Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Starship designs...

Unread post by taalismn »

KLM wrote:Hi there!

taalismn wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:So I take it you like my idea of construction ships?

Yes. I've had a few ideas in my mind on the topic, and the Brunel and Goethal starships were meant as modular repair/tender ships, but larger more traditional flying shipyards were something I wanted to tackle after doing some smaller ships and a few concept craft as lead-up.

And first of all: asteroid eaters.

Adios
KLM

Im actually thinking hollowed-out asteroids with either massdriver drives or contra-gravity propulsion. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

mass driver's as drives will eat up your mass fraction with remass..they've got lousy mass ratios. though they make wonderful defensive weapons.
and i don't think CG drives can be used on ships the size of asteroids, if Braden's bit about dreadnauts in fleets true..

i'd argue that mobile factories aren't really viable except on the smallest product scales (big ships making ammo, basically)
more pluasible for phase world would be mobile repair yards. either battleship sized mobile drydocks able to hold ships up to destroyer sized, or battleship sized docks which open up into open framework around a ship up to batleship sized. either one would have ot have machineshops able to manipulate basic repair parts, and large stocks of strucutral members, hull plating, spare parts, etc..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:mass driver's as drives will eat up your mass fraction with remass..they've got lousy mass ratios. though they make wonderful defensive weapons.
and i don't think CG drives can be used on ships the size of asteroids, if Braden's bit about dreadnauts in fleets true..

i'd argue that mobile factories aren't really viable except on the smallest product scales (big ships making ammo, basically)
more pluasible for phase world would be mobile repair yards. either battleship sized mobile drydocks able to hold ships up to destroyer sized, or battleship sized docks which open up into open framework around a ship up to batleship sized. either one would have ot have machineshops able to manipulate basic repair parts, and large stocks of strucutral members, hull plating, spare parts, etc..

I'll go with magic, then, or handwavium...We KNOW asteroid ships exist in Palladium settings: there's an illo of one in AU Galaxy Guide.
Mobile factories I'd argue are plausible.....if you're mining local asteroids for materials, drag the raw materials in closer to the star where your factory is tapping the local solar power, then you drop your finished goods down the gravity well to your colony/community. A product-flexible mobile manufactory might do well working like a hobo providing certain goods to colonies that find it prohibitively expensive to ship stuff all the way from the homeworlds.
Certain goods aren't likely to be economical to construct this way, though, especially if they require components and materials more easily found on planets; plastics and other petrochemicals(rubber tires!) unless the manufactory can create that stuff from scratch mining comets for the basic building blocks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Braden's bit in fleets just instituted a point of diminishing returns for CG drives. the size at which your energy use expands faster than your thrust. so in theory you could do it, you just have to be willing to put up with wimpy outputs from massive energy sucking drives.

my main bit about "not really viable" has more to do with size vs. storage. it takes alot to produce a technological device. even if you shortcut and assume nano-tech fabrication, our going to have to cart around alot of varied raw material. it's more cost effective to produce something small and simple, like railgun ammo or missiles, than something big and complex. small and simple means less assembly and fewer raw materials (and less varied materials). which means more efficent.

certainly you could say, build a frigate in a factory ship the size of a packmaster carier..but you'd probably only be able to build one or two with onboard materials. with fighters it's unlikely you'd be able to make more than you could have just packed on as cargo..

btw, the ship i've been working on latel for enders cluster could probably be classified as an "asteroid ship. it's a cylinder 60km long by 20km in diameter, rotates at 4 revolutions a minute...and uses a drive system your gonna have to see to beleive.. :)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

..and the slide rules come out... again...
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:..and the slide rules come out... again...

Well, sometimes you gotta have slide rules to make the handwavium gobbledygook look good...and sometimes you gotta have overthinkers so that when you breeze by them while they're still claiming 'that can't be done', 'that isn't efficient', or 'that isn't economically viable', you'll look that much more AWESOME.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
DhAkael wrote:..and the slide rules come out... again...

Well, sometimes you gotta have slide rules to make the handwavium gobbledygook look good...and sometimes you gotta have overthinkers so that when you breeze by them while they're still claiming 'that can't be done', 'that isn't efficient', or 'that isn't economically viable', you'll look that much more AWESOME.

Okay...I can deal with that.
Still hate the slide-rulez though :P

Leaves of the lotus rise

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i prefer calculators to slide rules...my Ti-83 i had to buy for algebra class might as well see SOME use now that i passed.

but generally, a few minutes of googling and some back of the envelope calculations can save alot of face.. it's embaressing if you totally screw up something simple, like listing too many things loaded onto a ship (looking at you, WB7 Ticonderoga!)

that said, i'm a big beleiver in submerging the math as deep into the background as possible. you'll notice if you read my sites phase world stuff, that you only really need basic addition, subtraction, multiplcation, and division.
the most advanced math i have is the "square root" in the transit time table..which is only there as a guide anyway. you can easily ignore it and be safe.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I can see prospecting ships being quite common in places where asteroid prospectors can find and fill their cargo holds with rich finds.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

taalismn wrote:(modified from DhAkael’s original text)

Abyssal Dragon Battleship
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img148.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img149copy.jpg

“We are registering multiple impacts on the enemy facility....ah, we are detecting a cessation of electromagnetic activity at the target site. Multiple short-lived gravitic spikes consistant with the collapse of gravitic forcefields and implosions of singularity powerplants! At least one megaton radiation event.”
“Any drive signatures?”
“None on the planet. All ceased at the same time as the second plasma bombardment. The only technological activity we’re picking up are two of the cruisers, damaged, and attempting to limp out-system.”
“Pursue and finish them off at long range.”
“Very good, War-Captain. Shall we scan and finish off any lifepods?”
“Standard scans only. If any of the brain-eaters have survived, they will know the consequences of raiding in our territory. Let them carry the word to their fellows, if they can, that they are NOT the alpha predators in this Arm!”

The Abyssal Dragon is the Darkwaters’ variant on the Storm Dragon battleship, first introduced by the Hawkmoon clan. Positioning itself as the ‘deep space’ clan, the DarkWaters were pleased with the main firepower of the Storm Dragon, but felt that for such a large ship, its secondary armaments, especially its missile and point defense armaments, were badly lacking, rendering the ship a target to overwhelming swarm tactics. The Abyssal Dragon sought to remedy those shortcomings with a substantial overhaul and refit of the design, meant to increase the original design’s firepower.
The original missile armament has been beefed up; the launchers moved from their positions at the top of the hull to the lateral ‘wing’ nacelles, and both their rate of fire and magazine capacity greatly expanded. The secondary laser armament has been doubled and additional point defense systems have been added. The hangars have also been expanded to carry additional shuttles or fightercraft, depending on available manpower and mission needs. The battleships also benefit from improved construction materials produced by Darkwaters' deep space foundaries, saving considerable mass and reducing weight by almost a factor of five, without sacrificing protection values. The reduction in weight allows for more speed, though still shy of the bone-crushing velocities possible in other SSN ships.
All the added armament comes in an increase in power demand, taxing the engines and diverting power that might otherwise go to improving overall speed in normal space manuevering speed, but the Darkwaters apparently have no problems with that; favoring using the greater missile barrage capacity to hamstring fleeing opponents, then close in for the kill.
The Abyssal Dragon also features an improved FTL drive, allowing for faster supra-light deployments, in keeping with the far-ranging Darkwaters’ deep space doctrines.
Abyssal Dragons have thus far appeared only in the aerospace forces of the Darkwaters. Currently the numbers of Abyssal Dragons to the original Storm Dragon is on the order of one Abyssal for every six Storm Dragons in the Darkwaters’ ranks, but that is expected to change as the Darkwaters gear up for larger-scale production of the improved warship.
Model: ES-SD MK2.0Dw
Class: Battleship
Crew: 400 (10 Warchiefs and 360 Naval trained Warriors, plus 30 Spinsters)
Troops: Standard; 1700, Maximum; 3000. Mixed Warriors (50%), Berserkers (20%), with Male scouts (10%) and NeShemarr (10%); warsteeds are included in the numbers given.
Other combinations may occur dependant on available EctrozShemarr / NeShemarr.

Vehicle Complement:
1 warsteed (varies) for every 3 warriors; appoximately 560+ warsteeds.
6 Scarab Assault-Shuttles (Typically troop-transport model).
24 Fighters(or an additional 8 assault shuttles)

M.D.C./Armor by Location:
Head / Forward 3rd.: 40,000
Hvy. Plasma-Torpedo Ejector (“Mouth” area): 7,500
Antiship Laser Batteries (12): 1,200 each
Heavy Railcannons (4; 2 in each “leg” pod): 2,500 each
Point Deffense Railguns (24): 180 each
Point Defense Turrets(20) 200 each
Long Range Missile Launchers (3; main body): 1,200 each
Launch Bays (2; underside): 2,000 each
Wings (2) 9,000 each
[1] Bridge (between the “shoulders” / Dorsal region) : 20,000
[1] Emergency Bridge(Located in main body): 15,000
[2] Main Body: 100,000
[3] Engineering Section: 50,000
[4] Ventral Leg-Pods (2) 15,000 each
[5] Variable Force Field: 8,000 a side (48,000 Total)

Notes:
[1] In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ships armor. This ship also has an auxiliary bridge. Even if both bridges are destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
[2] Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the vessel out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
[3] Destroying the engineering section means that ship FTL propulsion systems are destroyed and maximum sublight acceleration is reduced to ten percent of normal (using navigational thrusters).
[4] Destroying the two pods will prevent the vessel from landing and destroy the railcannon batteries.
[5] Shield positions are variable and can be combined into one shield. The shields regenerate at a rate of 5% (400 MDC) per melee round.

Speed:
Flying: Mach 12 combat speed. 0.4 sublight speed. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1.2 percent of light per melee. INATMO flight speed is a modest Mach 4 maximum, except for an orbital insertion boost of Mach 9.
FTL: 6 LY / Hr. using CG drive
Range: 10 years at optimal conditions, using both conventional and magical life support. If no organics are present the vessel can operate for three times as long (30 years).
Statistical Data:
Height: 600 feet (183 meters).
Length: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters)
Width: 800 feet (244 meters), with wing span adding an additional 10% when wings unfurled.
Weight: 16 million tons
Cargo: Cargo holds are scattered about the ship that allows for carrying up to 50,000 tons of Cargo in addition to standard compliment of supplies and ammunition
Drive Type(s): Primary; Type-E CG drive rated for factor 500 FTL (5LY / hr.), sublight and atmospheric maneuvering.
Power System: matter/anti-matter reactor with 30 years at maximum output.
Market Cost: Unknown. Estimated at 10 billion Tri-galactic credits if ever sold.

Weapon Systems
1) Heavy Plasma Torpedo Ejector(1)--- Located in the “mouth of the 'dragon is a capitol ship scale version of the plasma torpedo batteries used by the Eshemarr navies. When activated, the forward section of the ‘head’ opens up like a set of jaws and the firing gate is revealed; filled with compressed plasma. A few seconds later the plasma is expelled as a sphere almost 250ft. wide!
This weapon remains unchanged from the original Hawkmoon configuration.
Range: 100 miles in atmosphere, 500 miles (800km) in space; X10 range when in strategic combat.
(Kitsune Values: 100 miles in atmosphere, 100,000 miles in space(1 million miles in strategic/planetary bombardment combat!))
Damage: 2D4X1,000 to a 500ft. (152.4m) radius area! Damage is inflicted to all exposed areas, and in the case of capitol ships, the blast will damage at least 2 shield facings (GM‘s call).
Rate of Fire: 3 per round.
Payload: effectively unlimited, but total of 30 per hour. Recharges at rate of 1 shot every 2 minutes.
Capitol Ship scale= -14 to strike small targets.

2) Concealed Antiship Laser Batteries (12): Located port & starboard (4 dorsal, 4 ventral) with another four mounted in the tail quarter, and covered by folding armour plates are concealed medium laser batteries. Each battery has a 180º arc of fire to either side. Only called shots may damage the guns, and they are -25% to detect closed.
The DarkWaters have TRIPLED the number of these weapons from the original Hawkmoon design. The updated weapons also have a higher rate of fire in keeping with 3G medium laser batteries, while improved targeting reduces the penalties for striking smaller targets.
Range: 20 miles in atmosphere, 55miles (88km) in space;X10 range when in strategic combat
(Kitsune Values: 20 miles in atmosphere, 20,000 miles in space( 200,000 miles in strategic/planetary bombardment combat!))
Damage: 3D6X100 per laser battery shot.
Rate of Fire: 4 shots per battery per melee round
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Capitol Ship scale= -5 to strike small targets.

3) Heavy Railcannon Batteries (2): 1 battery of 2-guns is located in the front of each leg pod, resembling twin toe-claws.
The Shemarrians have an apparent love of heavy projectile weaponry, as almost all of their ships feature, or have been refitted with, a forward battery of heavy rail guns or gravitic cannon. The Stormdragon is no exception, mounting four weapons of roughly GR-3000 class.
These weapons remain unchanged from the original Hawkmoon configuration.
Range: 60 miles in atmosphere, 120 miles in space; X10 in strategic combat.
(Kitsune Values: 60 miles in atmosphere, 60,000 miles in space(600,000 miles in strategic/planetary bombardment combat!))
Damage: 1d6x1,000 MD per round, or can fire a fragmenting anti-missile/fighter shell that does 1d4x100 MD to a 100 ft wide area
Rate of Fire: Four shots per melee, per gun.
Payload: 100rd. magazine per gun, ready to fire. Additional ammunition can be stored as cargo, but will take 45 minutes to reload from stores.
Heavy Ship scale= -11 to strike small targets.

4) GR-100 Grav Autocannon turrets (24): These point defense gravity-guns are spaced evenly across the Stormdragons’ hull to protect from enemy fighters and incoming missile strikes. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
The DarkWaters TRIPLED the original number of these turrets.
Range: 3miles (4.8km) in atmosphere, 6 miles in space.
(Kitsune Values: 3 miles in atmosphere, 300 miles in space)
Damage: 1D6X10 per 10 round burst.
Rate of Fire: 1 burst per action or 4 attacks automated.
Payload: 1000 bursts each.
Light Ship scale= No penalties.
Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

5) Point Defense Turrets(20)---Standard Shemarrian-pattern rail gun/pulse laser combination in a common turret. The Darkwaters added these weapons for additional coverage as they become available and commonplace on Shemarrian warships; they are normally concealed under hull panels
Range: (Rail Gun) 2 miles in atmosphere, 4 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 4 miles in atmosphere, 400 miles in space)
(Laser) 1 mile in atmosphere, 3 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 3 miles in atmosphere, 300 miles in space)
Damage: (Rail Gun)4D6x10 M.D. per blast
(Laser) 3D6x10 M.D. per blast
Rate of Fire: (Rail Gun)EGCHH(4-6)
(Laser) EGCHH (4-6)
Payload: (Rail Gun) 2,000 rd drum. Additional ammunition can be stored as cargo, but will take 45 minutes to reload from stores.
(Laser) Effectively Unlimited

6) Vertical LRM / Torpedo Launchers (3; 1 each wing, one dorsal)---- The original three-tube launchers have been replaced with larger fifteen-tube bateries with larger magazine capacity. Typically these launchers are loaded with plasma or gravitic warheads.
Range: Varies by Missile Type (Long Range)
(Kitsune Values: 3,400 miles in atmosphere, 1,800,000 miles in space)
Damage:Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-15
Payload: 150 missiles per launcher ready to launch(450 total); additional missiles may be carried and loaded from cargo, but will take at least 1 hour(1 ton of cargo per 12 missiles)

Other Systems [In addition to standard starship systems as listed in ‘Fleets of the 3 galaxies’]
ECM generators. Advanced Sensor Package. Geologic Sensors. Targeting and combat computer (+2 to strike, +1 to dodge). Auto-pilot & Supernavigation computer (60% skill). Atmosphere recycling system. 40 staterooms & 360 basic accommodations (troops are housed in barrack style areas). 2 Launch-bays. Artificial gravity. 3 Recreation facilities. 300 Stasis pod facilities. Medical Facility (200 patients). 70 FTL life-boats. FCE pod (bridge unit). Auto-Breach sealing. FTL communications system.

Special Systems
*Onboard Nanofacs---The Stormdragons carry a central axis nanofac assembly line that allows the ship to draw in space debris(including battlefield wreckage), break it down, and convert it into usable material, including rail gun ammunition, new missiles, ship repairs, and crew components.
*Robotics/Bionics Bay----The Stormdragons come with a complete robotics/bionics ‘sickbay’ able to diagnose and repair just about any complaint or damage a SheMar is likely to suffer. The biomechanics bay also has the ability to manufacture and Awake new SheMar and NeSheMar bionic full conversions.
*Command Linkage---The cyber-psionic command and control exercised by the EShemar give them faster response times: +1 to Initiative and +1 to strike.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Tweaked the Abyssal Dragon as per KLM's suggestion, making it lighter. Then upped its speed because of the lowered mass. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Tweaked the Abyssal Dragon as per KLM's suggestion, making it lighter. Then upped its speed because of the lowered mass. :twisted:

I'm keeping it EXACTLY as written :D
No seriously, I've burned it to archive disc.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:Tweaked the Abyssal Dragon as per KLM's suggestion, making it lighter. Then upped its speed because of the lowered mass. :twisted:

I'm keeping it EXACTLY as written :D
No seriously, I've burned it to archive disc.

So we have three versions of the same ship...(shrug)
It will confuse the hell outta the bad guys... :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

maybe there are 3 shipyards, all turning out variations on the same blueprints?

a base model, a 'lighter' model that used better materials to boost speed, and whatever the third version was..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

On Asteroid Eaters:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Braden's bit in fleets just instituted a point of diminishing returns for CG drives. the size at which your energy use expands faster than your thrust. so in theory you could do it, you just have to be willing to put up with wimpy outputs from massive energy sucking drives.

From here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48533
Up until a hundred years ago, it was commonly accepted that a CG-field projector could only be made to encompass a set area and a finite amount of mass. The average limitations were a field diameter of 6000’ and a total mass of 60 million tons. Beyond that, the energy requirements became staggering, and the CG-field stretched too thin to be able to fully cancel out the effect of normal gravitons. To put it simply, if a ship was built bigger than a standard carrier, it could not be wrapped in a contra-gravity field, and thus could not move faster than light.

Now, this only cancels out contragrav FTL propulsion for Asteroid Eaters - but not STL propulsion (thought makes them rather
sluggish).

For FTL I would not worry too much - it takes a long time to deplete a whole solar system, especially
if the dwarven guilds set up shop in a system which does not have formed planets. Also, the UWW prefers
Rift-drives and as per dmb2, pg85, they can open planet-sized rifts.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

From here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48533
Up until a hundred years ago, it was commonly accepted that a CG-field projector could only be made to encompass a set area and a finite amount of mass. The average limitations were a field diameter of 6000’ and a total mass of 60 million tons. Beyond that, the energy requirements became staggering, and the CG-field stretched too thin to be able to fully cancel out the effect of normal gravitons. To put it simply, if a ship was built bigger than a standard carrier, it could not be wrapped in a contra-gravity field, and thus could not move faster than light.

Now, this only cancels out contragrav FTL propulsion for Asteroid Eaters - but not STL propulsion (thought makes them rather
sluggish).

For FTL I would not worry too much - it takes a long time to deplete a whole solar system, especially
if the dwarven guilds set up shop in a system which does not have formed planets. Also, the UWW prefers
Rift-drives and as per dmb2, pg85, they can open planet-sized rifts.

Adios
KLM

Oh well, there's always alien technology and Fold Drives("Hey Dolza, mind if we take a look in your engine room?" 8) )
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I remember a young character I played once who managed to get people with telemechanics within touch of those monsterous ships. I made a mint doing that.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:I remember a young character I played once who managed to get people with telemechanics within touch of those monsterous ships. I made a mint doing that.

Did your fee cover round-trip or just one way? :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL. He wasn't a greedy being. He gave them a round trip for what they were paying.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:LOL. He wasn't a greedy being. He gave them a round trip for what they were paying.

Damn. There goes your nomination for 'Evil Being of the Month'. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

since we're talking about giant sized ships...

i give you The Star wanderers, the most powerful human faction in Ender's cluster.. and their Urbs class sublight generation ships.

btw, i majorly under-gunned the Urbs class...something that big with that drive could carry a lot more of those weapons (and honestly, they should reach a lot farther out...)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

I know what you mean. It's like the weapons systems of the ships of Babylon 5. They had fantastic ranges.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

glitterboy2098 wrote:
btw, i majorly under-gunned the Urbs class...something that big with that drive could carry a lot more of those weapons (and honestly, they should reach a lot farther out...)

At least the canon speeds are also sluggish and this cancels out rockthrowing ranges. :lol:

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

Rock throwing ranges are always bad. At least make it archery ranges. :D

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

one of the reasons i added the bit about being able to fire at longer ranges to my cinematic realism rules. being able to fire 5x, 10x, or even 20x farther out, just with a -4, -9, or -19 to strike respectively...helps make the ranges more usable while avoiding making every battle "he's on the sensor screen...whoops, we killed him!"

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the reasons i added the bit about being able to fire at longer ranges to my cinematic realism rules. being able to fire 5x, 10x, or even 20x farther out, just with a -4, -9, or -19 to strike respectively...

I prefer adding dodge bonuses, even automatic (ie. does not use an action) dodge, instead of strike penalties. IMO, hitting
a stationary target is almost automatic.

helps make the ranges more usable while avoiding making every battle "he's on the sensor screen...whoops, we killed him!"

What's wrong with that? :twisted:

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the reasons i added the bit about being able to fire at longer ranges to my cinematic realism rules. being able to fire 5x, 10x, or even 20x farther out, just with a -4, -9, or -19 to strike respectively...

I prefer adding dodge bonuses, even automatic (ie. does not use an action) dodge, instead of strike penalties. IMO, hitting
a stationary target is almost automatic.
my rules are for ships, not people. kinda hard for a ship 300+ meters long to 'dodge'. making it harder to hit handles works well.

helps make the ranges more usable while avoiding making every battle "he's on the sensor screen...whoops, we killed him!"

What's wrong with that? :twisted:

Adios
KLM
because most people prefer their space combat to (rather unrealistically) occur in ways they can frame visually in movie form. the lack of anything resembling 'cover' or 'camofluage' in space tends to suck the drama out of ultra-long range slugging matches for most people, since very few movies have done such enviroments justice. (i generally point them to certain battles in babylon 5 like the battle of gorash 7...or anime's like Starship operators..)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

But those unrealistic battles are fun. Both fun to play and fun to be involved in. :D

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yea,I love see big mechas fight it out in spacebattles.
Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you Gaby for adding those in. I should have thought about them too.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the reasons i added the bit about being able to fire at longer ranges to my cinematic realism rules. being able to fire 5x, 10x, or even 20x farther out, just with a -4, -9, or -19 to strike respectively...helps make the ranges more usable while avoiding making every battle "he's on the sensor screen...whoops, we killed him!"

Battle of the Blips, dude, Battle of the Blips. To this day the U.S. Navy is STILL unsure of what they were shooting at off the Aleutians. It sure as hell wasn't the Imperial Japanese Navy.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the reasons i added the bit about being able to fire at longer ranges to my cinematic realism rules. being able to fire 5x, 10x, or even 20x farther out, just with a -4, -9, or -19 to strike respectively...helps make the ranges more usable while avoiding making every battle "he's on the sensor screen...whoops, we killed him!"

Battle of the Blips, dude, Battle of the Blips. To this day the U.S. Navy is STILL unsure of what they were shooting at off the Aleutians. It sure as hell wasn't the Imperial Japanese Navy.

i'd have used the Gulf of Tonkin incident as an example.

in space though, sensors are extremely powerful, and there is no terrain, no stealth, no cover, and little weather to degrade them.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

glitterboy2098 wrote:in space though, sensors are extremely powerful, and there is no terrain, no stealth, no cover, and little weather to degrade them.

Invisibility Superior? Hide in Space?

Seriously - magic using fleets in the 3Galaxies aren't the ultimate power (by the fact of magic use). So, we have to tweak reality
a bit for the sake of "world balance".

Thermodynamics is a good thing - yet one is supposed to be able to fire his NG ion blaster without asbest gloves or serious burns.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Well, you can argue that ambient magical levels aren't consitant in space, so recharging the PPE generators isn't always a done deal, and those spells, applied to larger vessels, are PPE expensive. Kinda like the old U-boats spending time on the surface recharging their batteries, and necessitating heavy deck gun armaments...until somebody invents the snorkel. So those magically-stealthed vessels have to choose their times carefully to 'run silent, run deep'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Welcome back Taalismnn. I hope your vacation has refreshed your batteries. I'm working on a few little projects I hope to add here in the near future.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

taalismn wrote:Well, you can argue that ambient magical levels aren't consitant in space, so recharging the PPE generators isn't always a done deal, and those spells, applied to larger vessels, are PPE expensive. Kinda like the old U-boats spending time on the surface recharging their batteries, and necessitating heavy deck gun armaments...until somebody invents the snorkel. So those magically-stealthed vessels have to choose their times carefully to 'run silent, run deep'.

While this is an idea worth to be explored, but having the magical equivalent of repression fields does not solve
the problem of the aforementioned NG ion blaster.

Problem: it looks like, no directed energy weapon or drive system can exceed 90% efficiency even in theory.
Therefore ships must radiate vast amount of heat, making stealth in space impossible.
Now, the aforementioned ion blaster pistol does 3d6 MD per shot. So, in average, 1 MD worth of heat
energy/damage will be radiated from it after every shot (prolly more waste heat, bleeding out on a bigger
area and over a longer timeframe). One shot per hand, except in asbest gloves? :badbad:

So, obviously since NG is way too primitive technologically to leak heat - say - into another dimension,
they can create stuff over 90% efficiency. Say 99,9%. Or we dump the setting (ie. Rifts Earth).

But the powers of the 3Galaxies are way more advanced than that fledging postapocaliptic city state...
...oops, their ships became stealthy, since they do not radiate heat (well, they do, but less than 1%).

Oh, and they have force fields, so the can leak out heat in very specific directions.

This also lowers detection chance - or effective range if you prefer.

ADios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

there are many ways to deal with heat though. in space, you have to radiate (let the energy differential generate photons), there really isn't another decent means.
but you can store the heat in a heatsink and release it again slowly over time.
you can use fans or pumps to move gas or liquid over. but in space this requires carrying expendable material for each shot.

for planetary weapoons, like the NG laser pistols, the heat could be trapped by a heatsink then dispersed using a compressor to draw air (or water) from the outside and run it over the heat exchangers. each firing would basically be followed by it getting slightly warmer and then the whirring sound of fans as air is pumped in, and a hiss as hot air is vented (IM, from vents near the front of the weapon)

diode pumpled solid state lasers (the most compact and efficenct method) have a upper bound efficency of 80%. so when you've got about 10kilojoules being input into the weapon per MD point, that would mean 8kj going down range at the target, and about 2kj being wasted, mostly as heat. (some would turn into other forms, but we'll ignore that at the moment. Em radiation and such can be sheilded against, and the sheilding usually turns it to heat, for example..)

2kj of heat is alot, but a decent heatsink using forced convection could deal with it pretty quick. one would have to be wary of the exhust from the cooling system, but the overall temp wouldn't be much more than a conventional oven or car exhust..

this would however have some side effects for weapon use. use the weapon too long without a chance to cool down completely could cause it's systems to malfunction. do that too often it might stop working altogether.
and it's use in a vacuum would be an automatic malfunction unless you have a coolant supply add on that flushes a supply of gas or liquid through the system with each shot. (which would be an interesting dynamic for phaseworld and MiO)

i'd imagine the weapons are designed to not fire if the heat level is too high..a safety measure to prevent it from damaging itself. (say, no more than half it's payload in the space of a minute/4 melees.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

"Well, we got the Golden Shot off and killed those guys before they knew we were here...problem is the heatsinks backed up and we fried half the crew."
"Acceptable losses. They were redshirts."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Good thing that they were red shirts. Whatever happened to Duckfoot? He was always wandering around here somewhere.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

glitterboy2098 wrote:diode pumpled solid state lasers (the most compact and efficenct method) have a upper bound efficency of 80%. so when you've got about 10kilojoules being input into the weapon per MD point, that would mean 8kj going down range at the target, and about 2kj being wasted, mostly as heat. (....)

8 kilojoules is the energy needed to raise the temperature of a glass of water (2 dl, 200 grams)
from 25 degrees Celsius (room temp.) to 35 C (slight less than body temp). About running my
kitchen microwave for 10 seconds.

A bit less than I expected from 1 point of mega-damage... :eek:

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

The following space ships are the products of a ship design rule set (made by KLM and I).

Stallion class multi-enviroment light shuttle family

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/6542701679/in/photostream

The Stallion class is an economic, relatively fast and cheap light shuttle design, used for intra system passenger transport, be able to carry small amounts of various cargoes, dropping satellites or perform short range patrol missions. Thanks to its small size and light weight, this class of ship can be placed almost any larger ship to serve as a small supply ship, rescue vessel or as the captain's yacht. Several variantions found their way into military forces with additional weapons and reinforced hull. The multi enviroment design allows the craft to move even underwater conditions (up to 5,000 feet deep). The shuttle family or similar designs – even knock-offs – are rather widespread in the 3 Galaxies.

Unlike modern light shuttle designs the Stallion class uses combined drives. The combination of advanced ion drives (use Hydrogen fuel) and a low performance contra-gravity drive system gives this class of ships great speed in space, good acceleration and above average speed in atmosphere. While this combination limits the shuttle range (due to the limited amount of fuel), on the other hand it lowers price considerably. With standard fuel tanks this small ship is able to maintain its maximum speed up to 25 hours.

The ship uses a very slow, old contra gravity FTL drive system to reduce the intra system travel time. The maximum speed of the FTL drive is limited to 1 Astronomical Unit (AU) per second (92,955,630 miles/150,000,000 km). The drive runs from its own batteries (enough for 18 hours of continous use which means 1 light-year range) and it is not connected to the reactor (cost-cutting and space saving solution). After 18 hours of use the drive system shuts down and the batteries need 12 hours to recharge.

The shuttle is fitted with only one door/ramp on its rear, although the cockpit can be opened, but has no airlock. The passengers, the crew and the cargo too, use the back mounted door. The pilot and co-pilot sit one behind the other and the one who sits behind, is in higher place in the cockpit of the shuttle. Often these shuttles are operated by only a pilot.

The Stallion is armed and has a basic force field. Its armament contains two automated particle beam turrets (ventral and dorsal) and two light missile launchers (bracketing the cockpit).

While most of these shuttles can not be distinguished from the outside, their functions and their interiors are totally different. Regardless of the sub-types all interiors designed to be relatively comfortable for large (like wolfen and kreeghor) sized or smaller (like humans) races.

The first sub-variant on the market is a passenger shuttle focused on intra system passenger transportation at the highest comfort (something like the first class on our own world's planes). Carries up to 40 passengers (wolfen sized or smaller) in comfortable conditions, along with their packages (up to 10 tons of cargo; two small cargo holds each with 10' length x 10' width x 10' height), 4 stweards/stewardesses, a kitchenette (and food preparatory area) and four freshers (each has a single toilet and a sink with its own water supplies).

The second one is a cargo hauler type, used for short range cargo transportation. The cargo hauler variant can carry up to 25 tons in its large cargo bay (35' length x 30' width x 10' height), along with 5 passengers in a separated small passenger section (this section has a single fresher too) and two loading robots/mini tugs.

The third, and most popular variant is a combination of the passenger shuttle and the cargo hauler. Ideal for fast passenger and cargo transport runs, easy to modify to specific tasks (like Med-EVAC, survey, patrol). Carries up to 20 passengers in comfortable conditions, or 30 passengers in less comfortable conditions (similar to the bussiness class terms of our own world's airplanes), 2 stewards, the four freshers, the kitchen and up to 15 tons of cargo in its cargo bays (2 bays, each with 20' length x 12.5' width x 10' height).

The fourth type designed for the wealthy customers but often used as a courier ship. This is a small, comfortable personal yacht, equipped with luxurious interior, a true FTL drive, stronger reactor, better life support systems and more fuel capacity. In this configuration the ship interior equipped with a comfortable stateroom (holds two sleeping areas, each for two people, two showers and two freshers, a small kitchen with dining room for four people), a study, a small recreation room and a cargo hold (same as that one found on the passenger variant cargo hold). All these systems together extends the shuttle's range, comfort level, but increase its price significantly.

The fifth and last variant designed for military and para-military use. This shuttle has a reinforced hull, additional weapon systems, better communication and electronic warfare systems. Equipped with stealth coating and a hull breach mechanism for boarding operations. Its interior redesigned for 30 passengers (seated on military style benches) and 10 power armored troopers. The cargo hold large enough (25' x 15' x 10') to hold another 10 power armors or several hover bikes or up to 10 tons of various cargoes.

Model Type: LMES-P(passenger variant), LMES-Ca(cargo hauler), LMES-Co(combined variant), LMES-Y (yacht variant), LMES-Mi (military)
Vehicle Type: Light Multi-enviroment Shuttle
Crew: Two (Can be run by one)
Passengers: Depending on configuration (from 4 to 40)

M.D.C. by location (the first number for the P/Ca/Co/Y variants, the second for the Mi variant):
Particle Beam Turrets (2, all variants) – 100 each / 100 each
Concealed GR-1000 (2, Mi variant only) – 200 each
Missile launchers (2, P/Ca/Co/Y variants) – 40 each
Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, Mi variant only, replace the missile launchers) – 150
Reinforced Pilot Compartments – 150 / 150
Cockpit – 240 / 300
Landing gears (4) – 20 / 30
Rear Door – 90 / 200
[1] Main Body – 900 / 1,350
[2] Basic Force Field – 1,500 / 1,500
Engines – 200 / 300
Notes:
[1] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the shuttle out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[2] Shield positions cannot be varied. Shield regenerate at the rate of 25% (375 M.D.C.) per melee

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Using both engines the maximum speed is 10 Mach. Using only the ion drives limits the maximum speed to 6 Mach while using only the contra gravity drive limits the maximum speed to 4 Mach.
FTL propulsion: 1 AU/sec. Yachts have 2.5 ligh-years per hour drives (run by batteries, 5 hours operation time, 5 hours recharge time)
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is Mach Two (1,483 mph / 2,386.6 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav.
Underwater Propulsion: Maximum speed is 100 knots (185 kmh)
Maximum Range: Has supplies for crew members and passengers for about one week (two weeks for the yacht variant).

Statistical Data:
Length: 65 feet (19.8 meters).
Height: Total height is 15 feet (4.5 meters) including turrets and landing gears, the main hull is 11 feet (3.3 meters) high
Width: 45 feet (13.7 meters)
Weight: 50 metric tons
Power System: Fusion with 25 year life span.
Fuel: 3,330 lbs (about 1,500 kg). Yacht variants carries 5 tons of reaction mass.
Fuel consumption: 22.2 lbs (10 kg) per Mach per hour
Cargo: Cargo sizes depending on configuration (10 tons to 25 tons).
Market Cost: 20 million for the passenger/cargo/combined variants, 30 million for yacht and the military variant.
Refuelling cost: 500 credits for 1 ton of Hydrogen fuel

Weapon Systems:
Automated Particle Beam cannon turrets (2):
Weapon system is used as an anti-missile, anti-power armor, and anti-star fighter. Weapons system has no minuses to hit fighters and small targets and each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Each mount is controlled by a separate gunner program (5 Attacks per Melee, +4 to Strike, +2 to Initiative). Each cannon able to switch between concentrated mode and diffuse fire option.
Range: 5 miles (8 km) in space and 2.5 miles (4 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 M.D.C. each in concentrated mode or 2D6 M.D.C. to everything in a 60 feet cone up to half range.
Rate of Fire: 5.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.

Concealed GR-1000 cannons (2, Mi variant only):
These guns are the main anti ship weapons of the military variant shuttle. Used most of the time against fighters from long range or for strafing against larger ships. The guns can be used by the pilot or the co-pilot and placed under the cockpit.
Range: 16 miles (25.6 km) in space, 8 miles (12.8 km) in atmosphere
Mega Damage: 4D6x10 M.D.C. each
Rate of Fire: Up to 6 per melee
Payload: The shuttle carries enough ammunition for 500 attacks by each cannon (1000 attacks total).

Missile Batteries (2, P/Ca/Co/Y variants):
Mini Missile launchers mounted on each side of the cockpit, these missiles are normally for point defense against enemy fighters and missiles. The battery can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. The weapon mounts are normally controlled by the pilot or co-pilot.
Range: As per missiles
Mega-Damage: varies with mini-missile type
Rate of Fire: Each can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4 or 8 missiles (16 missiles if both launchers combined)
Payload: 48 each launcher for 96 mini-missiles total. Additional mini-missiles can be carried in the cargo hold of the shuttle but reloading launcher from cargo hold takes 1D6 minutes. The Mi variant

Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, Mi variant only):
Medium range missile launchers mounted on each side of the cockpit, these missiles are for long range anti-fighter attacks and for light bombing runs. The battery can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. The weapon mounts are normally controlled by the pilot or co-pilot.
Mega-Damage: varies with missile type
Rate of Fire: Each can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 8 or 16 missiles (32 missiles if both launchers combined)
Payload: 48 each launcher for 96 missiles total. Additional missiles can be carried in the cargo hold of the shuttle but reloading launcher from cargo hold takes 1D6 minutes.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Standard sensory system with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range
Communication System – Standard civilian system with 250,000 miles (400,000 km) range. No Ftl communication. The Mi variant have a stronger, hardened (lowers the negative modifier of the communication jamming attacks by 10%) communication system with 350,000 miles range (560,000 km).
Electronic Warfare System – ECM system. A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
Jamming Set (Mi variant only) – The jamming set can focus its emissions to overload enemy sensors and controlling systems. This gives the ship an electronic attack capability and requires Electronic Countermeasures skill roll. A successful roll suppresses enemy sensors for 3D4 rounds (45 to 180 seconds). While suppressed, the enemy gunners attack precision and attack rate lowered (-3 to Strike, loses one attack), the pilots response time increased and their ship controlling skills are weakened temporary (loses one attack, -10% to all piloting skill rolls and -3 to Dodge rolls) due to electronic system disturbances. The jamming set has a range of 2,500 miles (4,000 km) and able to jam up to 2 targets at a time (need to roll separately for all).
Communication Jamming System (Mi variant only) – The communication jamming system is designed for scrambling enemy communications (-30% to any communication skill based rolls for the enemy/foreign ships, failed communication roll means cancelled video communication and even the audio messages are hard to understand). Scrambles all foreign communications within 2,500 miles (4,000 km) range.
Stealth Coating (Mi variant only) – Military grade stealth coating, same as those found on the CCW and TGE military vessels (-60% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is standing still, and -30% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is moving.). When the ship loose 25% of its maximum M.D.C., the detection difficulty modifiers are lowered to one half. Loosing 50% or more of its M.D.C., means the detection difficulty is lowered to one quarter of its starting value, while loosing more than 75% of the hull M.D.C. makes the stealth coating virtually useless (grants only 1/10th of its basic detection difficulty value).
Hull breach mechanism (Mi variant only) - To help the boarding operations, the designers built a breach mechanism into the shuttle's hull. This additional system found on the bottom side of the ship and leads to the passenger bay of the shuttle. Around the airlock, the designers placed a very short ranged (10 feet/3 meters range) fusion cutter as a hull breach system. After the cutter breach through the target's hull (do 5D6x10 M.D. per melee), unfold a rectractable M.D.C. foil tent extends over the breach, providing an airlock. Have 10 M.D.C. retracted, but only 2 M.D.C. to puncture if folded out. Through this airlock the onboard marines able to attack the target ship and begin the boarding operation.

Bonuses:
The advanced ion drive system gives the ship above average acceleration (2.5 Mach per melee) in space and better handling (+20% to pilot skill rolls).
Last edited by sagajr on Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 am, edited 11 times in total.
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Privateer class Transport Ship and the Mercenary class Assault Transport

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7573073778/in/photostream

These class of ships has been being available on the market from more than 150 years, and gained fame for their reliability even in seemingly hopeless situations. Strong hull, impressive cargo capacity, and efficient power system make this transport a perfect choice for traders heading from the safe core worlds to the remote and dangerous border worlds. The commonly sold craft holds a softspot in the hearts of traders of all stripes and affiliations.

The venerable Privateer class transport was designed under a construction philosophy based upon the conservation of scarce mineral resources. Designed for rugged use, the vessel comes with a hull armoured to withstand minor impacts and the occasional border world arguments, plus enough protection in the form of 7 hardpoints to make most pirates think twice.

In the economy of the Three Galaxies, all power blocks and stellar empires benefit from the everyday service of this small craft. Not a flashy ship, the Privateer is the mainstay of many shipping corporation within the known space.

This two decked ultra efficient transport vessel has recive wide demand from modern day trading markets. Agile, compact and containing great cargo capacity, a deceptively sturdy hull the vessel comes at low price.

The living areas of this ship contains enough cabins for 20 people, 1 kitchen with galley, a recreation room, 4 freshers and a workshop. The crew use stairs to move between levels.
The large cargo area (nearly the whole lower level), designed to take the any standard cargo crate or any type of cargo in an easily accessible pressurised bay. This vessel maximises trading profits for all forms of trade.
Most of the avionics and support systems placed on the second (living)level. The ship comes with two airlocks, placed on the upper level, close to the bridge.

The Privateer also comes equipped as standard with 4 escape capsules and a patented, dedicated computer controlled landing gear system with over twice the standard landing gear units. This makes its ground pressure equal to that of the human foot. So now you can get one up on those other traders by landing in those hard to get places without the need for a dedicated landing platform.

The most popular modification based on the Privateer is used by the various militaries as a cheap alternative of the assault shuttles (these variants called as Mercenaries), transporting their tanks and mechanized infantry to the battle zones.
While the Mercenary is indistinguishable from (at least from the outside) the Privateer, this ship sacrificed its crew compartments, most of its life support capacity, 90% of its fuel capacity and all its escape pods for stronger armor plates, stronger shields and medical bay.
The interior of this craft designed for transport 5 medical crew, 160 combat troopers (including 80 power armored troopers) and their vehicles to combat zones. The upper level modified to seat 160 foot soldiers, has 4 large rooms dedicated to the power armors and bikes (these rooms have concealed doors where the troopers left the ship to attack the enemy, each room stores 5 hover bikes) and contains a small cargo hold (100 tons capacity, 25'x40'x10') to store additional ammunition and and additional group of 20 hover bikes (the bikes can be moved to the power armor holding area to launch from there). The lower level dedicated to combat vehicles. This area has the same size as the one found aboard the Privateer (140'x75'x20.25'). The large cargo hold door/ramp (25'x60') facilitates the release of the vehicles. This lower, large cargo hold may carry up to 1,000 tons of various materials, and vehicles (up to 20 feet high).

Model Type: PcTS (Privateer), McAT(Mercenary)
Vehicle Type: Light Transport Vessel / Assault Transport
Crew: 5 (Pilot, co-pilot and three dedicated gunners who acts as mechanics and cargo masters, can be run by a crew of two)
Passengers: Depending on configuration (15 or 170)

M.D.C. by location (Privateer / Mercenary):
Concealed Particle Beam Point Defense Turrets (2) – 100 each
GR-1000 Turret (1, top mounted) – 300
Particle Beam Turrets (2, side mounted) – 300 each
Medium Range Missile Launchers (2) – 150 each / 200 each
Small Bridge – 440 / 550
Landing gears (4) – 60 / 80 each
Front Cargo Door/ramp – 340 / 450
Outer Hull (100 square feet) – 40 / 80
Interior bulkheads (100 square feet) – 15
Concealed power armor bay doors (McAT only) – 80 each
Airlocks (2) – 40 / 80 each
Comunication relay – 110 / 150
Sensor relay – 110 / 150
[1] Main Body – 2,250 / 3,050
[2] Basic Force Field – 5,000 / 6,000
Engines – 470 / 640
Notes:
[1] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the shuttle out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[2] Shield positions cannot be varied. Shield regenerate at the rate of 25% (1,250/1,500 M.D.C.) per melee

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Using both engines the maximum speed is 10 Mach. Using only the ion drives limits the maximum speed to 8 Mach while using only the contra gravity drive limits the maximum speed to 2 Mach.
FTL propulsion: Phase Drive with 3.5 ligh-years per hour maximum speed.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 500 mph (800 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav.
Maximum Range: The Privateer carries enough supplies to sustain its crew and passengers (20 people total) for 6 months. The Mercenary carries low amount of supplies, may sustain its crew and passengers (270 people total) for about a week.

Statistical Data:
Length: 171 feet (52 meters).
Height: Total height is 35 feet (10.68 meters) including turrets and landing gears
Width: 85 feet (26 meters)
Weight: 2,000 metric tons with fully loaded cargo hold
Power System: Fusion with 25 year life span.
Fuel: 55 tons for Privateer, 5 tons for Mercenary
Fuel consumption: 111.1 lbs (50 kg) per Mach per hour
Cargo: Depending on configuration (1,175 tons for Privateer, 1,100 tons for Mercenary). Size of the Cargo Hold 140'x75'x20.25'. The Mercenary have an additional small cargo hold in the upper level with the size of 25'x40'x10'.
Market Cost: 65 million for the Privateer, 85 million for the Mercenary
Refuelling cost: 500 credits for 1 ton of Hydrogen fuel

Weapon Systems:
GR-1000 cannon turret (1, placed on top of the bridge):
This turret mounted gun used most of the time against fighters from long range or used as a heavy damage dealer against larger ships. The gun can be used by a dedicated gunner or remote controlled from the cockpit. The turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
Range: 16 miles (25.6 km) in space, 8 miles (12.8 km) in atmosphere
Mega Damage: 4D6x10 M.D.C. each
Payload: The ship carries enough ammunition for 1000 attacks

Particle Beam cannon turrets (2, side mounted, 1 on starboard, 1 on port side):
These turrets are the main energy weapons of the ship used against various enemies even against surface targets. Both turrets operated by a dedicated gunner but each can be remote controlled from the bridge. Each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
Range: 10 miles (16 km) in space, 5 miles (8 km) in atmosphere
Mega Damage: 3D6x10 M.D.C. each

Concealed Particle Beam cannon turrets (2, one placed under the bridge, one placed on top of the engine section):
Weapon system is used as an anti-missile, anti-power armor, and anti-star fighter. Weapons system has no minuses to hit fighters and small targets and each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Each mount is controlled by a separate gunner program (5 Attacks per Melee, +4 to Strike, +2 to Initiative). Each cannon able to switch between concentrated mode and diffuse fire option.
Range: 5 miles (8 km) in space and 2.5 miles (4 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 M.D.C. each in concentrated mode or 2D6 M.D.C. to everything in a 60 feet cone up to half range.
Rate of Fire: 5.

Medium Range Missile Launchers (2):
Medium range missile launchers, mounted on the front side of the ship, these missiles are for long range anti-fighter attacks and for light bombing runs. The battery can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. The weapon mounts are normally controlled by the pilot or co-pilot or a dedicated gunner.
Mega-Damage: varies with missile type
Rate of Fire: Each can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 8 or 16 missiles (32 missiles if both launchers combined)
Payload: 64 each launcher for 128 missiles total (the Mercenary carries additional 128 missiles).

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Extended range sensory system with 350,000 miles (560,000 km) range and 2 light-years Ftl detection
Communication System – Standard civilian system with 250,000 miles (400,000 km) range. No Ftl communication. The Mercenary have a stronger, hardened (lowers the negative modifier of the communication jamming attacks by 10%) communication system with 350,000 miles range (560,000 km).
Electronic Warfare System – ECM system. A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
Stealth Coating (Mercenary only) – Paramilitary grade stealth coating (same as those found on the runners ships, -40% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is standing still, and -20% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is moving.). When the ship loose 25% of its maximum M.D.C., the detection difficulty modifiers are lowered to one half. Loosing 50% or more of its M.D.C., means the detection difficulty is lowered to one quarter of its starting value, while loosing more than 75% of the hull M.D.C. makes the stealth coating virtually useless (grants only 1/10th of its basic detection difficulty value).

Bonuses:
The advanced ion drive system gives the ship above average acceleration (2.5 Mach per melee) in space and better handling (+20% to pilot skill rolls).
Last edited by sagajr on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
taalismn
Priest

All RIIIIIGGHHHTTTTTTTT!!!!! Fresh Meat! :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

KLM wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:diode pumpled solid state lasers (the most compact and efficenct method) have a upper bound efficency of 80%. so when you've got about 10kilojoules being input into the weapon per MD point, that would mean 8kj going down range at the target, and about 2kj being wasted, mostly as heat. (....)

8 kilojoules is the energy needed to raise the temperature of a glass of water (2 dl, 200 grams)
from 25 degrees Celsius (room temp.) to 35 C (slight less than body temp). About running my

Adios
KLM

it's all about concentration. unlike a microwave, all that energy is being delivered in microseconds to an area only a few mm's across.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
KLM wrote:

Adios
KLM

it's all about concentration. unlike a microwave, all that energy is being delivered in microseconds to an area only a few mm's across.

No its not. One has to deliver enough energy - short beam dwell time and focused impact area helps, but cannot lower energy need
under a certain limit. 8kJ is simply not enough in terms of thermal energy for 1 MD.

As a matter of fact, if it were kinetic energy, it would put it between an assault rifle (about 2 kJoules, 4d6 sdc) and the .50 BMG
(15-18kJoules, doing 7d6 sdc) - kinetic energy however is way more effective for putting holes into metal. Or bodies.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

I like your ships. Welcome to the thread! Please keep more ships coming. It is a huge universe and diversity is always nice to see. So please keep them coming.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*nods in approval* Brauva! :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Thank you Aramanthus.
I plan to describe another five ships (using the same lower than average tech level drive systems, representing the less advanced civilizations of the Three Galaxies) soon.
One will be a patrol/escort frigate (to fill the gap between the average sub-capital attack craft, like the Hunter destroyer, and the Scimitar class like heavy patrol vessels).
The next will be a long range scout/survey ship ideal for a small adventurer party (its main purpose is scouting and survey new planetary systems, do science researches in space and can be used as a first contact ship).
The remaining three ships will be fighters. 1 heavy fighter (with a crew of two, balanced armament to hunt down annoying fighters and do severe damage to sub-capital class vessels), 1 interceptor/space superiority fighter (high speed, good maneuverability and average damage dealing) and finally a short range defense/swarm fighter (lightweight, very small frame, limited range, limited firepower, no onboard reactor, use battery and capacitors, very low price).
All ships have advantages and flaws too (when we compare them to the canon fighters).

The stats are ready (that was the easy part), but the description need some additional work.
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:Greetings!

Thank you Aramanthus.
I plan to describe another five ships (using the same lower than average tech level drive systems, representing the less advanced civilizations of the Three Galaxies) soon.
One will be a patrol/escort frigate (to fill the gap between the average sub-capital attack craft, like the Hunter destroyer, and the Scimitar class like heavy patrol vessels).
The next will be a long range scout/survey ship ideal for a small adventurer party (its main purpose is scouting and survey new planetary systems, do science researches in space and can be used as a first contact ship).
The remaining three ships will be fighters. 1 heavy fighter (with a crew of two, balanced armament to hunt down annoying fighters and do severe damage to sub-capital class vessels), 1 interceptor/space superiority fighter (high speed, good maneuverability and average damage dealing) and finally a short range defense/swarm fighter (lightweight, very small frame, limited range, limited firepower, no onboard reactor, use battery and capacitors, very low price).
All ships have advantages and flaws too (when we compare them to the canon fighters).

The stats are ready (that was the easy part), but the description need some additional work.

It's grinding through stats that's my problem... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

taalismn wrote:It's grinding through stats that's my problem... :D

To eliminate this problem, we (KLM and I) created a realive detailed ship desing rule set (try to remain as close as possible to the PW style ships). :D :wink:
To create a ship, with all the neccessary stats (size, mass, energy consuption, weapons, shields, supply systems, accommodation, onboard facilities) takes a little time (from minutes to an hour). My main problem is to formulate the description in English... :-P

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”