Would you buy ...?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would you buy this book?

Yes: Great idea! I'd love to own a copy! Why isn't it out already?!
32%
Yes: I'll buy anything for the Palladium Fantasy line! No questions asked.
11%
Yes: I support Palladium Books, regardless of setting. May Palladium live forever!
5%
Maybe: I'd probably wait for some reviews before making my decision.
11%
Maybe: I'd prefer a larger page count for my money. We'll see how much cash I have when it comes out.
11%
Maybe: It would require more crunch/toys (O.C.C., R.C.C., weapons, etc.).
8%
No: I would've before, but I stopped buying PF due to lack of support.
5%
No: Not really my type of thing. Probably better off as a Rifter article or something.
14%
No: Bad idea. I just can't see an interest in this type of thing. *Shrug.*
No votes
Other: Please explain in a post.
3%

Total votes: 37

Prysus
Champion

Would you buy ...?

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Various things have been kicking around in my head, and apparently I can't sleep. So maybe I'm a bit sleep deprived to be doing this. Anyways, I want to ask everyone here a question.

If Palladium put out a book about Cultures of the Palladium World, would you buy it? The book would be somewhere between a 48 or 64 page sourcebook. The table of contents would look something like:

Book I: Surface Dwellers
Chapter 1: Elves
1. The Wild Huntress O.C.C.
2. Woodland Magic
3. Spirit Animals
Chapter 2: Orcs, Goblins, and Hob-Goblins (Reference only)
Chapter 3: Lizard Men (Reference only)

Book II: Subterranean Races
Chapter 1: Dwarves
1. Metal Warlock O.C.C.
2. Elemental Magic: Metal
Chapter 2: Gnomes
1. Oversized Weapons
2. Gnome Fury R.C.C.
3. True Fury R.C.C. (Variant)
4. Sin Spiders
Chapter 3: Troglodytes (Reference only)

Book III: The Giants
Chapter 1: Wolfen (Reference only)
Chapter 2: Ogres
Chapter 3: Trolls
Chapter 4: Rahu-Men (Reference only)

Book IV: Creatures of Magic and Supernatural Beings
Chapter 1: Changelings
1. The Changeling Metamorph P.C.C./R.C.C. (Reference only)
2. Glow Tattoos
Chapter 2: Gargoyles (Reference only)
Chapter 3: Dragons

Note 1: This would only be one book, not four. The "Book" in the table of contents was just a term I used for separating sections.

Note 2: Anything that says "Reference only" is contained within a Rifter or another World Book, but not the main book. It would be up to Palladium to include a version of it or not.

Note 3: I'm not talking about putting out an unofficial book. This is if Palladium published the book would you by it.

I tried to include several options. Try to pick the option that you think fits best. My main motivation right now is just to see what kind of market something like this would have. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Would you buy ...?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would love to have more PF books, but is currently on a buying hiaduse due to economics.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I wouldnt like to see a book on races no. i would like to see more on the races but in seperate "Land" books to associate with living conditions and tribes, not the other way round.

If the world was "complete" so to speak then this would be a maybe afterwards.

It went from a "maybe" to a "no" because PF elves aren't woodelves and I didn't like the woodland magic idea.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Dark Elf wrote:It went from a "maybe" to a "no" because PF elves aren't woodelves and I didn't like the woodland magic idea.

:lol:

Greetings and Salutations. I actually like your reason for going with a "no." I don't like the mentality that people associate with elves naturally being woodelves either. :D It's actually the reason I disliked the Zodiac Mages in Rifter 50 being considered official (because it mentions all elves have a bond with nature). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. For note, the woodland magic listed here is actually connected to the Wild Huntress (a specific O.C.C.), which is actually based on the Wild Hunt of legends. Anyways, just wanted to say glad someone else has that type of feelings on elves (which I find the minority most times). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

P.S. Other information being noted and processed.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Prysus wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:It went from a "maybe" to a "no" because PF elves aren't woodelves and I didn't like the woodland magic idea.

:lol:

Greetings and Salutations. I actually like your reason for going with a "no." I don't like the mentality that people associate with elves naturally being woodelves either. :D It's actually the reason I disliked the Zodiac Mages in Rifter 50 being considered official (because it mentions all elves have a bond with nature). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. For note, the woodland magic listed here is actually connected to the Wild Huntress (a specific O.C.C.), which is actually based on the Wild Hunt of legends. Anyways, just wanted to say glad someone else has that type of feelings on elves (which I find the minority most times). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

P.S. Other information being noted and processed.

Yeh, I voted "no" but its wasnt a "never do the book" no. Any info on the races is welcomed and if it is the next book to come out I would buy it ofc. - So it's nearly a yes, nearly a maybe but ended as a no. Need to explain that.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. For the record, everything I just displayed here has already been written by me (except the stuff that says "reference only"). I wrote it as a Rifter 0.1 article (though canceled by Prince Artemis the electronic Rifter project may yet see life, and waiting for that final verdict). Nothing said here can discourage me from doing the work since it's already done. Personally, I see it as ideal for a Rifter type project. With that said, if the Rifter 0.1 does die I'm debating what I'll do with the work. In my honest opinion, I don't think Palladium would be interested in printing such a book (not enough crunch for them), and they'd be wary of sales.

As a personal curiosity, I wanted to see fan interest. That's why I started this poll (for note, I am not voting on this myself). Right now it seems like if this book saw print people would probably buy it, but primarily because it's a PF book and not because of the content itself. Don't worry, I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their view or anything like that (convincing someone to change their mind would defeat the point of the poll in the first place!). I'm not really offended or surprised by the results so far, because I didn't really think the idea would do great as a stand alone concept. I wanted to see if I was wrong, nothing more.

For liking your reason for saying no, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the concept that all elves are a bunch of tree loving hippies. Sadly, most other people I know take that stance more often than not and make elves nature spirits of some type who have to wield a bow because all elves wield a bow. *Rolls eyes.* Anyways, that's not really the point. I just wanted to express my joy I wasn't alone in that way of thinking. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

I voted yes because it's PFRPG. That being said, it would definately be one that I would probably keep for content if well written. Frankly, whenever there's more information on dwarves and gnomes, I'm happy, as Elves always get the hype.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Greetings! I would LOVE more info on the Races/Cultures.of Palladium World! My group actually NEEDS this sort of stuff A LOT MORE THAN A NEW MAGIC SPELL/ITEM OR RACE!
Let's have a good look at the Cultures that already exist.
I want to read about the traditions of Marriage amoung the known Races and Cultures/Kingdoms. I want to read about how the Eastern Kingdom typically handles day-to-day Laws. What is the standard TAX rate in the Western Kingdom? How many Holy Days are there in the Church of Dragonwright?
These are the things that we wish to know!
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Runeslinger
D-Bee

Unread post by Runeslinger »

I voted maybe, although I really do like the idea. In my case, much like you and The Dark Elf disliking a specific view of elves (a dislike of tree-hugging elves which I share, by the way), I find that one of the things that I enjoy developing on my own are the cultures and customs of the species I choose to include in my campaigns. Therefore, for me to consider books (splat books) on cultures/groups, they have to be dynamite.

If someone wants to plot out street and town maps and fill them with businesses and some random NPCs then that sort of product I will buy without question as it will definitely save me time, and not put players' noses out of joint when I make changes for setting or story reasons.
___
Runeslinger
It doesn't matter that it has all been said before...
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I think something like this would be cool, though my viewpoints may clash with what I can draw from the contents, I'm not sure if you just slapped something up for sake of example, or how much pre-existing detail you have for it all, but it's just a different cup of tea. Knowing me, published by PB, I'd probably pick it up pretty fast. It may be better suited due to it's smaller nature as a Rifter addition, or condensed into a single, larger, book.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Prysus wrote:Book II: Subterranean Races
Chapter 1: Dwarves
1. Metal Warlock O.C.C.
2. Elemental Magic: Metal
Chapter 2: Gnomes
1. Oversized Weapons
2. Gnome Fury R.C.C.
3. True Fury R.C.C. (Variant)
4. Sin Spiders
Chapter 3: Troglodytes (Reference only)

Actually, the last I spoke to Kev about PF, the Dwarves where his next plan for the setting. My proposal for the Tombs of Gersidi almost stepped on his ideas a bit, so he had to give me a boundary not to cross.

Of course, when economic times are better for the company, as right not it's still a struggle to stay afloat.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Actually, the last I spoke to Kev about PF, the Dwarves where his next plan for the setting. My proposal for the Tombs of Gersidi almost stepped on his ideas a bit, so he had to give me a boundary not to cross.

Of course, when economic times are better for the company, as right not it's still a struggle to stay afloat.

-Mike <8]

Greetings and Salutations. Actually, I kind of already suspected this. I believe he mentioned something like this at the Open House, or maybe on the podcast (I can't remember where). When I heard him mention it, the dwarves are something he was thinking about doing for one (or maybe only) Old Kingdom Books because so far they haven't really been touched on. When I heard it I kind of face palmed. With that said, I completed and submitted (to the Rifter 0.1) the project over a year ago (and had it more or less done a few years before that). I still see this more as a Rifter project than anything. I don't think that'll step on any toes since none of it is official. But I do appreciate the warning and advice. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i agree with a little of what both GaredBattlespike and The Dark Elf said. i would like to see the world books released first (mainly because i fear the 'world' will never be finished, and if anything, i want that the most). but i would love to see some detailed info on the cultures and habits of the different races as well. what holidays and festivals occur around the world? how/when do people celebrate them (do/eat/wear etc)? how are different societies organized? in the main book it says orcs are good parents and have strong families...that always intrigued me due to the fantasy stereotype that orcs are pretty much mindless fighting machines. i would like to know more about them. im less interested in new occs and weapons at this point, though they dont hurt, especially when put into context with the subject at hand...like a gnome herbalist (like a special version of the rifts herbalist), or an orc fighter class that specializes in protecting the tribe against slavers (like a ranger variation or something), or a dwarven smith (the ones capable of making + weapons and armor).
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Palladium Fantasy needed Race Cultures books years ago to be honest.
I want to know more about the PF-versions of these races and their cultures.
Each Book should focus on One Race. Each book needs to be 100+pages to do them justice. Why ? Because each Race may have more than one sub-culture due to location in Palladia.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. For the record, with the Rifter 0.1 project up and running again (with finalizations being aimed for the end of April, and with legal formalities of Palladium thereafter), hopefully this will be out by May or June. The article was some 80+ pages when I finished it (mind you, at least half of that was O.C.C. and spell descriptions). While I still encourage anyone to continue with their thoughts, if anyone is curious to my takes on them and/or don't want to do the work themselves, then I highly suggest picking up Rifter 0.1 when it's released. Also, proceeds will go to helping Alex Marciniszyn whose family home had burned down, so that should be added motivation to pick it up. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

P.S. For those who don't know what the Rifter 0.1 project is, the Rifter 0.1 is an entirely volunteer project and will be an electronic version of the Rifter (a sequel/follow-up to Rifter 0). If you wish for more information, feel free to check out the Rifter X.X subforum of The Rifter forum.

pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Awesome.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

amodernheathen wrote:Elves being Sidhe is a bit overdone, I agree. However, concerning Dwarves. Didn't Dwarves forswear magic? And arent they punished for using magic by termination with extreme prejudice? Thought I read that somewhere.

Greetings and Salutations. I agree with the elf thing as well. The "Nature Magic" is a very small group, and it's tied to actual legends of the Wild Hunt (with my own take). That's not something elves (as a rule) would know.

Dwarves have indeed foresaken magic. In the Witch O.C.C. it mentions if a dwarf becomes a witch they'll be hunted down like an inhuman monster. If you're thinking about the "Metal Warlock" I assure you that it's not designed for dwarven use, but it does have ties to dwarves (if that makes sense).

Anyways, I only address these points in the hopes to ease fears. I read the write-ups in the main book many times (and a few looks at other sources) to try and keep them faithful to the Palladium design as possible, and put my own flavor into them. I haven't ever played D&D (or any other setting) so there are no influences from there. As an individual I actually dislike stereotypes (but as pre-existing races that can't be avoided entirely either). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

amodernheathen wrote:However, concerning Dwarves. Didn't Dwarves forswear magic? And arent they punished for using magic by termination with extreme prejudice? Thought I read that somewhere.

There is also mention of a dwarf who who is master at one of the magical arts in one of the PF books. I'll let people speculate as to which & where...

There's no boundaries physically or mentally it's a choice for them based on culture and fear.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Weeeell

Any new information on the cultures of the various people in Palladium would be greatly welcome in my group and I would buy such a book as soon as my meager finances allowed.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

I would like the rest of the world covered first, like the previous books, with maps and city info make a great book.

As for information on Dragon, I really wish they would get there own book, and make it magaveral since they are a real big part of the multiverse.
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

"Dragons and Gods half the books got Dragons the other half has gods."

And thus both subjects got lame coverage. I want stuff like origin and history. More on the ones in the world. A cleaner system than the half-baked one out there for them.

They and the gods got ripped off
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Dragons are creatures of magic that have been around since the time of the old ones, The dragons are every dragon that can be found in the palladium world. Dragons being creatures of magic can travel across the dimensional fabric.

And that statement covers all the meaty substance that dragons got. At least gods got info on their own realm in some cases decent info. But really, the the new useable info on dragons was poor and partial at best.

Sorry, rant over, returning dead horse to storage.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The only PFRPG book I'm going to buy is LotD3. I might consider other books once this one gets released but until it does I'm not supporting this line. In fact, once the Minion Wars series is complete, the only line I intend to continue to support are the Rifters.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”