TK Super

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Temporalmage
Hero

TK Super

Unread post by Temporalmage »

I know that TK can't be used on yourself...but it can be used on objects.

Questions:
Can you use TK on an object and then "ride" said object; IE: a broom, rug, surfboard, etc using TK??

If the above is possible; what is the max speed and altitude you could achieve??

If the above is not possible...why not?

Thanks!
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
dragonfett
Knight

Re: TK Super

Unread post by dragonfett »

I honestly would have to say no.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I posted once, but that apparently got eaten.

So here we go again....

Read the following post, and the thread that it's in:
viewtopic.php?p=2343662#p234366

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Max™ wrote:The normal TK power has a reduced range for heavy objects.

Bingo!
So anything over 20 lbs has the range reduced to 15'.
Which makes everything click into place.

When trying to use normal TK to move something as heavy as a person, you CAN do it, but it's going to be slowed down simply because the range is slowed down.
If you can normally move an object out to 60' in one attack (2-3 seconds), that's pretty fast.
Roughly 240' per melee round, which comes to 960' per minute, or about 10.9 miles per hour, if I have things right.
(check my math on this ;))

BUT if you drop the range to 1/4 of that, then it's a LOT less useful, moving at only 60' per melee round, or 240' per minute, or about 2.7 miles per hour.
Which is a LOT less useful, slower even than the speed of 6 (about 4 mph) that the MOPs granted.
Which could explain the change from the MOPs to RUE: somebody did enough of the math to know they were way off.
(or they just forgot that they'd ever said it in the first place)
So in RUE, they decided that whatever movement you might be able to accomplish with normal TK, it wouldn't constitute "flying."

Meanwhile, since Super TK lacks that weight restriction, you retain full range of movement regardless of weight, which means that at first level a person with Super TK could move themselves 100' per level.
At first level, this would mean 100' per 2-3 seconds, roughly 400' per melee round, or 1600' per minute, which would come out in the neighborhood of 18.18 miles per hour.
(again, check my math- I'm kinda sleepy)

Not great compared to a jetpack or Fly As The Eagle, but certainly fast enough to constitute "flight."
And since the range increases per level, the speed would be roughly 18 mph per level.

By 5th level, this would be about 90 mph.
By 10th level, this would be about 180 mph.

Which is actually pretty well balanced.

Originally TK had a weight limit, I think 500 lbs.

Hm.
I can't remember seeing that anywhere, but I never really noticed the weight restrictions on range for normal TK either.
Or, at least, I never paid attention to the implications.

If you can remember when and where you saw it, let me know.

When they changed it to an I.S.P. expenditure based weight amount they forgot to remove all the mentions of a weight limit, except the "15 feet" one.

That's the only one that's necessary to solve, I think, all of our problems here.
:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

All covered in the thread that I linked to, I believe, and the post that I cited.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

SamtheDagger wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:All covered in the thread that I linked to, I believe, and the post that I cited.
Well it's a nice summary for people who don't want to read that thread and the long posts that are there (interspersed with a lot of discussions about moving the earth, etc.). But yes, the thread you posted is extremely helpful for those who have to time to read it.

I understand that reading is a difficult, time-consuming task for some people, which is why I summed up the thread's findings by reposting the final result of a discussion that lasted for pages.
Findings that were more specific and helpful than the opinion that you posted on the matter, including not just "I think Super TK should let you fly," but also how flight speed should be determined, and some information that you didn't seem to consider in your own post.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”