Anyone tried this in Nightbane?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Anyone tried this in Nightbane?

Unread post by Nightmask »

I'm curious if anyone's had a character or group that made use of innocuous items like golf clubs, baseball bats, frisbees, etc subjected to the Enchant Weapon ritual so that they're now useful weapons against the supernatural threats in Nightbane? Much cheaper gear to purchase, with the biggest expense just the PPE for the spell. Seems like a good way for non-Nightbane (or Nightbane looking to conceal their Morphus forms) to carry around weapons useful against the evil mystical threats without them being obvious.
Last edited by Nightmask on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Re: ANyone tried this in Nightbane?

Unread post by Jedrious »

Nightmask wrote:I'm curious if anyone's had a character or group that made use of innocuous items like golf clubs, baseball bats, frisbees, etc subjected to the Enchant Weapon ritual so that they're now useful weapons against the supernatural threats in Nightbane? Much cheaper gear to purchase, with the biggest expense just the PPE for the spell. Seems like a good way for non-Nightbane (or Nightbane looking to conceal their Morphus forms) to carry around weapons useful against the evil mystical threats without them being obvious.

Um, someone walking around with Golf Clubs, Baseball Bats and frisbees without being in the appropriate areas WILL look suspicious... switchblades would be a much better bet, are small enough to conceal, and noone's going to notice a few extra gangbangers dead when you take them from the corpses
Nightmask
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I'm curious if anyone's had a character or group that made use of innocuous items like golf clubs, baseball bats, frisbees, etc subjected to the Enchant Weapon ritual so that they're now useful weapons against the supernatural threats in Nightbane? Much cheaper gear to purchase, with the biggest expense just the PPE for the spell. Seems like a good way for non-Nightbane (or Nightbane looking to conceal their Morphus forms) to carry around weapons useful against the evil mystical threats without them being obvious.

Um, someone walking around with Golf Clubs, Baseball Bats and frisbees without being in the appropriate areas WILL look suspicious... switchblades would be a much better bet, are small enough to conceal, and noone's going to notice a few extra gangbangers dead when you take them from the corpses

It's a lot easier to get around with sports gear in your car than switch blades, hand guns, or the like. There are few places were people are going to notice let alone find it suspicious that you've got a bag of golf clubs over your shoulder or a thing of frisbees unlike a sword or assault rifle.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Jedrious wrote:

It's a lot easier to get around with sports gear in your car than switch blades, hand guns, or the like. There are few places were people are going to notice let alone find it suspicious that you've got a bag of golf clubs over your shoulder or a thing of frisbees unlike a sword or assault rifle.

I can take a switchblade unnoticed just about everywhere I go, walking, driving, public transportation(except for Airlines), anywhere, I know, because I do, the same cannot be said for sports equipment, hell in my home city (modest population of 2.5 mil), the ONLY places I cannot take a switchblade unnoticed is the courthouse, 5 of the 9 high schools and the military testing facility.
Nightmask
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:I can take a switchblade unnoticed just about everywhere I go, walking, driving, public transportation(except for Airlines), anywhere, I know, because I do, the same cannot be said for sports equipment, hell in my home city (modest population of 2.5 mil), the ONLY places I cannot take a switchblade unnoticed is the courthouse, 5 of the 9 high schools and the military testing facility.

The switchblade is an obviously illegal weapon too, one that the moment it's seen is going to draw a lot more attention than someone with a yo yo (which gets its origins in a hunting weapon btw ) or two walking in plain sight. It's also unfortunate that you can get into 4 high schools in your area with an illegal weapon like that.

There are a number of items that work just fine as weapons that people aren't going to think about and a lot of monsters wouldn't think about either as being weapons. The question being I apparently need to repeat is if anyone's ever used them as such. Obviously you have not and seem to focus on concealed bladed weapons and firearms.

Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Is a walking cane or umbrella out of the question??
Nightmask
Palladin

Kovoston wrote:Is a walking cane or umbrella out of the question??

I can't see any reason that they couldn't be subjected to the Enchant Weapon spell, both can and have been used as weapons. You can use the spell to enchant AK-47s and Rail Guns I can't see why it wouldn't work on either of those items as well.

Jedrious
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Jedrious wrote:I can take a switchblade unnoticed just about everywhere I go, walking, driving, public transportation(except for Airlines), anywhere, I know, because I do, the same cannot be said for sports equipment, hell in my home city (modest population of 2.5 mil), the ONLY places I cannot take a switchblade unnoticed is the courthouse, 5 of the 9 high schools and the military testing facility.

The switchblade is an obviously illegal weapon too, one that the moment it's seen is going to draw a lot more attention than someone with a yo yo (which gets its origins in a hunting weapon btw ) or two walking in plain sight. It's also unfortunate that you can get into 4 high schools in your area with an illegal weapon like that.

There are a number of items that work just fine as weapons that people aren't going to think about and a lot of monsters wouldn't think about either as being weapons. The question being I apparently need to repeat is if anyone's ever used them as such. Obviously you have not and seem to focus on concealed bladed weapons and firearms.

Your examples were Baseball Bats, Golf Clubs and Frisbees, all of which are sports items that are only apropriate in certain areas. Go ahead, walk into a bank with a baseball bat, see how far you go. Yo-Yos may or may not be seen as appropriate depending on the level of unease in the public, it does not even take common sense to realize that a grown individual can do a lot of damage with a flail. Now, depending upon your ability to sell the necessity, a Cane would make a good enchanted cudgel, large style hair needles could make great enchanted stillettos, some motorcycle gloves would make wonderful enchanted cestus.

Remember your original intention was for the item to be viewed as harmless and common place.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Also, if your switchblade is seen before you stab someone with it, you're using it wrong, and any of these enchanted items dishing out the kind of damage that they can being used in view of witnesses are going to bring about the same level of panic and police/NSB attention regardless of how common place the item is, actually the less the item looks like a weapon and does significant damage, the MORE likely the NSB will be called in
Nightmask
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:Also, if your switchblade is seen before you stab someone with it, you're using it wrong, and any of these enchanted items dishing out the kind of damage that they can being used in view of witnesses are going to bring about the same level of panic and police/NSB attention regardless of how common place the item is, actually the less the item looks like a weapon and does significant damage, the MORE likely the NSB will be called in

If you think a switch blade is going to take out any of the monsters in Nightbane with a single stab or without being noticed that's a switch blade doing a disproportionate amount of damage that would be far more noticeable than the damage from an enchanted baseball bat. Also if you're at the point where you're engaged in combat you're going to be drawing attention anyway, the point is being able to bring in effective weapons that won't be recognized as weapons going in, like a super-soaker loaded with acid. It's about having the enemy think you haven't any weapons effective against them or no weapons at all. An enemy underestimating you is a good thing after all. A Nightbane morphing is an obvious threat, a group of apparently unarmed golfers (why would they think golf clubs could harm them after all?) on the other hand looks like easy prey until they go to town with those enchanted clubs.

Jedrious
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Jedrious wrote:Also, if your switchblade is seen before you stab someone with it, you're using it wrong, and any of these enchanted items dishing out the kind of damage that they can being used in view of witnesses are going to bring about the same level of panic and police/NSB attention regardless of how common place the item is, actually the less the item looks like a weapon and does significant damage, the MORE likely the NSB will be called in

If you think a switch blade is going to take out any of the monsters in Nightbane with a single stab or without being noticed that's a switch blade doing a disproportionate amount of damage that would be far more noticeable than the damage from an enchanted baseball bat. Also if you're at the point where you're engaged in combat you're going to be drawing attention anyway, the point is being able to bring in effective weapons that won't be recognized as weapons going in, like a super-soaker loaded with acid. It's about having the enemy think you haven't any weapons effective against them or no weapons at all. An enemy underestimating you is a good thing after all. A Nightbane morphing is an obvious threat, a group of apparently unarmed golfers (why would they think golf clubs could harm them after all?) on the other hand looks like easy prey until they go to town with those enchanted clubs.

So, your golf clubs are allowed to be enchanted, but the switchblade isn't. The entire point of concealed weaponry is that you do not appear armed until you use them, there is a reason that such weaponry is in use, it's unnoticeable until used and is very effective.
Nightmask
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:So, your golf clubs are allowed to be enchanted, but the switchblade isn't. The entire point of concealed weaponry is that you do not appear armed until you use them, there is a reason that such weaponry is in use, it's unnoticeable until used and is very effective.

If you'll look I directly referred to the switch blade dealing disproportionate damage (because it's enchanted) being just as likely to draw attention as any other listed item if not moreso since you're going for a stab and trying to keep people from knowing you used a weapon which would mean you apparently dealt unarmed damage that would rate you as a big threat to take out. You're also only doubling the damage on the weapons and unless you're really endowed with a generous GM you aren't going to one-shot-kill any supernatural creature with a switch blade.

Of course better weapons are the ones that you can have in plain sight that people don't even realize are weapons at all. You don't lose time having to get to it if you can carry it in your hands, like a baseball bat for someone dressed like he's a baseball player coming from or going to a game or the super-soaker of acid that will be dismissed as a toy. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if a super-soaker could be subjected to the Enchanted Weapon spell and deal damage to magical creatures like Nightbane and the minions of the Nightlords.

Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Anyone tried this in Nightbane?

Unread post by Hibik »

Honestly, they aren't going to ask questions about a Frisbee. Depending upon how you're dressed, you can get away with smaller stuff like frisbees, golf balls, etc just fine. Depending upon jurisdiction, you could enchant a pocket knife beneath a certain length (here it's 3.5", and it must be fold-able) to do a surprising amount of damage, but you'd likely run into places that won't allow them.

Golf -clubs-, baseball bats, rackets, and larger sporting goods would raise a lot of suspicion of course. A cane would be an excellent choice, however, if you can pull off a hobbled look (or you're in the 19th century and you're going to the theater).
Last edited by Hibik on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Jedrious
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Jedrious wrote:So, your golf clubs are allowed to be enchanted, but the switchblade isn't. The entire point of concealed weaponry is that you do not appear armed until you use them, there is a reason that such weaponry is in use, it's unnoticeable until used and is very effective.

If you'll look I directly referred to the switch blade dealing disproportionate damage (because it's enchanted) being just as likely to draw attention as any other listed item if not moreso since you're going for a stab and trying to keep people from knowing you used a weapon which would mean you apparently dealt unarmed damage that would rate you as a big threat to take out. You're also only doubling the damage on the weapons and unless you're really endowed with a generous GM you aren't going to one-shot-kill any supernatural creature with a switch blade.

Of course better weapons are the ones that you can have in plain sight that people don't even realize are weapons at all. You don't lose time having to get to it if you can carry it in your hands, like a baseball bat for someone dressed like he's a baseball player coming from or going to a game or the super-soaker of acid that will be dismissed as a toy. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if a super-soaker could be subjected to the Enchanted Weapon spell and deal damage to magical creatures like Nightbane and the minions of the Nightlords.

Just how much damage are you assigning to the Golf Clubs? They would at best be a cudgel which would deal 1D8, enchanted to 2D8, hardly beyond the 1D6 enchanted to 2D6 for the switchblade, and really, how many people do you see commonly walking down the street with a Super-Soaker, cause, honestly, I live in the desert and I never see people just casually walking around with water guns, I see them have water fights in their yards, but never casually walking down the street. I really think you are underestimating just how much attention carrying around a bunch of "toys" would grab, and if we're talking about driving around, well, much more useful things to do to the vehicle than carting around an acid filled Super-Soaker (BTW those things do leak, so good luck with your upolstery).

My main point is, if the plan is to conceal enchanted weaponry, why reinvent the wheel, enchant concealed weaponry, cause no matter how you look at it, once the fight starts, it's started, it's getting the fight to start where and when you desire that counts in Nightbane; not even the Warlords gang assault people in the middle of a crowded street with an unknown number of witnesses, and the NSB is significantly more subtle, Hounds don't casually walk through busy thoroughfares and randomly jump suspects either. This is a world where none of the supernatural beings want exposure and the government does not want the general public knowing that they snatch people off the streets for no reason, it's a world of Subtlety, and our real world laws of subtlety still apply.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Hibik wrote:Honestly, they aren't going to ask questions about a Frisbee. Depending upon how you're dressed, you can get away with smaller stuff like frisbees, golf balls, etc just fine. Depending upon jurisdiction, you could enchant a pocket knife beneath a certain length (here it's 3.5", and it must be fold-able) to do a surprising amount of damage, but you'd likely run into places that won't allow them.

Golf -clubs-, baseball bats, rackets, and larger sporting goods would raise a lot of suspicion of course. A cane would be an excellent choice, however, if you an pull off a hobbled look (or you're in the 19th century and you're going to the theater).

It's not so much question you about the frisbee, more it's the fact that it makes you memorable, whether they see you use it as a chakram or not.
Nightmask
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:
Hibik wrote:Honestly, they aren't going to ask questions about a Frisbee. Depending upon how you're dressed, you can get away with smaller stuff like frisbees, golf balls, etc just fine. Depending upon jurisdiction, you could enchant a pocket knife beneath a certain length (here it's 3.5", and it must be fold-able) to do a surprising amount of damage, but you'd likely run into places that won't allow them.

Golf -clubs-, baseball bats, rackets, and larger sporting goods would raise a lot of suspicion of course. A cane would be an excellent choice, however, if you an pull off a hobbled look (or you're in the 19th century and you're going to the theater).

It's not so much question you about the frisbee, more it's the fact that it makes you memorable, whether they see you use it as a chakram or not.

And breaking out switchblades and automatic weapons somehow doesn't make you more memorable? I'm not going to give a second glance to someone walking around with a frisbee or golf bag, I expect people to have common items.

Jedrious
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:
Jedrious wrote:

And breaking out switchblades and automatic weapons somehow doesn't make you more memorable? I'm not going to give a second glance to someone walking around with a frisbee or golf bag, I expect people to have common items.

Again, WHO is breaking them out right in the middle of witnesses?

When questioned about seeing where someone came from, who is more likely to be remembered, the guy with loose pants or the guy carrying a frisbee?
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Honestly, I question if most people would believe that someone just cracked someone's skull open with a frisbee. You'd think that if it were seen, everyone would remember it and their testimony would be reliable. In real life though, witness reports to police are often sketchy and don't sync up with one another. One person might say it was a frisbee. Another one might say a brick or whatnot.

I'm not saying they wouldn't remember it at all, mind. Simply that memory is not as reliable as people think it is.
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Nightmask
Palladin

Hibik wrote:Honestly, I question if most people would believe that someone just cracked someone's skull open with a frisbee. You'd think that if it were seen, everyone would remember it and their testimony would be reliable. In real life though, witness reports to police are often sketchy and don't sync up with one another. One person might say it was a frisbee. Another one might say a brick or whatnot.

I'm not saying they wouldn't remember it at all, mind. Simply that memory is not as reliable as people think it is.

Well to anything not supernatural the frisbee is still just a frisbee, it's doing normal frisbee damage. I'm just wondering if anyone's considered these options in order to enhance their arsenal with things that become effective weapons against the supernatural even as the supernatural and others think they aren't or shouldn't be effective weapons.

Nightmask
Palladin

amodernheathen wrote:Haven't done it yet, but now I have this image of a Cult of Night member at the Country Club, using his enchanted golf clubs. Not only is it an innocuous item used for defending himself against mortal assassins, but it also improves his game. The spell not only doubles the power of his strike, it doubles the power of his stroke!

Also good for a well-to-do Seeker, Doppleganger, or ADA

Actually it shouldn't do either of those, since the spell only improves the damage of the item against supernatural things and unless they're using evil supernatural golf balls it shouldn't change things for his golf game either way.

I do like the idea of those enchanted mundane items, where a PC (or NPC depending) has enchanted items all over the place in case of magical threats. So his kitchen knives and rolling pins are potentially lethal against those magical creatures, along with the fireplace poker and his golf clubs.

Nightmask
Palladin

amodernheathen wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
amodernheathen wrote:Haven't done it yet, but now I have this image of a Cult of Night member at the Country Club, using his enchanted golf clubs. Not only is it an innocuous item used for defending himself against mortal assassins, but it also improves his game. The spell not only doubles the power of his strike, it doubles the power of his stroke!

Also good for a well-to-do Seeker, Doppleganger, or ADA

Actually it shouldn't do either of those, since the spell only improves the damage of the item against supernatural things and unless they're using evil supernatural golf balls it shouldn't change things for his golf game either way.

I do like the idea of those enchanted mundane items, where a PC (or NPC depending) has enchanted items all over the place in case of magical threats. So his kitchen knives and rolling pins are potentially lethal against those magical creatures, along with the fireplace poker and his golf clubs.

Yeah, but it'd still be funny. Mostly just a matter of fluff. :P

I can still see the concept as mechanically plausible, however. Damage from an enchanted weapon going a couple of different ways. There's pretty much Force, Penetration, Infusion, and Burn. Force increases the kinetic impact of the weapon, increasing its damage. Penetration changes the "shape" of the impact, acting as though the weapon hits in a more focused manner, Infusion, in which a weapon is surrounded by a mystical field that does the additional damage to the target by transferring energy that does general damage to the entire being, or Burn, in which a mystical field does localized damage to the targeted area. The first type of empowerment would work quite well for cheating at either golf or baseball, the second less so, and the last two would just as likely destroy the ball. It really depends on the fluff that individual Game Masters use for the spell.

As far as which weapon does what, I would probably leave it up to the caster. Either a decision that is built into the spell, or different spells for each type of damage enhancement.

Edited. And of course the golf balls are magical, too! There's no point in not being thorough!

A golf ball can qualify as a weapon, just like sling stones and rocks. I wonder if they constitute a small enough item for the group enchantment option for the spell. Otherwise better off just using the less costly non-permanent version and just re-enchant them from time to time and save the 300 PPE permanent spell for other items.

Nightmask
Palladin

amodernheathen wrote:
Nightmask wrote:A golf ball can qualify as a weapon, just like sling stones and rocks. I wonder if they constitute a small enough item for the group enchantment option for the spell. Otherwise better off just using the less costly non-permanent version and just re-enchant them from time to time and save the 300 PPE permanent spell for other items.

Good thinking! Effective allocation of resources is pivotal!

I could see a paranoid Sorcerer with all sorts of mundane items around his house enchanted to harm supernatural creatures so he could always have in reach something to use as a weapon either because he's low on PPE or his opponent won't be harmed by the spells he has available. I would just love to see in some fantasy or horror film an overconfident supernatural monster attacking the 'crazy prepared' wizard in his house only to find even the ashtray thrown at it inflicting real damage.

Nightmask
Palladin

Wooden Ruler or Yardstick+Ironwood+Enchant Weapon. You now have a wooden measuring stick that's harder than steel and can inflict damage like striking someone with a piece of steel and even does double damage and to everyone around you it just looks like you're carrying a yardstick with you since to all tests other than trying to break it it appears to be nothing more than a regular ruler or yardstick.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Nightmask wrote:Wooden Ruler or Yardstick+Ironwood+Enchant Weapon. You now have a wooden measuring stick that's harder than steel and can inflict damage like striking someone with a piece of steel and even does double damage and to everyone around you it just looks like you're carrying a yardstick with you since to all tests other than trying to break it it appears to be nothing more than a regular ruler or yardstick.

again, walking around with a yardstick is not exactly subtle though.

consider, instead, carrying something like this around if you want to carry something openly. or something like this if you want something concealable.

but seriously, most people *don't* walk around with a golf club or a frying pan or a yardstick everywhere they go. if innocuous is your goal, pick something that people routinely carry around - a briefcase or purse, for example, or a backpack or skateboard. heck, even a belt with a large heavy buckle could be a reasonable possibility. but if you want it to be something you can carry around in plain sight and not have anyone notice, well... let me put it this way. when was the last time you saw someone walk down the street with a golf club (or even a full set of clubs in a bag)? when was the last time you saw an adult walking down the street with a baseball bat in their hand.

now try to consider how often you've seen someone with one of the objects i've just mentioned. odds are good, you've seen it within the past day if you've gone to any place where people gather. you probably didn't even think about it. but just imagine someone walking down the street with golf clubs or a baseball bat, or a yardstick. that's going to stand out. they might be useful as a one-time strategy, but as a general rule? i just don't see it working.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Some of my chars do have magic skillets. Indestructible & +5% to cooking skill. ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Rhomphaia wrote:I once ran a campaign where one of the PCs was a lobotomized Ashmedai who gained the personality of a surfer/stoner. Combine this with a high IQ score and skills focused around basic mechanics, electronics and cooking and your ideas are along some of the more tame thoughts that he had.

Patty would have loved the idea of an enchanted frisbee though.

You can put together some pretty amusing and unique items like that with a little consideration.

Nightmask
Palladin

Shark_Force wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Wooden Ruler or Yardstick+Ironwood+Enchant Weapon. You now have a wooden measuring stick that's harder than steel and can inflict damage like striking someone with a piece of steel and even does double damage and to everyone around you it just looks like you're carrying a yardstick with you since to all tests other than trying to break it it appears to be nothing more than a regular ruler or yardstick.

again, walking around with a yardstick is not exactly subtle though.

consider, instead, carrying something like this around if you want to carry something openly. or something like this if you want something concealable.

but seriously, most people *don't* walk around with a golf club or a frying pan or a yardstick everywhere they go. if innocuous is your goal, pick something that people routinely carry around - a briefcase or purse, for example, or a backpack or skateboard. heck, even a belt with a large heavy buckle could be a reasonable possibility. but if you want it to be something you can carry around in plain sight and not have anyone notice, well... let me put it this way. when was the last time you saw someone walk down the street with a golf club (or even a full set of clubs in a bag)? when was the last time you saw an adult walking down the street with a baseball bat in their hand.

now try to consider how often you've seen someone with one of the objects i've just mentioned. odds are good, you've seen it within the past day if you've gone to any place where people gather. you probably didn't even think about it. but just imagine someone walking down the street with golf clubs or a baseball bat, or a yardstick. that's going to stand out. they might be useful as a one-time strategy, but as a general rule? i just don't see it working.

I think you're overemphasizing how much these things stand out or the degree to which people are going to take notice. You're lucky to get people to even remember what a drive by shooter was driving let alone remember what a guy looked like or think he was really standing out because he had a ruler in his hand walking along.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:I think you're overemphasizing how much these things stand out or the degree to which people are going to take notice. You're lucky to get people to even remember what a drive by shooter was driving let alone remember what a guy looked like or think he was really standing out because he had a ruler in his hand walking along.

there are lots of people driving cars around. there are not a lot of people carrying yardsticks around.

people notice stuff that is out of place. driving a car is not out of place. there is nothing unusual about a drive-by-shooter until he shoots, at which point people's fight-or-flight instinct likely kicks in. by the time the shooter is noticed as being unusual, he's had several seconds to get out of the area before he can be ID'd because most people's first response to a shooting is not "hey, i wonder what make, model, and color that car is". most people will either panic and attempt to hide/take cover, some will run away, some will run to the person who has been shot to try to help them, and almost none will pull out a pad of paper and desperately attempt to scribble down the license plate of the car, or the make and model.

in comparison, the person walking around with a yardstick is unusual the moment you see them, because it isn't a common sight. it doesn't blend in. they might not notice much else about the person, but they will likely remember "the guy with a yardstick" if asked about it.
Nightmask
Palladin

Boatmonger wrote:
Kovoston wrote:Is a walking cane or umbrella out of the question??

I have not read the rules concerning enchanted weapons but in other games the enchanted items are much more durable than ordinary versions of the same thing. On that note, I think the umbrella would be an excellent weapon. It's inconspicuous and under certain circumstances can make a nice make shift shield.

Thanks Kovoston for the interesting idea.

Just watch out for the Penguin, he might sue you for infringing on his trademark. ;-)

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Have a sorceror with a enchanted knuckle duster.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Specter wrote:Have a sorceror with a enchanted knuckle duster.

again, this is situationally viable. are you going to be able to conceal the fact that you are wearing a knuckle duster in the middle of winter outdoors in michigan? sure, no problem.

but gloves are not normal in florida when it's the middle of summer and there's a ton of humidity to go along with the heat.

on the other hand, being quite small even when it's not appropriate to wear them, it is quite reasonable to have them on your person (and again, depending on climate etc, it won't even be the least bit unusual).

certainly it's much less obtrusive then, say, a golf club.

but, here's another idea: steel-toed boots or shoes. you can even get steel-toed dress shoes if needed (though you likely wouldn't want to be wearing them to a really high society event, that likely isn't a major concern for most situations).

in the vast majority of public places, shoes/boots are either the normal thing, or not particularly noteworthy.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Well he doesn't wear the knuckle dusters all the time. He keeps them in a jacket pocket. It's more likely to see a blasting rod in his hand (yeah, I'm totally ripping off Dresden Files with this character, but apparently nobody in my group has read any so I'm getting away with it) the knuckle dusters are for when the fight gets close and personal. He slips then on and goes to town. Still rather mortal so if it comes to the dusters he's probably dead anyway.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nightmask
Palladin

Hmmmm, while watching a TV show got the thought about an enchanted Cheerleader Baton. Those things are generally sturdy metal (and one could easily make one of something sturdier if desired) and people aren't likely to notice someone carrying one around particularly around sporting events or school areas. Someone well-trained could really go to town on a target with them.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:Hmmmm, while watching a TV show got the thought about an enchanted Cheerleader Baton. Those things are generally sturdy metal (and one could easily make one of something sturdier if desired) and people aren't likely to notice someone carrying one around particularly around sporting events or school areas. Someone well-trained could really go to town on a target with them.

in the right areas, yes. not quite as universally accepted as a shoe or something like that though :P
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Greetings!

The ability of an item to go "unnoticed" is NOT just it's size, or general appearance, it is also how the person whom is carrying it is dressed.

If I am wearing a major league (local) baseball shirt, and cap and happen to have an athletics bag with a few baseballs, a bat or two, and a couple of gloves and a hard batters-hat, and I am compleately at ease taking it with me to the coffee shop, book store ECT, then hardly ANYONE is going to notice becuase it's all appropriate together. Carrying the same athletics bag in a business suit is going to get noticed-and fast! Disguise skill is NOT auto-defeated by Hounds, Hunters ECT beacause it isn't a SUPENATURAL disguise, just clothes. My point is: What ever object you wish to carry, dress for it and LIVE the part! A construction worker type guy with a tool belt on his waist as he goes into the coffee shop is hardly going to be noticed, especially if the big stuff isn't in the tool belt-just a few screwdrivers (the enchanted one is going to hurt)!

Thry this and tell us what you think. after all, if it works for you, please share with us you tale of daring do!
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Jedrious
Adventurer

I can see the handyman and toolbelt working, the baseball uniform and gear is seasonally useful, but make sure that the team you display is in the area at the time, costumes make things more viable, but I still prefer more versatile, my characters tend to go around in reinforced motorcycle leathers

Return to “Nightbane®”