Old and new dragons?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Old and new dragons?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

So Kevin want new Dragons on RUE, because they always meant to be, i get that but what about the old ones. clearly the Canon is seems to be only new ones only in the new book but the old books still have the old ones of course. so how do people hand this?
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
SkyeFyre
Hero

Re: Old and new dragons?

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I count the dragons in RUE as new additions. I still have my original books on hand for the stats for the old ones.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

I ignore Kevin's stupidity and just carry on like he's not ret-conned the entire game verse.
*shrug*
The new dragons exist, no question there, but the Palladium ones have been there longer.
Sorry, but KS's lunacy over "sepperating I/P's for future franchise options" is kinda absurd, and players shouldn't have to flounder around going;
"But wait, it was clearly stated in the CONVERSION book that dragons like the frost & great-horned, and flame and...but..what..wait...HUH!?"
Warning: User Warned. - NMI
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

well given that the conversion book is still in print supports that.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

I tend to see the dragons in the RUE as the 'semi-native' dragon types on Rifts Earth. The conversion book dragons are 'exotic' now. But the limited number in the RUE has me working on something for the Rifter... I need to go write...
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Sadly the new dragons are far more powerful than most of the old, especially with magic. Funny too are the npc dragons which come up in various books have stats which seem to not match the rules.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

So it's a good thing I have RMB rather than RUE? wow...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

X'Zanthar wrote:Sadly the new dragons are far more powerful than most of the old, especially with magic. Funny too are the npc dragons which come up in various books have stats which seem to not match the rules.

Dude, lots of NPCs don't match the rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The dragons found in RUE are just 'in addition to' the dragons that came before them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The dragons found in RUE are just 'in addition to' the dragons that came before them.

This :ok:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The dragons found in RUE are just 'in addition to' the dragons that came before them.

And I consider them to be much less common.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Power creep also affected the newer dragons in RUE. And as ultimate creatures of magic, most have very poor PPE.

I know it is a PF question and dragon, but does anyone know if they just made up the Ultucan Dragon (D&G pg 45), or did it actually show up in one of the books? We adventured through most of the PF world and I cannot remember ever running across them before.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

The seperation of IP for future licensing could be kiboshed byt he fact there is a RIFTS conversion book to begin with so Ithink doing that for that reason is foolish. I don't mind having RIFTS centric dragons though.

I'll still play a Great Horned over a Royal Frilled dragon either way so... :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Beast

X'Zanthar wrote:Power creep also affected the newer dragons in RUE. And as ultimate creatures of magic, most have very poor PPE.

I know it is a PF question and dragon, but does anyone know if they just made up the Ultucan Dragon (D&G pg 45), or did it actually show up in one of the books? We adventured through most of the PF world and I cannot remember ever running across them before.

No, that was their first (and, to my knowledge, only) appearance.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

X'Zanthar wrote:Power creep also affected the newer dragons in RUE. And as ultimate creatures of magic, most have very poor PPE.

I must not be getting your meaning...

If they got poor PPE, that hampers them as creature of magic, and is the reverse of power creep.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

The Beast wrote:
X'Zanthar wrote:Sadly the new dragons are far more powerful than most of the old, especially with magic. Funny too are the npc dragons which come up in various books have stats which seem to not match the rules.

Heh.

In the "Palladium Books Terminology Thread" I wanted to call such creations "Coffin Characters" but was ultimately not allowed (for reasons that are probably clear to older fans of the RPG, but not so clear to newer ones).

:twisted:
:cry:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Svartalf wrote:

If they got poor PPE, that hampers them as creature of magic, and is the reverse of power creep.

Sorry, was very tired when I wrote that. I meant the NEW RUE dragons got the creep, in overall ability vs the old dragons. Overall, most of the dragons really suck in magic.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

jaymz wrote:The seperation of IP for future licensing could be kiboshed byt he fact there is a RIFTS conversion book to begin with so Ithink doing that for that reason is foolish. I don't mind having RIFTS centric dragons though.

I'll still play a Great Horned over a Royal Frilled dragon either way so... :D

Carfeul there Jaymz... "The Man" doesn't like us saying bad things *points to the mod-hammer warning above*.
But yes... the Conversion book invalidates all arguments ;-)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

X'Zanthar wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

Sorry, was very tired when I wrote that. I meant the NEW RUE dragons got the creep, in overall ability vs the old dragons. Overall, most of the dragons really suck in magic.

Simple fix.
Update them using Dragons and Gods from Palladium Fantasy; they have all the conversion stats you need.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

DhAkael wrote:Carfeul there Jaymz... "The Man" doesn't like us saying bad things *points to the mod-hammer warning above*.

I may agree with what you said yet calling the owner of the company unintelligent and a lunatic well your kind of asking for the mod-hammer. I'm not one to pull punches when I post stuff about PB yet I'm also not one to go looking for trouble either.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
The Beast

cornholioprime wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Heh.

In the "Palladium Books Terminology Thread" I wanted to call such creations "Coffin Characters" but was ultimately not allowed (for reasons that are probably clear to older fans of the RPG, but not so clear to newer ones).

:twisted:
:cry:

It's not just some of his though. Some of the rule-breakers go back to before he worked for Palladium.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Sureshot wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Carfeul there Jaymz... "The Man" doesn't like us saying bad things *points to the mod-hammer warning above*.

I may agree with what you said yet calling the owner of the company unintelligent and a lunatic well your kind of asking for the mod-hammer. I'm not one to pull punches when I post stuff about PB yet I'm also not one to go looking for trouble either.

Oh agreed Sureshot... but well, my blood was up that day. *shrug* I take my mod-hammering like a mench; I'm not gonna protest this call cuz well, yeah, I WAS harsh beyond all ken. My sentiments still stand though. I just won't be as "colourful" in the future.

They DO own this forum afterall, and well, their sandbox, their rules. :clown:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

DhAkael wrote:Oh agreed Sureshot... but well, my blood was up that day. *shrug* I take my mod-hammering like a mench; I'm not gonna protest this call cuz well, yeah, I WAS harsh beyond all ken. My sentiments still stand though. I just won't be as "colourful" in the future.

They DO own this forum afterall, and well, their sandbox, their rules. :clown:

Just word it more carefully. Imo they really do not want to hear anything negative. No matter how carefully phrased or constructuvelly the crictism is. Nothing anyone say will convince me on that. Not anymore.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Ice Dragon hatchling is still worth taking, as long as you use the rules out of Dragons and Gods and MDC convert the creature. Being immune to fire AND cold gives you a lot of options that other groups just don't have. Standing in the center of a ball of plasma missiles and not taking a thing is extremely handy.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

duck-foot wrote:

not exactly, a greathorned dragon would still kick the crap out of any of the ones

funny, i thought the royal frilled dragon would give them a run for their money.

Return to “Rifts®”