Semi-portable circle?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Semi-portable circle?

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

What are some thoughts on having a magic circle and all components set set up on a slab of some kind if you had the ability to summon the slab and everything on it to you? I find Circle Magic very powerful but time consuming in setup. If you could have a circle prepared in that manner and teleport the slab would the circle still be effective after pumping ppe into it?
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Semi-portable circle?

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:What are some thoughts on having a magic circle and all components set set up on a slab of some kind if you had the ability to summon the slab and everything on it to you? I find Circle Magic very powerful but time consuming in setup. If you could have a circle prepared in that manner and teleport the slab would the circle still be effective after pumping ppe into it?

If I'm reading this right, your circle maker has drawn a circle of some kind onto a semi-portable surface, we'll say like a tabletop, using all the correct components, symbols, materials, et al., and what you want to know is, can it still be effectively used after transporting it, via teleportation, or I assume whatever other means you wish to use to move it, by just saying the right words and expending PPE.
The short answer is yes. Once the circle is drawn you can activate it any time you like with the proper power words and PPE expenditure so long as the circle itself remains unbroken and all proper components remain in place. (I mention this particular stipulation due to the intrinsic nature of some circles having less than stable components, for example, the Circle of Invisibility requiring the whole and unbroken skeleton of a toad at the center, or the fact that a Protection from Fairies circle is drawn in salt)
However, one has to consider the logistics of it. If you could somehow manage to get these slabs made, you're looking at over 30 different slabs/circles your char has prepared, and that's not even counting the Power circles your summoner may know, just protection and summoning. Then there's all the additional components that may have to be carried by your char for a particular circle that would be needed for their activation. For example, the Summoning circles all require a sacrifice of some kind. For one like Summoning Ghosts/Entities, I could probably see your char maybe having the two toads neccessary for the sacrifice, but what are the chances that he's leading around a goat or a sheep for when he needs to bring in his circle for summoning Demons or Devils?
For years, Iv'e heard a lot of people question the validity of playing a Summoner or Diabolist for pretty much the same reasons you have. A lot of power in the magic, but the lack of the instant effects of spell casting. Sorry, but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to power of circle magic. In the end it really helps maintain balacnce in the game. After all, who would really see the merit in playing a Wizard or Warlock if one could summon a Greater Demon or Angel to do your bidding in the time it takes to cast a Blinding Flash spell?
My advice to you and your Summoner... set up a lair. Your own sanctum sanctorum, be it a castle, tower, cave, mud hut, whatever. Once you get your lair set up, you have a relatively safe place from which you can do all the circle making and summoning you want, especially the summoning. Bring up a couple high powered minions and make a few long term deals with them. Their services in exchange for whatever you want to offer them. Or just use the battle of Wills to keep them dominated into submission. The key to all the power a Summoner has is forethought and planning. They don't have the instant effect a Wizard or Warlock has with their magic, but the results are much more spectacular and potentially a lot more dangerous. After all, a fireball can only hit you once. A Ball-Rog can keep hitting you until its summoner gets tired of hearing your remains squelching on the ground.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

I have a lair already but I understand your point. I was mainly interested in a few circles, not 30+.

JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:I have a lair already but I understand your point. I was mainly interested in a few circles, not 30+.

Fair enough, but considering all the other logistic problems you could run into (ie component stability, carrying around sacrifices, etc.) I hope you can see where the portable circle can be quite a hassle. Please don't think I'm condemning the idea. Quite the contrary it's innovative and yet another way of thinking outside the box. If you and your GM can work out an equitable system for it, hats off to you and congratulations. Just be ready to accept whatever reasonable limitations that could be imposed, and overall, have fun with it!

Good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:I would probably allow some kind of one-way, "back to base" device or incantation. Similar to the phase transponders from Phase World.

I'm not wild about easily setting up networks of teleportation circles. If it were that easy to do, I'm not sure the Splugorth would have bothered with pyramids.

Well, the pyramids represent power in terms of PPE, rift control and access. Also they are able to teleport dimensionally as well as locally and if you control the pyramid, you deny your enemy control of it.

The various teleport circles have range limitations and while you can make one as big as you need for more transport, they are usually only site to site, where the pyramid can have a different destination.

My dragon character is making a network of port circles, but it is time consuming AND they have to be hidden to keep others from using them.

As far as porttability, depending on your time and tech level, you can make them pretty sturdy. If the circle needs say to be made of silver, and you would normally use silver dust, you carve the circle into wherever it will be placed and fill the etched out circle with a silver inlay. Ingrediants like a frog skeleton could be held down in some way, say carefully covered in mud which is then turned to stone.

A GM should like creativity as long as you are not trying to imbalance the game.
jarlaxle
Explorer
Comment: Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to write them on a $20 bil and send them to me.

Unread post by jarlaxle »

rifter 13 dark techno wizardry
simple spell change out versus a summoning disk
pick up truck required to transport.
but a decent starting place.
I support Hades in the minion war
They say life is short, but it is the longest thing you will do
Characters:
Rachel Riftrider
Story Logs:
Time Marshalls: Agent Riftrider
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:What are some thoughts on having a magic circle and all components set set up on a slab of some kind if you had the ability to summon the slab and everything on it to you? I find Circle Magic very powerful but time consuming in setup. If you could have a circle prepared in that manner and teleport the slab would the circle still be effective after pumping ppe into it?

Khord-RU Thinking using this in the Fantasy Realm or in Rifts-the last one reply was here on earth,
but I think you meant Palladium FRPG. Am I right? I've put protection circles, & Others on a
Dominator Starship. I'm also putting some in Soulharvest. I've had a Circle Mage there for a few
weeks in preparation for an assault.........Ya know where Soulharvest is? Guess!
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

I was thinking in general terms for a galactic spanning Rifts game that I am in. As the OP stated, circles are powerful but time consuming, so if I could have them prepared and them summon the prepared slab to me, one of my many tricks, I don't waste time preparing the magic. My GM has approved of it due to this thread, so thanks to the forum!

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud

Unread post by Grandil »

Then put them in a vehicle..........
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Vehicles are limited in mobility and prone to destruction. I stopped wearing body armor for the same reasons. I got tired of replacing suits especially after getting them tricked out with techno-wizardry. I pretty much stick to Naruni Force Fields and Phase Fields as far as tech goes.

Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:Vehicles are limited in mobility and prone to destruction. I stopped wearing body armor for the same reasons. I got tired of replacing suits especially after getting them tricked out with techno-wizardry. I pretty much stick to Naruni Force Fields and Phase Fields as far as tech goes.

You can always draw your circle on a leather mat. Use it, and then roll up the mat for transport. The circle is not broken, it can be used again for the usual cost!
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Starmage21 wrote:You can always draw your circle on a leather mat. Use it, and then roll up the mat for transport. The circle is not broken, it can be used again for the usual cost!

Some circle components don't take well to being rolled up, specifically metals inscribed into circles and fluid components.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:Vehicles are limited in mobility and prone to destruction. I stopped wearing body armor for the same reasons. I got tired of replacing suits especially after getting them tricked out with techno-wizardry. I pretty much stick to Naruni Force Fields and Phase Fields as far as tech goes.

Then how du get around? Transporting stone, or concrete would be hard; consider the size......
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

My vehicle of choice is a TW Turbo Wing Board. I also use a contra-gravity pack occasionally. One of the best mobility spells is Winged Flight. I have a way to summon the slabs to me that would violate the no conversion rule, so I have to be vague.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:My vehicle of choice is a TW Turbo Wing Board. I also use a contra-gravity pack occasionally. One of the best mobility spells is Winged Flight. I have a way to summon the slabs to me that would violate the no conversion rule, so I have to be vague.

Khord, could you freind me on facebook? I wanna know how! PM Me here at the pally site
Starmage21
Adventurer

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:You can always draw your circle on a leather mat. Use it, and then roll up the mat for transport. The circle is not broken, it can be used again for the usual cost!

Some circle components don't take well to being rolled up, specifically metals inscribed into circles and fluid components.

you have to do this on a case by case basis. If you left the circle flat where it was, it'd last a 1000 years because the magic keeps everything fresh until someone intentionally tries to disrupt it. There's even that circle in one of the adventures that's covered with mud and the PCs dont even find out about it til they've crossed it and are infected with it's magical contagion.

So I figure this works when you've got smaller components and a little preparation (like using a wax binder on circles drawn in powder of some metal). The Summon Elemental Forces circle is pretty damned useful to have available on the fly, the biggest part of it is the sacrifice.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Starmage21 wrote:

you have to do this on a case by case basis. If you left the circle flat where it was, it'd last a 1000 years because the magic keeps everything fresh until someone intentionally tries to disrupt it.
Spoiler:
There's even that circle in one of the adventures that's covered with mud and the PCs dont even find out about it til they've crossed it and are infected with it's magical contagion.
This is in Old Ones-Grandil

So I figure this works when you've got smaller components and a little preparation (like using a wax binder on circles drawn in powder of some metal). The Summon Elemental Forces circle is pretty damned useful to have available on the fly, the biggest part of it is the sacrifice.
Last edited by Grandil on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Another way to transport them is to have the Spells D-Pockets, or D-Envelope
Starmage21
Adventurer

Grandil wrote:Another way to transport them is to have the Spells D-Pockets, or D-Envelope

Yeah but summoners dont get spell magic. Unless you multiclass, youre boned.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

I'm a Lizard Mage! Of course I multi-class.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:I'm a Lizard Mage! Of course I multi-class.

As I suggested in a PM to you Look up Yggdrasil, or go to the Palladium World & Get those
spells!
Grandil
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

SgtEliakon wrote:Under layer, circle, over layer

under layer is a nice two ply mat of thick parchment threaded to a second piece by thin threads of the parchment, the first piece is of course warded, second piece has the circle drawn on it
the over layer is a warded piece of parchment that also has a ward of perm anchoring a spell of invisibility.
all the pieces are woven together by thin threads of the parchment that were cut before enchantments were placed
roll up and stick in d-pockets in a cloak and pull out as needed. has driven my players crazy for years

Once again some components don't take to well to being rolled up. I appreciate the thought but I think my idea of a type of stone slab is the best option, plus I am a stone master!

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

You mentioned a Time Lord in your party, Might you have P.P.E. Conversions for the spells-I do have Tnmt
Dimensional Turtles, Also amounts of P.P.E./lvl for the class itself. I need it for my wife's character. If ya
have it. thanks Khord!
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Grandil wrote:You mentioned a Time Lord in your party, Might you have P.P.E. Conversions for the spells-I do have Tnmt
Dimensional Turtles, Also amounts of P.P.E./lvl for the class itself. I need it for my wife's character. If ya
have it. thanks Khord!

I will pm you when I dig out the papers filed away for safe keeping.

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

How about a metal disk with a contra-grav pack attached to the bottom and a remote control?
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Grandil wrote:You mentioned a Time Lord in your party, Might you have P.P.E. Conversions for the spells-I do have Tnmt
have it. thanks Khord!

I will pm you when I dig out the papers filed away for safe keeping.

Make sure that theres the "No Conversions & Why' Bloggy thingy. Again Thanks, Khord!
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Some circles have to be drawn in specific substances. But many don't. You can draw the circle out of anything. So, what about an LCD panel? The floor of your house, van, flatbed truck, etc. Could be any of those particular circles you need with the push of a remote button.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Circles need components in addition to the actual circle so drawing on an LCD won't work.

Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:Circles need components in addition to the actual circle so drawing on an LCD won't work.

So you just keep the other components handy. It still reduces the time and work involved by quite a bit I'd imagine.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”