Keeping it Simple

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ExoKnight
D-Bee

Keeping it Simple

Unread post by ExoKnight »

Thinking about getting back into RIFTS after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No robots, power armors, super RCCs, overpowered OCCs, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a post apocalyptic setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be North America.
"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Keeping it Simple

Unread post by Kovoston »

What will the Coalition be like? The same? Modified to...?
G
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

start off in a some wilderness town
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

ExoKnight wrote:Thinking about getting back into RIFTS after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No robots, power armors, super RCCs, overpowered OCCs, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a post apocalyptic setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be North America.

depends on what you want in it
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

the Rifts main book
GM guide
adventure guide
world book 30

ExoKnight
D-Bee

Kovoston wrote:What will the Coalition be like? The same? Modified to...?
G

CS will be in the background. If I"m running a game it will probably be in area like West Virginia and simply be a wilderness type campaign. Where the PCs are exploring and trying survive the dangers of the new earth. Maybe at a trading outpost they here of the mysterious CS but no direct impact.

I was wondering how the Adventure Guide is? Reading the description it seems interesting.
"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford
ExoKnight
D-Bee

I'm looking to use the RIFTS Core(Ultimate Version) and conversion guide revised. I would allow basic classes like ley-line walkers, juicers, psychics, etc. I still want sci-fantasy but more a mad max type PA.

Since the game will probably be OpenRPG/Skype. Does anyone have a home made point buy system for attributes rather rolling?
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

I'd recommend:

Rifts Core (NON Ultimate if you have it)
Sourcebook 1 (considering the area)
GM Guide
WB 30 (D-Bees of NA is good for fleshing areas out)

If you wanted your folks to go south maybe add in WB 26 Dino Swamp however you might need to cut out some O.C.C.s but this was one of the more recent WBs that didn't go too crazy IMO.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

ExoKnight wrote:
Kovoston wrote:What will the Coalition be like? The same? Modified to...?
G

CS will be in the background. If I"m running a game it will probably be in area like West Virginia and simply be a wilderness type campaign. Where the PCs are exploring and trying survive the dangers of the new earth. Maybe at a trading outpost they here of the mysterious CS but no direct impact.

I was wondering how the Adventure Guide is? Reading the description it seems interesting.

Rifts® Sourcebook One™ - Revised and Expanded
Rifts® Shemarrian Nation™
Rifts® D-Bees of North America™

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Rifts Main Book
*Body Fixer
*Cyber-Doc
*Rogue Scientist
*Rogue Scholar
*Vagabond
*Wilderness Scout

Rifts New West
*Cowboy
*Saloon Bumm
*Shieriff
*Deptuty
*Bar Wench / Saloon Girl
*Preacher

Rifts Dino Swamp
*Various Wilderness Scout varients
*Barbarians

Rifts Warlords of Russia
*Villager/Farmer/Hunter/Peasent

--------

No robots, power armors, super RCCs, overpowered OCCs, etc.

This eliminates Almost everything in Rifts.
No Technology, No Magics, No Psychics, No RCCs in general.
So i suggest grabing your PALLADIUM FANTASY RPG for basic OCCs and RCCs.
*Merc Warrior = Normal weapons, etc...Fantasy styled
*Knight = Normal weapons, etc...Fantasy styled
*Merchant
*Villager
*Farmer
*Elf RCC
*Dwarf RCC
*Gnome RCC
*Orc RCC

----------

I'm not sure were your coming from or have been, but when you eliminate High Technology OCCs, Magic OCCs, Psychic RCCs, and Powerful RCCs in general, your basicly just playing FANTASY setting. So you might as well play Palladium Fantasy and throw in Technogy from Heroes Unlimited from time to time...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

ExoKnight wrote:Thinking about getting back into RIFTS after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No robots, power armors, super RCCs, overpowered OCCs, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a post apocalyptic setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be North America.

I would pick up Rifts Ultimate and Aftermath books, just to get up to date with all the current world events (and latest rules found in Ultimate)

For World Books try -

Dinosaur Swamp & Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp.

Arzno.

The Adventure Guide is great tool as well. You can design your own town and drop it just about anywhere.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Original main book
Sourcebook 1 (Primarily for repair costs, they keep things gritty. Archie can make a dark enemy)
Dinosaur Swamp does a great job of keeping that post-apocalyptic feel
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
ExoKnight
D-Bee

TechnoGothic wrote:I'm not sure were your coming from or have been, but when you eliminate High Technology OCCs, Magic OCCs, Psychic RCCs, and Powerful RCCs in general, your basicly just playing FANTASY setting. So you might as well play Palladium Fantasy and throw in Technogy from Heroes Unlimited from time to time...

I don't want to eliminate high tech from my game. I want to limit the amount. I don't plan on running a fantasy game, I'm already running pathfinder. There will still be energy weapons, body armors, etc. It's just the PC won't be running around as MDC creatures or flying in their power armors. Still RIFTS, just with less player options to keep it low on the power scale.
ExoKnight
D-Bee

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to grab a copy of the Adventure Guide and Sourcebook One Revised. Actually I remember Vampire Kingdoms being low tech but seeing as theres a new revised edition coming out soon I'll wait on that.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I'm a big fan of main book, sb1, and Vampire Kingdoms. As for keeping it low powered, that requires active participation on your part. You will need to limit money and equipment. Upsell the SDC environment. Let MD rule the setting but only 20% have it and the players are part of that group. Then of course everyone is after the players because of that gear
Grinning Demon
Explorer

Unread post by Grinning Demon »

New West, Spirit West, and Federation of Magic are also good books with nothing crazy overpowered in them. All in North America too so I'd definitely recommend getting those in addition to the other books mentioned here.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Grinning Demon wrote:New West, Spirit West, and Federation of Magic are also good books with nothing crazy overpowered in them. All in North America too so I'd definitely recommend getting those in addition to the other books mentioned here.

I disagree. Spirit West and Federation of Magic are, in fact, crazy overpowered. i would like to offer up the following for consideration: the American Indian Gods, the Paradox Shaman, the Totem Warrior, the indians in power armor, the Mystic Warrior, the Mystic Knight, Alistair Dunscon, the Colossus Automaton, the Deathbringer, the Battle Fury Blade, the Lord Magus and High Magus.

Personally i would combine Beyond the Supernatural and After the Bomb and run with that. slap on some S.D.C. Rifts window dressing and you're done.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Hmmm

Have you ever tried backgammon or maybe checkers? It isn't very exciting, but there is no over the top stuff...

Why play Rifts if you are going to remove 3/4 of the game, kind of silly to me. Stick with something simpler, you will enjoy it more. Maybe Palladium Fantasy, or Mechanoids, both are good games and you can terrorize your poor little players all you want and feel big and powerful. :)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Exoknight...

I still stand by the OCCs i listed for a simple game. One addition to them. CYBER-KNIGHTs.

If you have SoT4 Cyber-Knights use that version. Heck a game with just Cyber-Knights as the PCs always rock. They are not too powerful, have modest armor and back-up armor, and always have at least the unique psi-sword available when they need it.

You get the best of both worlds (RIFTS and FANTASY) with Cyber-Knights.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Grinning Demon
Explorer

Unread post by Grinning Demon »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Grinning Demon wrote:New West, Spirit West, and Federation of Magic are also good books with nothing crazy overpowered in them. All in North America too so I'd definitely recommend getting those in addition to the other books mentioned here.

I disagree. Spirit West and Federation of Magic are, in fact, crazy overpowered. i would like to offer up the following for consideration: the American Indian Gods, the Paradox Shaman, the Totem Warrior, the indians in power armor, the Mystic Warrior, the Mystic Knight, Alistair Dunscon, the Colossus Automaton, the Deathbringer, the Battle Fury Blade, the Lord Magus and High Magus.

Personally i would combine Beyond the Supernatural and After the Bomb and run with that. slap on some S.D.C. Rifts window dressing and you're done.

I don't think those are crazy overpowered. We'll have to agree to disagree 8-) I also don't think he'll be playing any Indian Gods or Alistair Dunscon, so that's really a non issue. That being said I think the cool/simple classes in those books far outnumber the powerful ones. All three are great to have as just a history on the most of midwest North America if nothing else.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Why would you play Rifts then?

You're saying that you want to play a game without using any of the actual setting.

Some similar statements are as follows:

"Thinking about getting back into D&D after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No wizards, sorcerers, non-humans, clerics, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a high-fantasy setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be Faerun."

"Thinking about getting back into Shadowrun after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No Street-Sams, Adepts, trolls, riggers, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a dystopian setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be Seattle."

"Thinking about getting back into Deadlands after a long hiatus. I want to keep my campaign very simple. No Junkers, Templars, Mutants, Doomsayers, etc. What books for the game keep the vibe of a post apocalyptic setting without all the over the top gonzo stuff? Going to probably be North America."

These statements aren't here to mock; they are to high-light that you want to play a game without using anything that the game is about, and it sounds absurd.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I totally get it. I run a very dark low powered gritty game. Survival is key, money is nonexistent, literacy is king (along with math). What you guys are doing is mocking a fan who wants to play and pushing them away.

I have a whole list of stuff that is not allowed in my games because they either unbalance the group dynamics, too silly, or too powerful. Dragons are banned because of this. Floopers are likewise. The other game books are cherry picked for ideas, equipment, and classes.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from Catalonia

Unread post by mobuttu »

Dinosaur swamp and Adventures in Dino Swamp w/o doubt.

Also check out Patchwork Armor @ WB14 New West pg. 178-179. It could interest you for a survival setting.

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Tiree wrote:I totally get it. I run a very dark low powered gritty game. Survival is key, money is nonexistent, literacy is king (along with math). What you guys are doing is mocking a fan who wants to play and pushing them away.

I have a whole list of stuff that is not allowed in my games because they either unbalance the group dynamics, too silly, or too powerful. Dragons are banned because of this. Floopers are likewise. The other game books are cherry picked for ideas, equipment, and classes.

Agreed.

ExoKnight - Nothing wrong with running a low powered game. That can be fun, and is every bit a part of the Rifts world as all the High Tech/High Power stuff.

As some have already said WB 14: New West, and WB 26: Dinosaur Swamp are good resources on playing lower powered games. Most OCCs in Rifts Ultimate Edition are good for that too. Heck, in Rifts Mercenaries, and Merc Ops there are lower powered PA, that maybe a good thing to use if you did wanna include that element later on.

I ran a game one where the players played a bunch of human barbarians in a very low powered game. It was cool.

You go, man. Have fun. Wish I could be a part of it.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Tiree wrote:I totally get it. I run a very dark low powered gritty game. Survival is key, money is nonexistent, literacy is king (along with math). What you guys are doing is mocking a fan who wants to play and pushing them away.

:ok:
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from Catalonia

Unread post by mobuttu »

DRock wrote:Go with Rifts Australia. That has a less emphasis on MDC.

True.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Chipwell stuff in Rifts Mercenaries is pretty good.

I'd say just roll up some random critters from the back of the main book, make up your own wilderness town, and have them go from there.

A few threads that might interest you:
SDC Town, MDC Threat
Non-Adventuring OCCs
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The Chipwell stuff in Rifts Mercenaries is pretty good.

I'd say just roll up some random critters from the back of the main book, make up your own wilderness town, and have them go from there.

A few threads that might interest you:
SDC Town, MDC Threat
Non-Adventuring OCCs

Cool thread, KC. I don't remember it, but very relivant. I hope ExoKnight can use it...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

ExoKnight wrote:I don't want to eliminate high tech from my game. I want to limit the amount. I don't plan on running a fantasy game, I'm already running pathfinder. There will still be energy weapons, body armors, etc. It's just the PC won't be running around as MDC creatures or flying in their power armors. Still RIFTS, just with less player options to keep it low on the power scale.

This sounds like my ideal take on Rifts. I'd love to hear what you come up with for the game, and what you decide to do with it.

And by "love to hear" I of course mean "steal shamelessly for my own game and when my players say 'wow, what a great idea' take full credit for it."

Return to “Rifts®”