So about the Norse Giants...?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SamBell
Explorer
Comment: What is grief, if not love preserving?

So about the Norse Giants...?

Unread post by SamBell »

So they have a table to roll random things, so I was curious, if I roll the extra pair of arms twice does it stack? Because that would mean six arms, so thatd be really cool, so if anyone could give me some insight, id love it!! And by noe you should realize: I love giants lol.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61- Colonel Cambell
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: So about the Norse Giants...?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think you have your giants mixed up.. the giants of norse mythology were the Jotun (or Jotan, as they're called in some of the PFRPG books). they're your typical 'really big humans' in the game.

i think your talking about the Gigantes, which have connections to greek mythology. in palladium the Gigantes suffer fairly major mutations as a race.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
wonderdog
D-Bee

Unread post by wonderdog »

doesnt say so technically probably.
but as a gm id probably say reroll.
depending on how you interpret the rcc, says has two attacks without any training, or two plus those gained from hth and/or boxing.
does that mean 2 + the 4 from hth or are those 2 part of the whole revamp of hth's going from 2 to 4 in the first place.
so you could be looking at 6 attacks plus 2 for each additional set of arms. twice gives you 10 attacks without even adding boxing yet.
that seems like alot considering you havent picked an occ yet.

oh and glitterboy no he's referring to the norse giants in pantheons of the megaverse
winning isnt a some of the time thing. its an all the time thing. we dont win...once in a while.
we dont do the right thing...once in a while.
we do the right thing...all of the time.
winning is a habit.
unfortunately, so is losing
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

wonderdog wrote:
oh and glitterboy no he's referring to the norse giants in pantheons of the megaverse

too many darn giants..

looking at the table in that book, i don't know where Mr. carella got those powers.. half of them (mostly the ones that make them look bizzare) have zero basis in the mythology.. in the saga's and folklore the Jotunr were basically large (sometimes very large) humans, similar to the Aesir and Vanir, and with similar shapeshifting powers. the aesir and vanir in fact were originally called giants before they were called gods, and the only difference between the two seems to have been the aesir and vanir had greater knowledge of magic, and clearly defined roles in the norse religions.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SamBell
Explorer
Comment: What is grief, if not love preserving?

Unread post by SamBell »

What if I said I rolled it three times??? (that means eight arms!!)
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61- Colonel Cambell
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
wonderdog wrote:

too many darn giants..

looking at the table in that book, i don't know where Mr. carella got those powers.. half of them (mostly the ones that make them look bizzare) have zero basis in the mythology.. in the saga's and folklore the Jotunr were basically large (sometimes very large) humans, similar to the Aesir and Vanir, and with similar shapeshifting powers. the aesir and vanir in fact were originally called giants before they were called gods, and the only difference between the two seems to have been the aesir and vanir had greater knowledge of magic, and clearly defined roles in the norse religions.

Really? You should go back and look into the language translations, giant, elf, dwarf, troll, all use the same words.........
wonderdog
D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:
wonderdog wrote:

too many darn giants..

the folklore should be more represented by the giants in the conversion book, and the pantheons book hints at that by saying the lesser norse giants were the algor, nimro, jotan and gigantes. the greater norse giants are, and im no expert, perhaps something he created for pantheons of the megavers out of his own mind for some suped up giants.
winning isnt a some of the time thing. its an all the time thing. we dont win...once in a while.
winning is a habit.
wonderdog
D-Bee

SamBell wrote:What if I said I rolled it three times??? (that means eight arms!!)

well considering the book states you can roll or choose, if your going to allow it then 3 works too.
of course you are missing out on a chance to gain some other pretty cool stuff too, but hey, 8 arms, 6 bonus attacks and +6 to parry is pretty hawt regardless.
your looking at 12 attacks plus one for boxing, plus possibly an occ bonus attack. could be looking at 14 attacks at lvl 1
winning is a habit.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

boxee wrote:Really? You should go back and look into the language translations, giant, elf, dwarf, troll, all use the same words.........
It is interesting how many things that we now consider distinct and different from each other were originally lumped together.

wonderdog wrote:the folklore should be more represented by the giants in the conversion book, and the pantheons book hints at that by saying the lesser norse giants were the algor, nimro, jotan and gigantes. the greater norse giants are, and im no expert, perhaps something he created for pantheons of the megavers out of his own mind for some suped up giants.
It doesn't just hint, it says outright to assume them for the 'lesser giants'. As for the greater giants, it looks like it is following the phrasing that lumped giants, demons, and monsters together. Often terribly monstrous creatures that terrorized and threatened man and gods alike that needed to be overcome by skald-worthy heroes. Covering a range from very large evil humanoid, to huge squid man-beasts, to the inspiration for terrifying xenomorphs everywhere, Grendel.

wonderdog wrote:
SamBell wrote:What if I said I rolled it three times??? (that means eight arms!!)
well considering the book states you can roll or choose, if your going to allow it then 3 works too.
of course you are missing out on a chance to gain some other pretty cool stuff too, but hey, 8 arms, 6 bonus attacks and +6 to parry is pretty hawt regardless.
your looking at 12 attacks plus one for boxing, plus possibly an occ bonus attack. could be looking at 14 attacks at lvl 1
Indeed, he'd be like a junior 'Hundred-Handed' giant. :lol: :ok:
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

boxee wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
wonderdog wrote:

too many darn giants..

Really? You should go back and look into the language translations, giant, elf, dwarf, troll, all use the same words.........

have looked into translations actually, well before this discussion.
in order..
Jotunr
Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar, depending on type ('dark' and 'light' elves were both in the mythology..the distinction seemed to be between those freindly with the gods and those that were not)
Svartalfar or Dverger, depending on the writer of the edda..

of the list, only the term troll (or trold, or trow, depending on dialect) was a catchall term.. to scandinavians 'troll' was a general term much like we'd use the term 'monster, and included Jette (big ugly men who turned to stone in sunlight), Vaetter (little almost hobbit like folk), Huldrafolk ('hidden folk'..depending on regions there ranged from women with hollow backs or cowtails all the way to Fae-type humanoids with immense magic powers), changelings (humans raised by 'trolls', who generally gain special powers), the tomte/Nisse (little men who tend to wear pointy hats and help out around houses. kinda like the russian domovoi, but they look like santa's helpers [mainly because that xmas element comes from finnish folklore]), the Nix (a water dwelling evil humanoid that lures people to their deaths, often using using music), the Tunkall (a creature that can turn invisible and inhabits abandoned buildings), etc...

in more recent times scandinavian folklore tends to lump giants, elves, and dwarves in with the 'trolls', but more ancient practice seems to have had more distinction in most cases, though the use of kennings in the saga's sometimes muddles the waters a bit.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:have looked into translations actually, well before this discussion.
in order..
Jotunr
Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar, depending on type ('dark' and 'light' elves were both in the mythology..the distinction seemed to be between those freindly with the gods and those that were not)
Svartalfar or Dverger, depending on the writer of the edda..

of the list, only the term troll (or trold, or trow, depending on dialect) was a catchall term.. to scandinavians 'troll' was a general term much like we'd use the term 'monster, and included Jette (big ugly men who turned to stone in sunlight), Vaetter (little almost hobbit like folk), Huldrafolk ('hidden folk'..depending on regions there ranged from women with hollow backs or cowtails all the way to Fae-type humanoids with immense magic powers), changelings (humans raised by 'trolls', who generally gain special powers), the tomte/Nisse (little men who tend to wear pointy hats and help out around houses. kinda like the russian domovoi, but they look like santa's helpers [mainly because that xmas element comes from finnish folklore]), the Nix (a water dwelling evil humanoid that lures people to their deaths, often using using music), the Tunkall (a creature that can turn invisible and inhabits abandoned buildings), etc...

in more recent times scandinavian folklore tends to lump giants, elves, and dwarves in with the 'trolls', but more ancient practice seems to have had more distinction in most cases, though the use of kennings in the saga's sometimes muddles the waters a bit.
=)

I'll just note over here that I'm ecstatic this post came from the guy who's doing the Rifts: Scandinavia book. We're all sure you have a "life" and "friends" and stuff, but why not put that on hold and crank this baby out? :D
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Well, I usually make every norse giant unique. I wouldn't want to make Utgard-Loki pissed, and most of the other legendary norse giants were equally ridiculous.
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Whatever works, this is one of those character races that can be a lot of fun to mess around with. Make it one of the exceptional/leader ones (with x10 or so MDC), then go to the World Tree process that just happens to be from the same dimension to gain full spell casting abilities and more (if it survives the process). Have it only be 10 feet tall (the shortest innate I believe) to better fit in elsewhere.

Just some quick, plausible, and contextually appropriate tidbits for folks considering this character race.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

yes norse giants can have six arms. i play a norse giant reaver assassin. love having thousands of mdc and an autododge.lol

Return to “Rifts®”