using minis...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Re: using minis...

Unread post by dragonfett »

Unfortunately IMO, Rifts does not lend itself well to the use of minis because of the HUGE disparity of ranges (2 miles for GB's, 4k' for most PA and Robot Vehicle weapons, 2k' for most laser rifles, melee range, etc). They would be more suited for the PFRPG honestly.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

if you're interested, i worked up some really basic miniatures rules that were included in Rifter #50. They were intended for use with Ninjas & Superspies, but you could use them in small-scale battles in Rifts.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

chaz47 wrote:I recently started collecting miniatures for a TriStat dX campaign. The campaign seems to be moving into RIFTS and I'm wondering if anyone else on here uses miniatures and if so what lines? I am aware there are some official RIFTS minis but they are currently OOP, no? Also, for those of you who are using minis what scale do you recommend? 1 inch = ?

I made myself a number of 2D minis using the books, a scanner, and Adobe PhotoDeluxe. Construction comes and goes, but I'm up to a Company of CS soldiers, dog boys, skelebots, power armor, rocket cycles, bots, and vehicles. I use book tape to mount them on cardboard folded into isosceles triangles with the image on the front, and identifying numbers/icons and quick stats on the back. Works pretty well. Front side is for the players' benefit, the back is for the GM's.

Scale-wise I generally go with 1 hex = 1 yard/meter for small scale action, and bump it up to 1 hex = 10 yards/meters or more when power armor and fast vehicles come into play. The scale is mainly there for the coordination of events (I made my own much-improved movement/action rules) as played out on a hex map. I like to use hex maps with my minis because with a little prep, there's never any arguments about distances of line of sight; it's right there for the world to see.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I made a series of paper minies to appromately 25mm scale. Evrything possible int eh main book/RUE and sourcebook 1's and all to scale. So the CS Grunt is to proper scale next toe the Enforcer next to teh Skull Walker. While only one side of the mini has an image there is an outline to cut them out so they take up a 3d space on teh table
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
dragonfett
Knight

I would like to know just how tall was the Grunt in cm, or the Enforcer, or the Skull Walker?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

dragonfett wrote:I would like to know just how tall was the Grunt in cm, or the Enforcer, or the Skull Walker?

Grunt - 3cm (this is within 1mm of the hieght of hte actual Rifts Mini of a CS Grunt)
Enforcer - 10.1cm
Skull Walker - 15.2cm

Ther is a thread on teh boards with some pictures I took of some of the paper minis I did.

EDIT - Here is the thread I found and then posted mine in. Gagiboys are pretty neat too :D

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72737
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
dragonfett
Knight

One question, if you are using a game mat, how many feet are each square/hex?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Generally 1"= 5 ft on a battle mat.

Rifts isn't hard sci-fi. Real life armored duels can occur at long range (over a mile) but Rifts is geared toward being able to use all those cool melee weapons and abilities. Most energy weapons (max range: 2000 ft.) can't even shoot half a mile.

Just for frame of reference the new world record sniper shot was taken in Afghanistan by a British Corporal of Horse with a Accuracy International L11583 rifle chambered in .338 lapua. 3 hits on 3 separate targets at 8120 ft.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Well we have always played with minis they add so much interest to the game, I don't think I would be interested in playing without them. Their is such a large selection out there now you can easily find something to mirror your character class, vehicle or P.A. I painted up two elephant models I had to look just like the Mastodon Battle Robot “Hannibal” in SA 2 and made a NE-JE Juggernaut Heavy Hover Tank out of lego and painted it up. Used newspaper & plaster to create a Galapagos Submersible Robot “Shelly” & our Behemoth Explorer but both didn't turnout perfect but I'm still working on them.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

If I use minis with Rifts, I just use them for approximations and determing who is in relation to who on the battlefield. Any scaling would drive me crazy. I don't like to nail down my gonzo.
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

I found that HeroClix and other minis from WizKids work nicely.
Plus, they have different sets depending on what type of character you have.

Mageclix, Heroclix (different comic companies), and Battletech (for PA, robots, vehicles, etc) are the most common. Plus, alot of the game shops in my area clearance packages of these all the time.
So, they are usually fairly cheap. Plus, they are already painter (I am terrible at painting mini's and models).

We don't use mats as we are usually strapped for time to set up encounters.
So, we generalize and approximate the situation.

So far, it seems to be working rather smoothly.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

stankind wrote:We don't use mats as we are usually strapped for time to set up encounters.
So, we generalize and approximate the situation.

In addition to a final hex-map (that can be drawn on with a water-based felt-pen and erased) I use two additional things to help speed setup along.

The first is what I call my Generic Props. These are generally black foam shapes (most are one-inch cubes) that I can drop down and declare to be whatever... it's a rock, it's a tree, it's a platform... Also in my box of generic props are pizza topper with their legs cut down to just a half-inch or so for instant round or triangular tables (I've never come across a square one). And lastly in the box, there is the generic shape... a fat purple lace I salvaged from a some old sweat pants that I can quickly form into any shape in a matter of seconds; square it off into a room or a long narrow passage (winding or straight), throw it down for a cave with uneven walls, whatever.

But when I really want something to be good, I print out some hex paper and either draw the environment how I need it, or put something more elaborate together on my Adobe program and print it on that pre-hexed paper. Either way its really nice and can be sprung on the players in an instant. This is especially nice for reoccurring locations, like the character's favorite bar/base of operations, a generic setting that you want detail for, or a million and one other things that you want to look nice but also want overlaid with hexes for combat situations. And best of all, because they're so easily reproduced* (* remember to save) the sheets are disposable! Write on them, punch holes in them, set the darn things on fire, it doesn't matter.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”