Semi Portable Circle?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Semi Portable Circle?

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

I posted this in the Guild of Magic forum but I am putting it here as well. What are some thoughts on having a magic circle inscribed and all components placed on a slab of some kind? If you were able to teleport the slab and everything on it to you would the circle still function once you pumped the ppe into it to activate it? I know it would be difficult with normal magic but that isn't what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Re: Semi Portable Circle?

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:I posted this in the Guild of Magic forum but I am putting it here as well. What are some thoughts on having a magic circle inscribed and all components placed on a slab of some kind? If you were able to teleport the slab and everything on it to you would the circle still function once you pumped the ppe into it to activate it? I know it would be difficult with normal magic but that isn't what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

I would say yes. A summoner in our game had/has teleportation circles in his castle set in a dwarven designed CD Changer-like system that moves the solid discs on which they are made move about so he can choose one going to his destination. A mobile circle using the Fly spell was even thought up, but never came about that I know of.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

In the Trouble in Terrelia (or more trouble..) adventure in Yin sloth jungles book there is an animate dead circle inscribed on a giant slab of rock that floats.

The finer details may be out and Im sure it doesnt say how large the floating rock is but the point is the circle works and is even moving whilst activated!

So if you can do the above then I say you can port a slab with a circle already drawn and activate it, np.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:I posted this in the Guild of Magic forum but I am putting it here as well. What are some thoughts on having a magic circle inscribed and all components placed on a slab of some kind? If you were able to teleport the slab and everything on it to you would the circle still function once you pumped the ppe into it to activate it? I know it would be difficult with normal magic but that isn't what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

See my response in the Guild forum :D
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I allow it, a game I ran centered around two summoners they both kept a Circle prepared this way (using their minions to tote them about much of the time, hiding them other times). I did however rule that any time a circle is physically moved, the magic wanes and the Duration is vastly reduced with a chance to break the spell (to make it desirable to create a fixed point, otherwise the world should be filled with portable tables on wheels with casters atop it!). But it was still a highly used option.

Later they made a wagon with four circles inscribed into the flat of it to cast on the go., but they got real defensive about that wagon really fast due to the effort to remake it if it ever broke!
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd allow it. So long as the circle is kept flat and contiguous, I don't see a problem. I've seen summoners who really liked wagons, because they could use the bed for circles.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'd have no problem with it, personally.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
avenger314
D-Bee

Unread post by avenger314 »

I'm intrigued. Someday I hope to rope one of my friends into DM'ing Palladium, and Summoner is one of my top choices. I may go Diabolist instead if the DM allows a bunch of my more outlandish ideas (see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120871 ), but there's something thematically awesome about the Summoner.
Brewski
D-Bee

Unread post by Brewski »

How about taking it a step further and say its inscribed on a large animals hide. Rolled up for portability. Then unroll, add components and active. Is this an agreeable system or does the rules state a solid type of floor.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Brewski wrote:How about taking it a step further and say its inscribed on a large animals hide. Rolled up for portability. Then unroll, add components and active. Is this an agreeable system or does the rules state a solid type of floor.

Many of them need molten metals or powdered metal glued down, which will all sorts of break when you roll it up. Even chalk will have serious problems rubbing away during transport like this.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”