Frustration, little help?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Frustration, little help?

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Hey Guys,
I am about to start my first online game tomorrow and I'm really excited about it but I'm having a really hard time finding a decent online character sheet for a giant robot pilot. Its like all the fillable character sheets are for psychics or mages and have a huge parts of their pages dedicated to this and it makes filling them out a pain in the ass because I don't like loading a 7-page character sheet and being constantly forced to sifting through it to find the info I want. I can see how it could all nicely fit on 1 or 2 pages but thats just not how it works.

Also, I've found more often than not the areas for mecha and giant robots always has more complications than are necessary. I'd almost prefer if they had left them blank so I can fill in the location names myself. I tried putting one together myself... but as it turns out of my many skills that isnt yet one of them. Does anyone have a good (and simple) fallible character sheet that is well suited to the Robot Pilot OCC?

Something nice and simple that will just allow me to fill in the fields and be done with it?

So far this is by far the best character sheet I have found: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37430199/RiftsCS.pdf

The first couple of pages are perfect, its just the vehicle and robot sections are very clumsy by comparison.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
flatline
Knight

Re: Frustration, little help?

Unread post by flatline »

Holy Cow! When did Rifts character sheets get so complicated? That PDF you linked was half a dozen pages long!

I just write up all my characters in a text file following mostly the same format as how NPCs are listed in the books. Each spell/psionic/natural ability/weapon/vehicle/whatever gets it's own line and, perhaps, an indented block of text with details so that I don't need to reference my books at all while playing. Over time the equipment and spells section can get pretty big, but never very complicated.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Notepad, I swear by it.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I like all those. All the important bits and still fits on one sheet of paper (duplex).

I went through a phase where I kept my characters on a stack of 3x5s. I even got to recycle 3x5s if consecutive characters had overlapping powers or equipment, but it didn't scale. That's when I started just keeping my characters in text files on my computer.

I love Vim.

--flatline

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

heres what i do......I write them down on paper....with a pen for the things not likely to change and pencil for the things that will change as the character goes up in level
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

finn69 wrote:heres what i do......I write them down on paper....with a pen for the things not likely to change and pencil for the things that will change as the character goes up in level

That's the system that's worked for me since 1985, over many MANY games of different genre and I'm not about to change it.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
finn69 wrote:heres what i do......I write them down on paper....with a pen for the things not likely to change and pencil for the things that will change as the character goes up in level

That's the system that's worked for me since 1985, over many MANY games of different genre and I'm not about to change it.

I used to do that to, but then I took an arrow to the knee. Now I just use MS Word. If I need to print it out, I make a copy and then delete all the numbers and other things that can change. A good thing about this method is that I can type up the full descriptions for OCC/RCC powers instead of trying to cram it all it to those pathetically small lines all the character sheets have, or the character sheets leave out.

Return to “Rifts®”