Magic Industrialization

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grimmhold
D-Bee

Magic Industrialization

Unread post by grimmhold »

Just wondering what you guys/gals thought about a technowizard creating a magic device that creates or instills one specific magic power. I would say once created the device will install that one specific power on a specific type of equipment, such as a cloak or armor. All one would have to do is have the ppe to enchant/whatever you want to call it, and it can be used by anyone without having to know a specific power, or even being a trained technowizard. An example would be for a one to always impart lets say, see the invisible, every time the ppe price is paid on a ring for example. That would eliminate the need for technowizards to spend countless hours producing magic devices. Thanks again.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Magic Industrialization

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Abub wrote:Back before the release of the CWC series of books I was running a Tolkien based game. And in my champagne Tolkien was pass producing tecnowizard weapons and also a line of magic "Rune Weapon-esque" modern guns (basically just guns with magic "To Strike" bonuses).

Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about something 'a la' Movie Tony Stark's lab with its ability to auto-produce Iron Man suits for him.

Does the high lighted suppose to be 'mass producing'?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

It is certainly possible with current TW devices in cannon. Use the massive PPE generators detailed in the UWW ships combine that with your standard assembly line with a few TW tweaks in order to construct specific devices and bang, you've got TW equipment mass produced.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

grimmhold wrote:Just wondering what you guys/gals thought about a technowizard creating a magic device that creates or instills one specific magic power. I would say once created the device will install that one specific power on a specific type of equipment, such as a cloak or armor. All one would have to do is have the ppe to enchant/whatever you want to call it, and it can be used by anyone without having to know a specific power, or even being a trained technowizard. An example would be for a one to always impart lets say, see the invisible, every time the ppe price is paid on a ring for example. That would eliminate the need for technowizards to spend countless hours producing magic devices. Thanks again.

So basically you want techno wizards to stop being techno-wizards...why, exsactly?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

For the whole paying a ppe price when a TW makes something, he could set up shop on a ley line or at a nexus point (like in Tolkeen, before it fell, or Lazlo I would presume). As for making the process quicker, you can utilize one non-Techno Wizard for every other level the Techno Wizard has, and each assistant provides a 5% reduction in Construction Time. The maximum number of assistants that I a Techno Wizard can have is 7, for a max of 35% reduction in time, which can be really helpful in time consuming endeavors.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
grimmhold wrote:Just wondering what you guys/gals thought about a technowizard creating a magic device that creates or instills one specific magic power. I would say once created the device will install that one specific power on a specific type of equipment, such as a cloak or armor. All one would have to do is have the ppe to enchant/whatever you want to call it, and it can be used by anyone without having to know a specific power, or even being a trained technowizard. An example would be for a one to always impart lets say, see the invisible, every time the ppe price is paid on a ring for example. That would eliminate the need for technowizards to spend countless hours producing magic devices. Thanks again.

So basically you want techno wizards to stop being techno-wizards...why, exsactly?
What she said, and the basic concept applies to more than just Techno-Wizards.
The time and bother and expense of it all is SUPPOSED to be an insurmountable "price" to choosing the TW O.C.C. That's part of what gives the OCC its flavor.

(And on an in-game note: You can't mass-produce Magic Scrolls, either, so why would one think that mass-producing whole complex TW devices would be any easier??)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Once a TW item has been created and there are plans for it, I see no reason why the major components couldn't be prodused en'mass to cut down on build time. Though a TW would have to do the enchanting himself.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:Once a TW item has been created and there are plans for it, I see no reason why the major components couldn't be prodused en'mass to cut down on build time. Though a TW would have to do the enchanting himself.
The "major components" are ALREADY mass-produced (Raw metal for the item, precious stones, wires, etc).

However, Techno-Wizardy production, in canon, STRONGLY implies that there is more to making a TW item than just slapping the parts together and then uttering some mumbo-jumbo over a pre-assembled device, just as you can't go over to a bunch of pre-written Magic Scrolls and say "abra-cadabra!" and pump P.P.E. into them to activate them. Or the way that you can't just have a bunch of ready-made Zombies or Golems on standby awaiting you putting a few words and pumping in some P.P.E/I.S.P/Hit Points.

From inside of the Game, there is an undefined "supernatural something," unrelated to the physical components of the TW item, that forces everyone from Splynn to Stormspire to Dweomer to Lazlo to painstakingly and slowly build the things.

In the real world, "overall pain in the arse" and "time-consuming" and "damned expensive" are the prices that you have to pay to choose the Techno-Wizard O.C.C.

Making TW gear something that you can crank out en masse and at will in a factory is as anathema to the concept of tradeoffs in Rifts/Palladium as a Glitter Boy with an infinite drum of Boom Gun ammo, or a Crazy without insanities.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

In our game a TW device using custom designed mass produced parts still takes half the time to make the item. It takes time to properly invest a item with the ability to channel magic, and this can only be done by hand. The making of a TW device is like a Ritual, TW Plans are like instructions on how to perform that ritual, a mixture of technical and magic knowlege.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The main advantage of technology over magic is mass production.
The main advantage of magic over technology is power and versatility.

The world of Rifts is best if things are kept this way.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The main advantage of technology over magic is mass production.
The main advantage of magic over technology is power and versatility.

The world of Rifts is best if things are kept this way.
agreed
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Exsactly. the UUW just has around 20 billion techno-wizards. They can make a whole lotta stuff.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Personally, the way I handle TW Manufactuers like Tolkeen, Stormspire and Magefire is that ordinary humans can assisst and aid in the design and construction of techno-wizard devices, but it requires the person know both the principles of magic skill and the appropriate engineering skills as well as basic electronics. They can do the actual crafting of the device, but ultimately a genuine techno wizard has to do the final enchantments.

Similarly, Mages who are interested are also highly valued, not only do they cut a lot of the training time down as they don't have to teach a non-mage the principles of magic, but it expands the potential designs as it's well established that Techno-wizards don't have to know the spells that go into it, but are required for the final imuement of the device with the spell.

So a Techno-Wizard foundry, in my games, much resembles a mideval guild and workshop. You have ordinay humans and apprentice techno-wizards actually construct and build the devices mostly with a one techno-wizard journyman supervising the construction of many projects at once. For established models, the assembly is largely with premade parts that just have to be installed with the approriate systems and gemstones. After a lot of them are ready, the actual Techno-wizards and any assissting mages begin the process of enchanting them with custom-made rituals that imbue a large number of items at once and cost a lot of PPE.

The end result is one TW Foundy being able to produce thousands of devices a month though basic assembly line process, and a city like stormspire will have many foundries.

That's for established models like TK Firebolt pistols. For custom jobs it requires the full attention of a Techno-wizard and a number of his apprentices to build it and part of the guild floor to construct it. It takes longer as they have to go though many experiments to get it right, and all that's time they could be using to do something else. Concequently unique TW devices are quite expensive in my games but aquireable in any major TW City.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”