Talisman Overkill...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

Talisman Overkill...

Unread post by Astral Pantheon »

Ok, once you have the Talisman Spell and a Ley Line (makes things easier) how much power do you need. Examples are:

A MDC Jacket with talismans on the inside (Using a Silver Dollar as the size of the talismans about 40- 60 on a Large Jacket...had free time today) and (Thats say all this are 2nd time recharged talismans that give 30 PPE each)... 1200 to 1800 P.P.E.
**middle ground 1500 P.P.E.**

Then duel belt, pants, and boots: another 30 to 60 (varies on size)
**45 middle**
So, 45 talismans that can each hold Three spell charges (1st to 8th level)...

What more does a Mage need?

Not responsible for P.P.E. detecting creatures nor CS forces!!
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Talisman Overkill...

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Astral Pantheon wrote:Ok, once you have the Talisman Spell and a Ley Line (makes things easier) how much power do you need. Examples are:

A MDC Jacket with talismans on the inside (Using a Silver Dollar as the size of the talismans about 40- 60 on a Large Jacket...had free time today) and (Thats say all this are 2nd time recharged talismans that give 30 PPE each)... 1200 to 1800 P.P.E.

**45 middle**

A good excuse...? :twisted:

Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

JuliusCreed wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:Ok, once you have the Talisman Spell and a Ley Line (makes things easier) how much power do you need. Examples are:

**45 middle**

A good excuse...? :twisted:

:ok:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

**45 middle**

Not responsible for P.P.E. detecting creatures nor CS forces !!

Except that Dog Boys sense the presence of magic, which means they would sense the charged Talismans the guy is carrying.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

**45 middle**

Except that Dog Boys sense the presence of magic, which means they would sense the charged Talismans the guy is carrying.

Astral Pantheon wrote:Not responsible for P.P.E. detecting creatures nor CS forces !!
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Why use talismans when you can use Vajras-1st-spells of legend, Mystic China, Unlimited spells, as long as you have Tines.
I usually use 2 Vajras-One with spells, & 1 as a storage for P.P.E, & Chi.........
Last edited by Grandil on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Astral Pantheon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

**45 middle**

Astral Pantheon wrote:Not responsible for P.P.E. detecting creatures nor CS forces !!

I see not what you said here because you didn't say anything.

I will repeat the important part of what I said.
Dog Boys sense the presence of magic.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

**45 middle**

I see not what you said here because you didn't say anything.

I will repeat the important part of what I said.
Dog Boys sense the presence of magic.

:lol: :lol:

....and its wrote not said.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

Not every area of the megaverse is as opposed to magic as the CS. I personally look like Mr. T with all the jewelry that I wear. I don't care what a few dog boys can smell, I don't frequent CS areas.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

We had a player in our group create a gold necklace where each link in the chain was a ppe battery so he had plenty in reserve for trouble.
I usually have talismans for Invincible Armor, Invulnerability, Sustain, Targeted Deflection, Escape,Dispel Magic Barriers and Negate Magic as rings for quick access and use.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:We had a player in our group create a gold necklace where each link in the chain was a ppe battery so he had plenty in reserve for trouble.
I usually have talismans for Invincible Armor, Invulnerability, Sustain, Targeted Deflection, Escape,Dispel Magic Barriers and Negate Magic as rings for quick access and use.

you had a very permissive GM there.
Although "technically" legal I know of few GMs that would have allowed such a liberal interpretation of the Talisman spell. Out of curiosity how many links were in the gold chain?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

It was the GM's personal NPC who created the chain. I believe it had about 20 or so links and they were very large chain links, about an inch each or so. As i said, think Mr. T when he traded in the plethora of chains for that one giant necklace that he wore for a while. 50 ppe initial charge times 20 links was 1000 ppe stored.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud

Unread post by Grandil »

Rider wrote:
Grandil wrote:Why use talismans when you can use Vajras-1st-spells of legend, Mystic China, Unlimited spells, as long as you have Tines.
I usually use 2 Vajras-One with spells, & 1 as a storage for P.P.E, & Chi.........

The main issue there is that while in theory you can make an unlimitedly awesome Vajra, you need to have the PPE to create it all at once, so there's a limit on how big you can make it.

Whereas, you can keep making talismans 1 at a time until the cows come home.

Of course, you could always make a bunch of vajras too, but unlike talismans where I think you only need to be in contact with them (or do you have to grab your necklace?) you need to hold a vajra in your hand, and possibly even use the vajra-manipulating mudra, to activate it.

Mudra are very useful in this respect, you're right, but the vajra issue is one of time, take a few P.P.E. Batteries-Energy Sphere; depends on how many the GM
will let you have-I limit Vajras to 2, as above, & 1/lvl for Energy Sphere. Now about the mudra thing: there are at least 2, possibly 3 ways of doing it.
Manipulative mudra are ok, but the one that sticks out is The Mudra for the evocation of Power; it has a range. Read up! Time is not really an issue here as you
can Time hole it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rider wrote:The main issue there is that while in theory you can make an unlimitedly awesome Vajra, you need to have the PPE to create it all at once, so there's a limit on how big you can make it.

LMAO
If you believe that you need all the PPE/Chi to make a Vajra at one time then you {**edits a question about smoking**} and you need to read the applicable text about vajra creation over.
If you do not even have the book that such text is in, then refrain from making comments.

It takes less PPE to make simple vajra then it does to do the initial 500 PPE enchantment when making a talisman.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Rider wrote:The main issue there is that while in theory you can make an unlimitedly awesome Vajra, you need to have the PPE to create it all at once, so there's a limit on how big you can make it.

LMAO
If you believe that you need all the PPE/Chi to make a Vajra at one time then you {**edits a question about smoking**} and you need to read the applicable text about vajra creation over.
If you do not even have the book that such text is in, then refrain from making comments.

It takes less PPE to make simple vajra then it does to do the initial 500 PPE enchantment when making a talisman.

True! @ Drewkitty! have the vajra the create a series of tines-but then we're talkin IQ!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

**45 middle**

Within the context of the Palladium Megaverse, the creation rules for Talismans DOES make you wonder why any Magic-wielding society ever has anything to fear from a technological enemy.

Going strictly by the rules-as-written and putting aside the munchkinism for a moment, EVERY soldier in Tolkeen should have EACH been wearing so many combat/defense-related Talismans (cranked out en masse by highly-paid mages in the service of Tolkeen) that they could barely walk!!
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Depending on the GM to allow it (technicallly speaking OK).

Still if you can not the spell of because the mage is constantly hit by laser fire, it is useless. For spells in the second line and support it is great. Still a mage needs 500 P.P.E. to create just one talisman and which "normal" character has that much P.P.E. even using a nexus during elcipse etc. (very dangerous).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

Well I like the idea of using talismans to for a boost... I am not sure but don't you have to be a mage to use most talismans, and other magic Artifacts and devices? and well there is really no limit to how many you can have I for one would not have allowed the use of every link in the chain to be used as a ppe battery and I do use ppe battery's in my games.. Peaces of Irish blue stone are vary much sought after.. and there self charging there are limits how ever they have to be in contact with the ground, or exposed to a lay line, or exposed to sun and or moon light. to self charge they and the size limits how much of a charge they can hold. unfurged meteoric iron works much the same way. malicit can be charged and can hold a charge as can silver and iron but should not come into contact with the ground or the ppe will ground out, completely discharging it in a matter of secs. I make the same ruling for talismans and Amuilats that have a spell set in it..... The spell is still there but it needs to be recharged.... the other thing if handed by evil the items must be discharged and clinsed in a ritual before they can be used again.... possibly the same for a nega
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Ice Dragon wrote:Depending on the GM to allow it (technicallly speaking OK).

Still if you can not the spell of because the mage is constantly hit by laser fire, it is useless. For spells in the second line and support it is great. Still a mage needs 500 P.P.E. to create just one talisman and which "normal" character has that much P.P.E. even using a nexus during elcipse etc. (very dangerous).
AFAIK, most Magical Kingdoms are built on or near Ley Lines if not Ley Line Nexuses.

PLENTY of PPE for a militarily-minded kingodm of mages (offensive or defensive in nature) to exploit over time.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

cornholioprime wrote:

AFAIK, most Magical Kingdoms are built on or near Ley Lines if not Ley Line Nexuses.

PLENTY of PPE for a militarily-minded kingodm of mages (offensive or defensive in nature) to exploit over time.

Quite correct, but they will use the P.P.E. collected for charging their TW devices, use it for magical experiments, etc. Mostly this magical kingdoms would not let "normal" characters near their nexus - except as a reward (so you can create your talisman). The Sploogies need their nexus for creating rune weapons and bio-wizard experiments. Other magical kingdoms use their nexus toi build TW devices like Stormspire...

It was just an argument, that it is not so easy to create 40 - 60 talisman.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Ice Dragon wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

Quite correct, but they will use the P.P.E. collected for charging their TW devices, use it for magical experiments, etc. Mostly this magical kingdoms would not let "normal" characters near their nexus - except as a reward (so you can create your talisman). The Sploogies need their nexus for creating rune weapons and bio-wizard experiments. Other magical kingdoms use their nexus toi build TW devices like Stormspire...

It was just an argument, that it is not so easy to create 40 - 60 talisman.
actually the creation of the talismans is not that hard; 500 ppe is not that hard to come by (for a decent mage player)...
Its the time factor that is the sticking point.
For me I think there needs to be not just a maximum size limitation but a minimum as well.
Otherwise you get the above suggested gold link chain necklace or worse (this ones my favorite) the hourglass where each grain of sand is a Talisman ppe battery.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

[joke]balh balh balh.... I will one up you. A Chainmail vest of talisman. :P
chain mail shirts use between 10-20k rings.[/joke]
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:balh balh balh.... I will one up you. A Chainmail vest of talisman. :P
chain mail shirts use between 10-20k rings.

and how many grains of sand are in an hour glass? hundreds of thousands? millions? an asininely large frigging number is my point drew.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Rogue_Scientist wrote:I would have a hard time not physically hitting all of you with my books.
not sure what you mean... I was showing exactly how redicously far the current wite up can be taken. I never said I agree with it.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

and as I said i would not let a player get away with that my self I mean realy
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

There is a minimum size for a talisman already. It cannot be smaller than 1 inch. That is why my friend used 1 inch rings as the links to his ppe necklace. It took a long time to create and a long time to recharge the one time he used it to cast a dimensional portal but it got the party out of harm's way.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:There is a minimum size for a talisman already. It cannot be smaller than 1 inch. That is why my friend used 1 inch rings as the links to his ppe necklace. It took a long time to create and a long time to recharge the one time he used it to cast a dimensional portal but it got the party out of harm's way.

RBoM page 150, 2nd paragraph wrote:...., and the object can not be larger then two feet (0.6 m) tall, long, or wide.

The above are the only dimension limitations in canon.

Do you have a book quote for your smallness limitation, or is it a house rule for your group?
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

I had a player do the talisman PPE battery vest. He had trouble because of it. I always explained to him that the more magic you have the more attention you gather, if you had 1 or 2 PPE Talismans then most big creatures probably wouldn't bother, but if you have even 50 PPE batteries Large creatures of magic are going to notices an try to take them from you. Supernatural creatures and creatures of magic are naturally drawn to the pull of magic and many convent magical objects, even the ones who don't know how to use them. so walking around with a vest of PPE talisman is like walking down the street with a vest of gold and jewels, you are going to tempt even the nicest creatures to just take it by force and the batteries can only hold back so many opponents before they are depleted.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I have a char that uses an Energy Sphere variant to store at least a couple thousand PPE in them about the char at all times and never got the 'lots of Magic draws in the SN' talk. But then again the char is a HU char, so there is not as many SN critters as there are in rifts.
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

It takes time out of the game to build up a supply of talismans. My character has quite a few over the years and hates to have to tap into them as the recharge is a pain. And yes, you do risk drawing in trouble, it does happen.

Also, anyone who touches them can use them, so get into a wrestling match and have someone use one against you.

One of our gun boys has no problem, he carries a large number of clips and they do draw attention (though most are in dimensional bags.

Of course the enemy ALSO has them at times, so look out.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”