last weekly update, anyone notice

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DBX
Hero

last weekly update, anyone notice

Unread post by DBX »

what are people's thoughts on these. copy/paste from last weekly update

And that’s just some of the projects currently underway. Others include such words as Facebook, Antarctic, Megaversal Legion, Magic, Chaos Earth, Splice, Coalition Army, Zombies, Sovietski, T-Shirt, Comic, Perez, and Christmas.

if some are planned books then i am a bit disappointed that there still isn't a few books on Lazlo about to be released soon.

Coalition Army (possible book?) i like the sound of but what about a book on chitown fortress city as well.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Re: last weekly update, anyone notice

Unread post by runebeo »

Chi-Town, Ironheart, Lazlo & New Lazlo all need to get done, their major locations & cities. Build the keys locations they move on to fill in the rest of North America, while a book like Delta Blue maybe interesting but I'm pretty sure I can get by without. Who would pass up Chi-Town or Lazlo book? The two major cities of N.A. that have almost no real information on either. After Dimension Outbreak came out with info on Centre really got me wondering what Chi-Town section are really like and the information is just not there even after 20 years, whats the hold up?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I think that in order to have Chi-Town detail there needs a reason for PCs to adventure there. As it stands now, the interior of the fortress city is pretty much inaccessible to outsider with very few exceptions and unless there is something in there that you can't find anywhere else there is no reason to go through the trouble.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I still believe Lazlo should be kept deliberately vague, so as to allow individual GMs to paint it as they see fit. Just my two cents on that.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by anarchclown »

Giving usable hotspots that aren't necessarily the primary buildings of the setting is a lot of help though and in general saying that only hinting at things rather than doing them for real is good games design is kind of like saying that bands that only play chords and don't do solos or harmonies are inherently better than bands that do. Game designers are paid to create things. Those that buy those games are free to use said things as they like. What they generally do not apprieciate (just speaking from the experience of the people I have talked to about this through the years) is setting things in stone without fleshing them out. Meaning they decide how society works, tell all the easily made details and leave the rest of the fleshing out to the individual gamemaster. I would rather have almost no description than half assed descriptions. Thankfully Rifts and Palladium in general either give quite a lot of detail, (Like in the book Eastern Territories for paladium for example or the early stats for Ciudad Juares and El Paso in Vampire Kingdoms) or almost no detail (like in Rifts Warlords of and Mystic Russia).

My point is that if you describe something, do it thoroughly or leave it the hell alone. Saying that not describing things is good game design because it leaves it up to the gamemaster is silly because everything is up to the gamemaster with or without the description. When you buy a book you do it exactly because you do want someone to have done the work for you. If you did not then you didn't really need the book in the first place. With that said I vote against Lazlo and Chi Town books. There are far more pressing matters on Rifts Earth to attend to. Like another book or two on Africa and possibly revised and ruleswise fixed books on South America that makes them into cool places to go instead of the Pariahs of the Rifts setting.

Edit: With that said. Some of the things mentioned in the original post does make me very happy.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Theres nothing to fix in South America it was a little ahead of its time, now the power level has risen enough to make them on par with the newer books.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

Not really. They are still completly insane.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

DBX wrote:what are people's thoughts on these. copy/paste from last weekly update

And that’s just some of the projects currently underway. Others include such words as Facebook, Antarctic, Megaversal Legion, Magic, Chaos Earth, Splice, Coalition Army, Zombies, Sovietski, T-Shirt, Comic, Perez, and Christmas.

if some are planned books then i am a bit disappointed that there still isn't a few books on Lazlo about to be released soon.

Coalition Army (possible book?) i like the sound of but what about a book on chitown fortress city as well.

Um......That is a lot of stuff that was never even hinted at not long ago while there are some things that are not seeming to be on the front burner anymore....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

DBX wrote:And that’s just some of the projects currently underway. Others include such words as Facebook, Antarctic, Megaversal Legion, Magic, Chaos Earth, Splice, Coalition Army, Zombies, Sovietski, T-Shirt, Comic, Perez, and Christmas.

I will also mention that I would like to see a book on Lazlo, Chi-Town and Northern Gun. The only one in the above list that interest me are the ones on the CS army and the Megaversal legion. As long as the one on the legion is not a retconnong or rewrite to nerf them I am fine with. If not I am not going to buy it. The Anatarctic book imo si not a priority by any means. Certainly should not come out before Lazl0 or a book on the CS.

anarchclown wrote:Not really. They are still completly insane.

The only reason the two South america books are considered munchkin is because when Rifts was imo first created the damage values were heavily slanted in favor of the player characters surviving. So much so that the damage values on some machines are just ridiculuus. Carella wrote the damage values as they should have been from the start. So the guy in the plasti-man armor armed with a wilks 1D6 psitol who is dumb enough to charge a tank now gets splattered as it should be rather than having a decent chance of surviving.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

DBX wrote:what are people's thoughts on these. copy/paste from last weekly update

Well Brandon is doing the Sovietski book, and Jason is working on Chaos Earth books...looking forward to those products. Those have been planned for quite a while.

"Coalition Army" and "Megaversal Legion" could both be interesting, depending on what the product actually is.

Don't care about the rest.

As far as Lazlo goes, I'd just use the description and map for Tolkeen from SoT book 6 - might as well get some use out of it.

And we did a Northern Gun Netbook at Nexus Nine a few years back, so I'm good there too.
Sureshot
Champion

Dustin Fireblade wrote:.

And we did a Northern Gun Netbook at Nexus Nine a few years back, so I'm good there too.

I cannot understand why they don't use it. They should edit what needs to be edited and publish it imo.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Sureshot wrote:
DBX wrote:And that’s just some of the projects currently underway. Others include such words as Facebook, Antarctic, Megaversal Legion, Magic, Chaos Earth, Splice, Coalition Army, Zombies, Sovietski, T-Shirt, Comic, Perez, and Christmas.

I will also mention that I would like to see a book on Lazlo, Chi-Town and Northern Gun. The only one in the above list that interest me are the ones on the CS army and the Megaversal legion. As long as the one on the legion is not a retconnong or rewrite to nerf them I am fine with. If not I am not going to buy it. The Anatarctic book imo si not a priority by any means. Certainly should not come out before Lazl0 or a book on the CS.

anarchclown wrote:Not really. They are still completly insane.

The only reason the two South america books are considered munchkin is because when Rifts was imo first created the damage values were heavily slanted in favor of the player characters surviving. So much so that the damage values on some machines are just ridiculuus. Carella wrote the damage values as they should have been from the start. So the guy in the plasti-man armor armed with a wilks 1D6 psitol who is dumb enough to charge a tank now gets splattered as it should be rather than having a decent chance of surviving.

I agree with you on South America!
They can make a Rifts book on Antarctic, but I doubt I'd ever buy it. Megaversal Legion would be fine with me yet their fairly well covered for my liking already. Chaos Earth has been lack-lustered so far other than the cool new demons. Splicers I love but other than the stuff in Rifter 50 its been painful wait for new product. Coalition Army well its nearly everyones main bad guys so lets see whats new with the Dead Boys. Zombies playing it and were well over it now. Sovietski I like the idea as they were not that well covered before, I think it will mix well with Triax 2 setting. Palladium needs a steady cash flow then start doing books that are pretty auto-buy books Lazlo, Chi-Town, Merc-Ops 2, a Shifter's Demon guide to the Megaverse or something that really fans want. I'm not interested in isolated areas with no impact on the rest of the world or books with little replay value.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Once the Facebook page goes up, I'll Friend it.
I'm looking forward to all the Rifts books, except for the Vampire Kingdoms reprint & update. I can't afford it, so I'll just get the Vampire Sourcebook.
Glad to hear Kev's Dad is in good spirirts. :D
As for the Trion said in the lawsuit....next convention, invide some of the Trion guys down to your booth. Let's see their reaction after that.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

Really to make a gazillion M.D.C. mutants, crazies, amazons etc and one mutant that has a force field for an I.S.P. to M.D.C. exchange rate of 10 to 150 at level one is doing it like it was supposed to be? Someone with a blast ability that has no limit or cap but just does 1D6 per P.P.E. for as many P.P.E. as the character has is as it's supposed to be. He raised the weapon damage by about 30% and he invented new armor that could take about 25% more damage. I'd say it was just unnecessary power creep from someone that has a lot of talent when it comes to writing settings and really shouldn't be doing the anything that has anything to do with game balance. Some of the actual ideas in the books are pretty cool though.

For the record. I agree on the damage values for big guns back in the early days. It was the hand held weapons that went from 4D6 (possibly 6D6 with a plasma cannon) to 2D4x10 in a few modules that irked me. (Not all CJ Carellas fault mind you as the K-4 in Atlantis 2 was the beginning of the slide IMO. Even though it was supposed to be extremly advanced and better than anything that could be made on earth. Except for every weapon in south america and Mercenaries and Underseas that is).

Now where did you get what Trion said in the lawsuit Book Wyrm?
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

anarchclown wrote: Now where did you get what Trion said in the lawsuit Book Wyrm?

It was posted in the weekly update and has been mentioned before.

It’s public information within the documents of the Rifts® Trademark lawsuit. Trion Worlds says the Rifts® RPG is:

“... an outdated pen and paper game that might have been popular in the early 1990s ...”
And,
“As time has gone on, Palladium Books’ games have become less relevant...”
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Sureshot wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:.

I cannot understand why they don't use it. They should edit what needs to be edited and publish it imo.

Thanks, we appreciate it.
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah as if the deal with Jerry Bruckheimer and the fact that it is a trademark doesn't matter anymore. Hey I could make a cartoon about a guy called Mike Mouse since Disney doesn't make that many about him anymore and it's kind of outdated. Lets see if I get the right to continue publishing? Of course I am preaching to the choir I suppose?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

anarchclown wrote:Yeah as if the deal with Jerry Bruckheimer and the fact that it is a trademark doesn't matter anymore. Hey I could make a cartoon about a guy called Mike Mouse since Disney doesn't make that many about him anymore and it's kind of outdated. Lets see if I get the right to continue publishing? Of course I am preaching to the choir I suppose?

Actually that may be a bad example because I beleive Mickey Mouse is now in the public domain to some degree...... :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

Ok. Very well. Lets use New Gods from DC Comics instead. :)
Sureshot
Champion

It's not that I do not want to see a book on Anatarctica. I just think that know with the court case and with the company still in finanical troubel they need to be focusing on books that are sure sellers. Rather than more experimental books and vanity projects. Once and if they win the court case than do that.

Enlightened Grognard

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sureshot wrote:It's not that I do not want to see a book on Anatarctica. I just think that know with the court case and with the company still in finanical troubel they need to be focusing on books that are sure sellers. Rather than more experimental books and vanity projects. Once and if they win the court case than do that.

UEEF Marines? BTS2 Supplements? Vampire sourcebook? Megaverse in Flames? Armageddon Unlimited? Lets get the primary Minion war stuff done.

As nice as it will be for the people that bought the save palladium print to be in a book, is Heroes of the Megaverse worth all the time and effort right now?

\m/
anarchclown
Dungeon Crawler

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I have no statistics to back it up but I am guessing that Triax 2 sold more than any individual Minion Wars book (that said from a guy that loves the Minion Wars). Triax 2 is a book about something that has (seemingly) almost nothing to do with the main setting of North America or the Minion Wars. It's just that some people like different settings. I'm sure, as much as I have bashed South America as a setting there are some people that love that setting and would want nothing more than a South America 3 and 4. I think that Palladium releases whatever product that they actually have in the pipeline hoping it will do well.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

anarchclown wrote: think that Palladium releases whatever product that they actually have in the pipeline hoping it will do well.

I hope the previously mentioned freelancer get-together happens next year and an unofficial schedule/timeline of books release dates is at least agreed upon.

hopefully this will give some much needed loving to highly anticipated/requested books, continuity of storylines and books related/interconnected where possible
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I want the CS Chitown book for one reason ... to Play CS characters inside the City.
Lazlo is sooooo needed its not funny either. These books were suppose to be done years ago back in the 1990s.

Megaversal Legion book sounds interesting indeed. I loved their SA2 info and want more on them. New megaversal Cyborgs would be great.

Splicers ... want want want want want this one badly. The Splice must Flow.

Solvetski sourcebook is interesting too. I want it. Specially if we get new Cyborgs. I want new Cyborgs.

Dont know what Delta Blue is supose to be about except the Swamps of Loisiana area. What i barely remember of what was talked about kinda bored me to be honest. We need for info on the book before i'll care about it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Elthbert
Hero

Unread post by Elthbert »

TechnoGothic wrote:I want the CS Chitown book for one reason ... to Play CS characters inside the City.
Lazlo is sooooo needed its not funny either. These books were suppose to be done years ago back in the 1990s.

Megaversal Legion book sounds interesting indeed. I loved their SA2 info and want more on them. New megaversal Cyborgs would be great.

Splicers ... want want want want want this one badly. The Splice must Flow.

Solvetski sourcebook is interesting too. I want it. Specially if we get new Cyborgs. I want new Cyborgs.

Dont know what Delta Blue is supose to be about except the Swamps of Loisiana area. What i barely remember of what was talked about kinda bored me to be honest. We need for info on the book before i'll care about it.

funny becuase xcepting chi-town something on the mississippi delta would be the most interesting to me of any of those books.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Sureshot wrote:It's not that I do not want to see a book on Anatarctica. I just think that know with the court case and with the company still in finanical troubel they need to be focusing on books that are sure sellers. Rather than more experimental books and vanity projects. Once and if they win the court case than do that.

I agree with you here. They need to work on books that will be money makers. That was one of my biggest motivations for working on Triax 2. As for the Sovietski book, I pretty much lump it in there. Big Russian Cyborgs will pretty much get everyones attention while still working towards my goal of making Europe more playable.

DBX wrote:Facebook, Antarctic, Megaversal Legion, Magic, Chaos Earth, Splice, Coalition Army, Zombies, Sovietski, T-Shirt, Comic, Perez, and Christmas.
l.

Here is what I can say that is public knowledge from these forums:
Facebook: Palladium is working on Facebook games.
Antarctic: No Clue
Megaversal Legion: No Clue
Magic: Either Mysteries of Magic additional books or the log awaited federation of Magic 2
Chaos Earth: Jason Richards and Taylor White have both mentioned working on books
Splice: Chuck Walton and Chris Kluge have been working on this and have mentioned in the Splicers Forums to be very close
Coalition Army: No idea. Intriguing
Zombies: More dead reign? I hope
Sovietski: badass Sovietski are badass
T-Shirt: no clue
Comic: No Clue
Perez: No Clue...but potential awesomesauce
Christmas: Christmas in July Grab bags?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Rifts®”