So I had several total noobs start playing rifts. GM opinion

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Elthbert
Hero

So I had several total noobs start playing rifts. GM opinion

Unread post by Elthbert »

GM opinions wanted.

As A way to introduce them I had them make basic approximentations of themselves with a differant history. My experianced player I allowed to play a character she never really got to play much in the past and is reasonably low powered. So we role played thier arrival on Rifts earth as they were going to a oil exploration confrence.... it matters not, they got to Rifts earth, were taken in by some decent people and have now got some MDC equipment. I have had them using the vagabond xp char, question, how difficult should I make it for them to pick up hand to hand skills, should I require formal training, or just lettehm pick it up as they advance to second level ( they should have advanced last session but I didn't tell them to? How about letting them take a Rifts appropriate OCC, should I make them take two classes? 1st level vagabond 1st level whatever?
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: So I had several total noobs start playing rifts. GM opinion

Unread post by keir451 »

For hand to hand skills, definetly require that they do it as "in game training" and if they want ot multi-class I reccommend transferring their stats to another sheet and effectively starting a new character as there is the whole "previous class is frozen" deal.
New skills for "non-Rifts OCCs" are listed in the conversion book.(Just in case info, y'know).
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Newbie is a new player, a noob is a deragatory term refering to ones utter lack of skill reguardless of their experience.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Elthbert
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:Newbie is a new player, a noob is a deragatory term refering to ones utter lack of skill reguardless of their experience.

well you might make that distinction, but you are the only one I have ever known to do it. The dictionary of american slang makes no such distinction, nor have ever met anyone else that did.

Newbie or noob
someone who is new to a group, place, activity, etc. (The opposite of oldbie.) : I'm just a newbie, but I do have a question for the group. , Will you noobs ever learn to read the FAQ?

We have traditionally called them FNG's.
Elthbert
Hero

Any other comments of the meat of my post? I anyone have a differing opinion?
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

I make that distinction as well, but then it's based more on intelligence and ability.

And yeah, we use the term FNG sometimes too. :P

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Elthbert wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Newbie is a new player, a noob is a deragatory term refering to ones utter lack of skill reguardless of their experience.

well you might make that distinction, but you are the only one I have ever known to do it. The dictionary of american slang makes no such distinction, nor have ever met anyone else that did.

Newbie or noob
someone who is new to a group, place, activity, etc. (The opposite of oldbie.) : I'm just a newbie, but I do have a question for the group. , Will you noobs ever learn to read the FAQ?

Met anyone? Well you can't meet them but how about 12,819 people?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tearstone wrote:I make that distinction as well, but then it's based more on intelligence and ability.

And yeah, we use the term FNG sometimes too. :P

All's good until the PFM smoke come out of the computer... can never find a damn smoke packer. :D
Elthbert
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Elthbert wrote:

Newbie or noob

Met anyone? Well you can't meet them but how about 12,819 people?

Yup know lots of people never seen that distinction before. After thinking about it, I think that, in my experiance, the dictionary example is pretty spot on, people tend to self discribe as a newbie and others discribe them as the noob.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yeah but they're only a noob if they never learn. Anyway... I think it is an interesting idea to do the dual class. Don't make them pick right off, potentially getting to a higher level of vagabond before they finally pick their OCC. Don't forget to make use of their soap and candy in their equipment list. :D
Elthbert
Hero

[quote="Zer0 Kay"]Yeah but they're only a noob if they never learn. Anyway... I think it is an interesting idea to do the dual class. Don't make them pick right off, potentially getting to a higher level of vagabond before they finally pick their OCC. Don't forget to make use of their soap and candy in their equipment list. :D[/quote]

well they have expressed interest in it. So I think I might let them, with limitations.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Elthbert wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Yeah but they're only a noob if they never learn. Anyway... I think it is an interesting idea to do the dual class. Don't make them pick right off, potentially getting to a higher level of vagabond before they finally pick their OCC. Don't forget to make use of their soap and candy in their equipment list. :D

well they have expressed interest in it. So I think I might let them, with limitations.

When I started up I only let them choose OCCs from the books we were in and if I introduced a new book and they managed to die a heroic death I'd let them pick from the new stuff.

Return to “Rifts®”