A Detailed Review of Mysteries of Magic

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cchopps
Adventurer

Re: A Detailed Review of Mysteries of Magic

Unread post by cchopps »

Mark Hall wrote:
Khanibal wrote:So, according to the rules, If I'm an 11th level wizard trying to invent a completely new 3rd level spell, my chance of success is 11 (for level since the spell isn't a variant or simply unknown existing spell, there are no other modfiers) - 3 (the level of the spell) for a whopping 8% chance to create my spell after a mere 105 months of work (average) or 8 3/4 years. Wow.
It's a good thing the gods invented all the spell, because at 45 yrs to get a 50/50 shot of creating a spell, humans certainly haven't crafted any.

Hunh for totally new 15th level spells, you'd have to be 16th level to have a 1% chance.

I'll stick to the Nightbane rules thank you.

A large number of modifiers were left off that table.

Mark, any chance they would print your more detailed version in the Rifter?

C. Chopps
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

It will be some time before I get the chance to peruse this book.....likely the next installment will be released before that happens, but, Im kinda curious......between dead reign and MoM, it sounds like what is turned in as a manuscript is almost nothing like what is finally released. Which makes me wonder, since everything I have heard about this book from Mark Hall sounds fairly amazing, and while I may not have used it all as verbatim, new information is food for thought, it helps spawn new ideas, and ways of seeing things. Why, cut it down to reprinted material from the main book? Whats the point? It just seems like there is still a hard line where nothing can be chaanged beyond, or added to, and yet, that seems to be what many fans are asking for.....or implemented on their own. I used a 1 attack per lowbie spell for the longest time, with what is considered lowbie increasing as you leveled, and the ability to spend more ppe to force something out faster, with a chance of other effects, long before I saw it mentioned elsewhere. I started with Rifts, it was my first RPG, but it just seems that somewhere along the way, the newer books started to lose a lot of their innovation, that made me buy so many of them, with what little money I could scrape together. I dont really have any interest in WB's anymore, because of this tendency, though I may be alone in this regard. I loved the 1st edition old ones book...........thought it was an amazing addition to my library. Ditto for adventure on the high seas....I just dunno=P
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

cchopps wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Khanibal wrote:So, according to the rules, If I'm an 11th level wizard trying to invent a completely new 3rd level spell, my chance of success is 11 (for level since the spell isn't a variant or simply unknown existing spell, there are no other modfiers) - 3 (the level of the spell) for a whopping 8% chance to create my spell after a mere 105 months of work (average) or 8 3/4 years. Wow.
It's a good thing the gods invented all the spell, because at 45 yrs to get a 50/50 shot of creating a spell, humans certainly haven't crafted any.

Hunh for totally new 15th level spells, you'd have to be 16th level to have a 1% chance.

I'll stick to the Nightbane rules thank you.

A large number of modifiers were left off that table.

Mark, any chance they would print your more detailed version in the Rifter?

C. Chopps

I have no idea.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

interesting question to a long ended post. but why can't a gnome be an alchemist. they can get the required stats without divine intervention or cheating. they can roll an extra die for the 1d6+6 ME stat as per the rules in the PF core book if their d6 roll is a 6 then its gets extra rolls like any other stat.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”