Quick Summoner question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Skottomania
D-Bee

Quick Summoner question

Unread post by Skottomania »

As far as summoning circles go, the book (PFRPG 2nd Ed.) is pretty straightforward. The only one I'm having some trouble with is the Summon Elemental Forces circle (pg. 146). It functions a bit differently from the other summoning circles in that instead of summoning a creature of some sort, it allows the Summoner to basically cast some wizard and warlock elemental spells ("summoning the elemental forces"). My question is how long can the Summoner continue to cast the spells and summon the elemental forces? The duration for summoning circles is "Permanent until destroyed or deactivated by the circle maker". Can the Summoner use the circle, and thus the spells, indefinitely then? I'm assuming the circle provides the P.P.E. for the spells like the other circles do. The description says, "ONE elemental magic can be cast every minute (4 melee rounds). Several long-lasting elemental spells can be in effect at the same time as long as they don't contradict each other (i.e. rain storm and drought)." However, it doesn't say anything about how long the circle lasts, how many spells the Summoner can cast (how many elemental forces s/he can summon), or anything of that nature.

Is this circle basically a license to cast free elemental magic once it's been activated?
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west." - Led Zeppelin

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear." - H.P. Lovecraft
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Quick Summoner question

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

IMO...

Lasts as long as you like.

Summoner doesnt need any additional PPE other than circle activation.

Limits are that he summoner must be in the circle.

Undecided but maybe - once summoner leaves, circle needs to be reactivated?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Skottomania
D-Bee

Unread post by Skottomania »

Level one Earthquake and Tornado?

Hell yes.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west." - Led Zeppelin

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear." - H.P. Lovecraft
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Offically yes, once you activate the Summon Elemental Forces circle you can cast any of the listed spells indefinatly.

No, this isn't really broken. all it means is the enemy needs to retreat and come back with a plan.

A circle mage of high level and an established base with ample resources should be one of the most terrifying foes in palladium.

Problem is, they're shackled to it. Their home is a fortress, but like any stationary fort, it can be taken down eventually.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

twhaley wrote:
Offically yes, once you activate the Summon Elemental Forces circle you can cast any of the listed spells indefinatly.

No, this isn't really broken. all it means is the enemy needs to retreat and come back with a plan.

Hah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa! Hah ha ha ha ha ha haaa!Hah ha ha ha.....
Wait, you're being serious?

It is Nekira, She never jokes about rules.
And she is right...
that circle is strong but limited...
It is not that hard to get around, You just have to understand the limits of the magic.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

A summoner is quite powerful once he has a few levels and some power circles. You only need the scrying one to send your minions after a target.

Kill a powerful wizard? Cut his tongue out and you know his spells (good to have a diabolist make it permanent), makes for cautious wizards around diabolists.

Summoners are dangerous and rightly feared, but yes, they hate to travel.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

The key to beating a summoner is surprise. Yes, the circle is extremely powerful. If he has time to prepare it and do his little ritual.

If it's in his home base, thats great.. but being an ADVENTURER, how often is he going to be sitting at home?
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Goliath Strongarm wrote:The key to beating a summoner is surprise. Yes, the circle is extremely powerful. If he has time to prepare it and do his little ritual.

If it's in his home base, thats great.. but being an ADVENTURER, how often is he going to be sitting at home?

Then all you have to deal with are his minions!
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

you have to get a little crafty, but some circles can easily become mobile. Summon Elemental Forces only requires a hawk and some gems I think. It wouldnt be too bad to scribe it on a leather mat and roll it up to travel :D
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Torval »

X'Zanthar wrote:Kill a powerful wizard? Cut his tongue out and you know his spells (good to have a diabolist make it permanent), makes for cautious wizards around diabolists.

Sorry to revive an old thread; however, was the quoted comment supposed to be sarcasm or am I missing some amazing way to harness spell magic? What good would cutting his tongue out do? And what role would the diabolist play in that situation?

I have never seen or heard of this being done. Someone help enlighten me?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Torval wrote:
X'Zanthar wrote:Kill a powerful wizard? Cut his tongue out and you know his spells (good to have a diabolist make it permanent), makes for cautious wizards around diabolists.

Sorry to revive an old thread; however, was the quoted comment supposed to be sarcasm or am I missing some amazing way to harness spell magic? What good would cutting his tongue out do? And what role would the diabolist play in that situation?

It's the circle of knowledge but you need to burn the wizards tongue for it to work so it couldnt be permanent.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

The Dark Elf wrote:
Torval wrote:

It's the circle of knowledge but you need to burn the wizards tongue for it to work so it couldnt be permanent.

Burning the tongue activates the circle. Duration is based on level, not tongue burning time, "Abilities last indefinitely while the Summoner and/or others allowed in the circle remain in the circle, but lasts 10 minutes per level of the circle maker upon leaving the circle." (Circle of Knowledge, PFRPG Main Book, pg 152)

So a ward making it permanent should work, at least IOG. It is not a game breaker, the circle would probably not be mobile, but if it is, you still need PPE for the spells. Though scroll making, transcribing spells etc are other options.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

X'Zanthar wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
Torval wrote:

Burning the tongue activates the circle. Duration is based on level, not tongue burning time, "Abilities last indefinitely while the Summoner and/or others allowed in the circle remain in the circle, but lasts 10 minutes per level of the circle maker upon leaving the circle." (Circle of Knowledge, PFRPG Main Book, pg 152)

So a ward making it permanent should work, at least IOG. It is not a game breaker, the circle would probably not be mobile, but if it is, you still need PPE for the spells. Though scroll making, transcribing spells etc are other options.

I'll concede that. I was thinking of a ward on the tongue for some reason.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Torval »

Ah, very good. Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense now.

You two rock. :D
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Starmage21 wrote:you have to get a little crafty, but some circles can easily become mobile. Summon Elemental Forces only requires a hawk and some gems I think. It wouldnt be too bad to scribe it on a leather mat and roll it up to travel :D

Any crease or brake in it or the like and it becomes useless. However, wooden platform that could be carried, with a power matrix and several phantom footmen to carry it, um that could make for an interesting game. However, one MUST SLEEP! Invisibility superior, to assassinate him or her, unless mind you a sanctum spell had been cast. At which point you would need to know negate magic or find someone who was a "negamagical". Either way, you would have to something to warrant it. Summoners aren't all bad.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”