumb. it has to do with how they act.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Hystrix wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Warlocks are integral to any plan I would have to defeat the Xiticix.

See, I'm tempted to agree with you, and many others about using Warlocks and Elemental against the Xiticix. Elementals are huges, powerful forces of nature, in and of themselves.

1.) Numbers. Tolkeen was a HUGE kingdom of magic, but according to SoT6 they only had about 3,000 or so Warlocks. Total. While that may seem like alot, remember this: That was ALL Tolkeen could muster as far as Warlocks go. So even Lazlo is gonna have trouble with feilding that many. However, for arguments sake, lets say Lazlo comes up with a huge number of Warlocks. Let's say double what Tolkeen could muster at around 6,000. Ok, now how many of those are 9th level or higher? Tough to say, but prolly significantly less, maybe, MAYBE, 10%. Why 9th level? Because a Warlock must be 9th level or higher to summon a greater elemntal. Ok, so that's 600 Greater Elementals, and that seems like a lot, but it's not as much as you think. Yes, you may have a couple thousand Lesser Elementals, but they don't have the Oomph that the Greater ones do.

2.) Those 600 or so Greater Elemetals (that's 600 between Fire, Earth, Water, and Air, not each) are spread pretty thin. Even the smallest Xiticix hive has a few hundred thousand (if not in the millions) of Xiticix. Now, I admit, numbers are NOT going to be as much of a factor, but they still matter somewhat. Here's the second problem: Elemental, even greater ones, might be the most unobservant beings in the entire megaverse. I can honestly see a few Xiticix Nannies hiding with a few young or eggs, and sneeking away. Those young can later turn into new Queens.

3.) In the end, best case senerio, you would (hopefully) slaughter millions of Xiticix, but enough would escape detection and move elsewhere to start new hives. You might save this generation, but in 20 or 30 years Rifts North America would be faced with the same problem all over again.

Now, I'm not saying that the Elemental method(s) won't work at all. They WILL work, and will drastically cut the Xiticix population down (if everything goes according to plan), but it is NOT a permenant solution...

...The only permenant solution is Bio-engenering or chemical warfare. Will it take longer? Yes. But it maybe be the most perment solution.

Heck, maybe a combination of the two ideas. A campaign involing warlocks and elemntals to cut the population down, and a second campaign of chemical/biological warfare to finish them off...

A Shifter can summon one at very low level 2 to 4 and control up to 5 major Elementals before they start rebelling with battle of wills. Rue & Dimensional Builder lists the rules and says after 5 supernatural creature are controlled by pacts the Shifter is in great danger of losing control of them all. If a Shifters teamed up with Warlocks to help make the Elemental understand their missions better and have the Shifter buff them with defensives spells and send some them in from the Earth's core with magma and have a network of tunnels pre-dug to burst through at key spots. What kind of penalties could the elementals bring to the bugs with earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, fog, smoke, lightning storms, floods, dust storm and ice.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Hystrix wrote:

A Shifter can summon one at very low level 2 to 4 and control up to 5 major Elementals before they start rebelling with battle of wills. Rue & Dimensional Builder lists the rules and says after 5 supernatural creature are controlled by pacts the Shifter is in great danger of losing control of them all. If a Shifters teamed up with Warlocks to help make the Elemental understand their missions better and have the Shifter buff them with defensives spells and send some them in from the Earth's core with magma and have a network of tunnels pre-dug to burst through at key spots. What kind of penalties could the elementals bring to the bugs with earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, fog, smoke, lightning storms, floods, dust storm and ice.
Shark_Force
Palladin

the problem there is that if the shifter summons an elemental... then neither the elemental nor the warlock will be on good terms with the shifter. bringing the warlock into the equation just means that now you have someone who wants to beat the crap out of you because you're enslaving elementals.

you'd be much better off summoning, say, blow worms, or magots, if you wanted something big instead of smaller stuff.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

runebeo wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I'm looking through RUE and I don't see anything about Shifters being able to summon Elementals, much less greater elementals. I'm not saying they can't, but It seem like that's more of the Warlocks forte. If you allow Shifters to summon multiple greater elementals at low levels, thsat really hamstrings the Warlock OCC. It dose talk about the Shifter summoning and controling 5 lesser supernatural monsters. If that's the case, then they could control 5 lesser elementals (at level 9), but not greater ones. So you would still need Warlocks for that.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Dimensional Builder gives tables on summon nearly every supernatural creature in Rifts from Elementals, angels, ghosts, demons, devils, etc... Some have bonuses to save vs battle of wills and other greater demon who like to serve have none. Its a great book yet the dimension building part could use some work. The RUE version of Shifter is very close to the one in this book thou DB had greater detail and way more options and wider selection of gods and AIs to link to.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

El Camacho wrote:My idea would be operation: blaze of glory.

I'm thinking a few thousand mega-juicers in their final stages of life (burnout) would do the trick.

This of course would be accomplished by the new CS mega-juicer initiative where "volunteers" would be "recruited" into service for this new experimental division of the armed forces. With enough screening of applicants for similar physical characteristics and careful monitoring of dosage, I'm sure enough would enter the burnout stages at the same time to make a sizable fighting force. Any volunteers failing to meet expectations would have their dosages and activities increased to encourage more team oriented attitude and meet expected time frames.

Sadly as these brave heroes of the coalition are entering their final days of service to mankind, the cruel xiticix executed a savage and unprovoked attack on the families of our company of heroes. Who just happen to be starting the groundwork for a new CS fortress city in northern Minnesota area. Perhaps this plan was to ambitious, but there is no time to debate that now. There is just enough time to get some revenge.

I'm not sure this would eradicate the hives, but it sure would soften them up enough for cleanup by conventional troops and save countless troops and resources in the process.

As long as the Jeffster video isn't playing in the background.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I think that a biological solution is by far the best chance. I'm sure a direct attack from various sources is possible but there would always be a chance that a queen or two got away to start a new hive.

To me the idea that the CS with all of its genetic engineering technology and knowledge would create the Xiticix Killer rather than some virus or parasite is kind of silly as anyone with a good knowledge of genetics would know. Whilst predators do have an effect on a population, it is very rare for a predator to completely kill a species, especially a fast breeding, hive based species. The best way to kill a species is to introduce another organism that competes for or kills the species main food source. Parasites and viruses have a much better impact than a large species as a large predator needs many years to grow to maturity and reproduce where as a parasite, bacteria or virus can reproduce very quickly.

The best way to kill the bugs quick without doubt would be to introduce an organism, be it a virus, bacteria or even another insect that eats and kills the food source whilst releasing another virus or parasite that target the bugs themselves. Only then would something like the Xiticix Killer have a good chance of wiping entire hives.

I understand the CS scientists don't know what the Xiticix eat, but it would be the main priority to find out. All the research they do would be geared towards it and it really wouldn't be that hard to find out. Capture a bug and cut open its stomach, examine the contents. They have already been deep into the heart of a hive to do research on queens, grubs and nits. Discovering what they eat is easier because you don't have to do that, you only need to capture workers and warriors and examine them.

As Xiticix only eat one thing they would be incredibly vulnerable to anything that would endanger that food source.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

grandmaster z0b wrote:I think that a biological solution is by far the best chance. I'm sure a direct attack from various sources is possible but there would always be a chance that a queen or two got away to start a new hive.

To me the idea that the CS with all of its genetic engineering technology and knowledge would create the Xiticix Killer rather than some virus or parasite is kind of silly as anyone with a good knowledge of genetics would know. Whilst predators do have an effect on a population, it is very rare for a predator to completely kill a species, especially a fast breeding, hive based species. The best way to kill a species is to introduce another organism that competes for or kills the species main food source. Parasites and viruses have a much better impact than a large species as a large predator needs many years to grow to maturity and reproduce where as a parasite, bacteria or virus can reproduce very quickly.

The best way to kill the bugs quick without doubt would be to introduce an organism, be it a virus, bacteria or even another insect that eats and kills the food source whilst releasing another virus or parasite that target the bugs themselves. Only then would something like the Xiticix Killer have a good chance of wiping entire hives.

I understand the CS scientists don't know what the Xiticix eat, but it would be the main priority to find out. All the research they do would be geared towards it and it really wouldn't be that hard to find out. Capture a bug and cut open its stomach, examine the contents. They have already been deep into the heart of a hive to do research on queens, grubs and nits. Discovering what they eat is easier because you don't have to do that, you only need to capture workers and warriors and examine them.

As Xiticix only eat one thing they would be incredibly vulnerable to anything that would endanger that food source.

Ah come on the Xiticix killer is a genetics collector that they sent out and will either turn out to create the virus/bacteria on its own or have to go back to Lone Star to be emptied so that they can develop the B/C off of more diverse genetic data.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:I think that a biological solution is by far the best chance. I'm sure a direct attack from various sources is possible but there would always be a chance that a queen or two got away to start a new hive.

Ah come on the Xiticix killer is a genetics collector that they sent out and will either turn out to create the virus/bacteria on its own or have to go back to Lone Star to be emptied so that they can develop the B/C off of more diverse genetic data.

but that just makes too much sense Zero...
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Wait! Don't Xiticix eat...people? <shudder>
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

I believe they turn you into Soylant sludge for their pupa to eat.

The introduction of a Xiticix specific parasite that ends up affecting the entire hive would be the route I'd go and it would be introduced via the Xiticix hunters.
The parasite would live in the Xiticix lungs and the parasite young would later be coughed up and end up getting passed on.
At a certain point of the parasites life cycle it would release a virus taylored to their genetic code.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

here is a cruel idea.

Step #1: Ward all exits/entrances into a Xiticix nest with magic that pervents undead from passing through the opening
Step #2: head to Mexico and start collecting packs of wild vampires.
Step #3: Teleport the Vampires into the Xiticix nest.

Xiticix do not use Fire, or Silver or Wood weapons, so they will not be able to incapacitate or kill the vampires. While the vampire will tear apart the bugs by the score. The Vampires cannot feed on the bug men, or escape the Nest. After 3 weeks the vampire will go mad and attack the bugs almost non stop as long as it is awake. Now imagine several packs of 12-20 Wild vampires running around a nest of Xiticixs
Shark_Force
Palladin

the xiticix don't even necessarily 'eat' at all. the young xiticix eat mush that is basically made out of PPE and people in order to speed up their growth, but even that isn't necessary as such, it just makes them grow faster. so destroying their food source is likely not an option; if the CS could do anything about the PPE levels on rifts earth, they would likely have already done it.

and the main problem with biological warfare remains the same. those small organisms that have a rapid population growth also have a more rapid mutation rate, and the ones that will be most likely to survive long enough to reproduce are the ones that can target a broader spectrum than just xiticix alone... meaning, there's a good chance this will bite them in the butt. even if it doesn't end up being a supervirus that slaughters humans (which is probably at least a number of mutations down the line, since at a guess insects are much closer to the xiticix biologically than humans), whatever it kills is likely to be something important, and the virus could then spread to other species and could eventually actually become a supervirus that kills humans.

releasing something as uncontrollable as a virus into the environment is generally not a very good idea unless you've got a largely impenetrable barrier in between you and the place you're releasing the virus... which is something the CS absolutely does not have.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Shark_Force wrote:

the xiticix don't even necessarily 'eat' at all. the young xiticix eat mush that is basically made out of PPE and people in order to speed up their growth, but even that isn't necessary as such, it just makes them grow faster. so destroying their food source is likely not an option; if the CS could do anything about the PPE levels on rifts earth, they would likely have already done it.

and the main problem with biological warfare remains the same. those small organisms that have a rapid population growth also have a more rapid mutation rate, and the ones that will be most likely to survive long enough to reproduce are the ones that can target a broader spectrum than just xiticix alone... meaning, there's a good chance this will bite them in the butt. even if it doesn't end up being a supervirus that slaughters humans (which is probably at least a number of mutations down the line, since at a guess insects are much closer to the xiticix biologically than humans), whatever it kills is likely to be something important, and the virus could then spread to other species and could eventually actually become a supervirus that kills humans.

releasing something as uncontrollable as a virus into the environment is generally not a very good idea unless you've got a largely impenetrable barrier in between you and the place you're releasing the virus... which is something the CS absolutely does not have.

Uh the bugs eat a mold that grows in their hives.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Zerebus wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:here is a cruel idea.

Step #1: Ward all exits/entrances into a Xiticix nest with magic that pervents undead from passing through the opening

Xiticix do not use Fire, or Silver or Wood weapons, so they will not be able to incapacitate or kill the vampires. While the vampire will tear apart the bugs by the score. The Vampires cannot feed on the bug men, or escape the Nest. After 3 weeks the vampire will go mad and attack the bugs almost non stop as long as it is awake. Now imagine several packs of 12-20 Wild vampires running around a nest of Xiticixs

One, that's a LOT of wards. Two, vampires are expert diggers in their own right and will be trying to dig their own way out soon enough.

Yes it is ALOT of wards, but they will be easier and alot safer to place then sending troops to kill queens ( you could just cast sactum in the Tunnel Vestibule in each of the Xiticic towers, each tower only has has one access to the underground nest), and yes vampires are good diggers but I don't think they can dig to fast through the MDC tunnel wall with hordes of bugs trying to kill them while they are doing it.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Uh the bugs eat a mold that grows in their hives.

Exactly, they do not need sludge to live but they do eat the glowing fugus that lives on the walls of the hive, it is their only food source. Apart from sludge they do not need PPE to live.

As for the parasite/virus mutating to effect humans; very unlikely because of the insect nature of the Xiticix. It's one thing for a virus to mutate from effecting birds or pigs to humans, but a jump from insects to humans is an entirely different thing and virtually unheard of. Same goes for a virus or parasite that eats the fungus that Xiticix eat.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

grandmaster z0b wrote:As for the parasite/virus mutating to effect humans; very unlikely because of the insect nature of the Xiticix. It's one thing for a virus to mutate from effecting birds or pigs to humans, but a jump from insects to humans is an entirely different thing and virtually unheard of.

Actually.. deer ticks.. (insects) carry. A disease which is highly comunicable to the human species.. its called Lime Disease... So to say its not possible, would be wrong.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:As for the parasite/virus mutating to effect humans; very unlikely because of the insect nature of the Xiticix. It's one thing for a virus to mutate from effecting birds or pigs to humans, but a jump from insects to humans is an entirely different thing and virtually unheard of.

Actually.. deer ticks.. (insects) carry. A disease which is highly comunicable to the human species.. its called Lime Disease... So to say its not possible, would be wrong.

big difference between carrying a disease and being the organism that the disease works on.

and regardless, wiping out all the insects is also not desirable (i'm not sure what impact all mosses being destroyed would have, but i doubt it would be good either). the impact of such a plague would be rather drastic. and it need not go straight from one to the other either.

basically, if you're trying to create a highly contagious disease that will wipe out an entire species (really, almost like several different species considering how different various types of xiticix are), you're presumably trying to make a disease that hits the widest spectrum possible. this is likely to be rather incompatible with the goal of the disease having a very narrow target group (though admittedly, i am not an expert in biology, and certainly not an expert in biological warfare).

it just seems really implausible that you're going to have some sort of super virus that is incredibly infectious and has a sufficiently devastating effect to wipe out a species... and then somehow expect that the disease is just going to stop there.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

That virus or disease is going to have to be pretty adaptive to take out a regenerative being like them and no telling what that super growth sludge will do to it when infected Pupae eat it.
I think narrowing it to just affect the Xiticix would help limit the possibility of any harmful mutation.

That fungus is not their only food source, it is their primary food source that is a big difference.
targeting their primary food source only causes an incredibly bigger problem as now you forced them to go out and look for food and with their numbers they are going to have to spread out quite a bit to collect enough.
This is listed in the last paragraph of the food section of the Xiticix book.
They can also eat fresh or rotting fruit, mushroom, lichen, and potatoes.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gamer wrote:I believe they turn you into Soylant sludge for their pupa to eat.

The introduction of a Xiticix specific parasite that ends up affecting the entire hive would be the route I'd go and it would be introduced via the Xiticix hunters.
The parasite would live in the Xiticix lungs and the parasite young would later be coughed up and end up getting passed on.
At a certain point of the parasites life cycle it would release a virus taylored to their genetic code.

Damn beat me to it. It's not sludge its PeOpLE!!!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mallak's Place wrote:here is a cruel idea.

Hmm I'm not sure, We may find that later the powers that be will declare that like horns Xiticix spines and resit weapons do damage as wood. Yeah I know that resin and wood or resin and horn/antler (same proteins as hair and nails) have absolutely nothing in common... oh wait, they're hard. :nh: :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

grandmaster z0b wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

but that just makes too much sense Zero...

:x are you accusing me of making sense :lol: hmm wonder if I should sig that :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

They are attracted to high concentrations of PPE though right? That is why they came here so their fungus grew better. So why not give them a better home? Granted only selfish or evil characters would agree to this. Open a temporal Rift to the PFRPG world. "Uh... Zer0, PFRPG is in the past its another dimension." Its a temporal Rift because you want to open the rift to the time of a thousand magic or near the War against the Old Ones.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

big difference between carrying a disease and being the organism that the disease works on.

and regardless, wiping out all the insects is also not desirable (i'm not sure what impact all mosses being destroyed would have, but i doubt it would be good either). the impact of such a plague would be rather drastic. and it need not go straight from one to the other either.

basically, if you're trying to create a highly contagious disease that will wipe out an entire species (really, almost like several different species considering how different various types of xiticix are), you're presumably trying to make a disease that hits the widest spectrum possible. this is likely to be rather incompatible with the goal of the disease having a very narrow target group (though admittedly, i am not an expert in biology, and certainly not an expert in biological warfare).

it just seems really implausible that you're going to have some sort of super virus that is incredibly infectious and has a sufficiently devastating effect to wipe out a species... and then somehow expect that the disease is just going to stop there.

Firstly, thanks for pointing out the difference between a disease carrier and being effected by the disease.

You may be correct that the disease may mutate from effecting Xiticix to another organism, but I think it would be likely to be another insect, which I don't think the CS would care about as long as it didn't target humans (which would be very unlikely). The only real problem would be if it moved to attack a useful insect such as bees and then the CS would have problems with pollinating their crops.

However if you read my first post you'll see that I didn't suggest a single super virus. I suggested a combination of viruses and parasites to attack the food source and then a different virus/parasite to attack the bugs themselves. Each virus/parasite can be very specifically tailored to a single species which is very common in nature.

Lastly whilst the Xiticix could move on from eating their fungus to something else, such a change would greatly curb their population growth. At the moment their population can grow exponentially because they have a stable food supply. Forcing them to gather food would definitely lead to either a population decline or at least a plateau.

Return to “Rifts®”