Favorite Published NPC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Favorite Published NPC

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Did a search and didn't see this one, though it sounds kinda familiar. Of course there are so many "favorite" lists. Anyway...

Have to go with Vyur Kly and The Confessor.

Vyur because up until I read VK (original), CK's were my favorite class. I was all excited to read up on this Raoul Lazarious when I got the book and then my hopes were dashed to find him an evil scumbag. Flipping the page I find the group portrait with standing behind Carlotta and I think to myself, "He even looks kinda lame for a cyber-knight," and deemed him not worth my attention. But lo, only 4 pages later I read about this drinking and partying psi-stalking bad-ass who fought off a vampire horde on Eagle Peak and I was hooked. I could see those two flaming swords at work. I was 13 and 1993 was a good year for me (Please don't ruin this fond memory for me Vampire Kingdoms Sourcebook).

Love The Confessor because of the grungy hardboiled look and the all evil must die zeal.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Favorite Published NPC

Unread post by finn69 »

THRAXUS from 3 galaxies......he has PANACHE
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Favorite Publish NPC?

Umm...Ironically not many of the publish NPC's interest me. Prosek while a character that could have intense depth and better usage is washed over by his 'I'm a nazi and meglomaniac' **** that the writers saddled him with. Joe II is alot of the same. Published NPC's for the CS(my faction of choice if I'm not playing in the New West) are all pretty light on anything approaching a personality, or real motivations beyond kneejerk nazi cliches. General Holmes should be dead and so I don't include him, as I still disagree with the notion that he and his troops survived.

King Creed ironically was interesting, but they tried to parallel him to much, so he turns from an interesting NPC to a Prosek carbon copy(Oh yes the irony that he's a magic user isn't lost on me, but still he's just a copy of Prosek)

I hate Erin Tarn, just because. That extends to anyone associated with her.(Like her Cyberknight 'bodyguard', Pluto, Etc.

IDK, it's less whose my favorite, and 'which NPC do you least detest?' in that case it's a toss up between Katrina Sun, or perhaps the Sargent in the story of Tolkeen.
Last edited by Ravenwing on Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I like that Dogboy that is pretending to be a God in Pantheons.
A factory-standard Dogboy who thinks he is capable of keeping up that ruse is awesome :D.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Doc Rodriguez 'Roddy' Heston and 'Shakes'.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Gamer wrote:Doc Rodriguez 'Roddy' Heston and 'Shakes'.

Def like Shakes. A crazy who loves using explosives and has no skill in them is pretty awsome. And he has that sweet sweet bowler.
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Don't have the name available but its an Unprincipled Coalition States officer from WB13:Lone Star. Essentially he is considered a 'saint' by the other officers, who are mostly Aberrant or more evil alignments. He is slowly going mad from all the evil he is expected to do as a CS officer. Basically its a great example for anyone looking for an essential insight into the literally 'evil' nature of the Coalition States.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

random_username wrote:Don't have the name available but its an Unprincipled Coalition States officer from WB13:Lone Star. Essentially he is considered a 'saint' by the other officers, who are mostly Aberrant or more evil alignments. He is slowly going mad from all the evil he is expected to do as a CS officer. Basically its a great example for anyone looking for an essential insight into the literally 'evil' nature of the Coalition States.

Col 'Ironside Buck Murphy (IIRC on the name.) I'd say he's my least favorite CS NPC, primarily because he's so very cliche.
The man is a soldier, soldiers do bad things to bad people, sometimes good people get caught in the middle. The Colonels story made me shake my head and go 'Yeah thats not a CS officer.' and then promptly ignore him.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

My personal favorite is Inglix the Mad. :twisted:
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Gabriel Prescott Davenport III, mainly because he was a former character of mine.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
zaccheus
Explorer

Unread post by zaccheus »

Mines always been Archie. Sourcebook one has also always been my favorite rifts book. I bought it with the RMB, I thin that was almost 20 years ago
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

From Rifter #34, Operation Holy House (which is all official source material for Arzno btw): Yankee Team

From Arzno itself: Manheim's Man-Hunters

Also like -
Lone Star: Lianna the Wild (became an integral part of my CS game years back)
Final Siege: Corin Scard (mainly because I had a character with a grudge against him)

and from the Siege series - Deon Canton
The Galactus Kid

Dustin Fireblade wrote:From Rifter #34, Operation Holy House (which is all official source material for Arzno btw): Yankee Team

Also like -
Lone Star: Lianna the Wild (became an integral part of my CS game years back)
Final Siege: Corin Scard (mainly because I had a character with a grudge against him)

and from the Siege series - Deon Canton

I forgot Operation Holy House was official. I need to go re-read that.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

EnlightenedVagabond
Wanderer
Comment: The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep...

Unread post by EnlightenedVagabond »

Essai Ramirez and his "Dark Minions of the NIGHT!!!!" loved using him against my first PC group ever, was an amazing over the top combat.
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Winterhawk wrote:Desmond Bradford.

Without a doubt, has to be this man right here.

Cana the Blind is a distant second
Insert philosophical quote here
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Archie
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:From Rifter #34, Operation Holy House (which is all official source material for Arzno btw): Yankee Team

Secondhand Smoke wrote:Cana the Blind is a distant second

Was searching for something else and came across these. Made my day. Thanks for the love, and I'm glad you dig them. :ok:

As Dustin is aware, his favorites are homages to my favorite Rifts game ever, which he greatly participated in.

Cana is one of my favorites as well. In a book where all of the villains, for the most part, are in some way "backwards," I loved writing a soothsayer whose prophecies make him cynical and complacent instead of wise. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

General Micander Drogue & Lt. General Kira Moss from Coalition Overkill, SoT.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Gabriel Prescott Davenport III, mainly because he was a former character of mine.

Really?!

I hate him so much. Thats nothing on you GK but I really really do not like him or the leader of the White Rose Knights (Colt). They're the only NPCs in all of Rifts that I actually sat back and thought "How can I come up with someone evil who could manipulate the Player Characters's into fighting these guys and would they be capable of killing them."

I love the White Rose Knights (though I feel a lot of their power is not justified as I do with the Mystic Knights) but their Leadership seems... not good. Maybe it was just the way I was reading them or something but I LOVE Madhaven in a BIG, BIG way but yeah... those two NPC's (not what they have done but who they are) irk me and I do not feel either are well-suited to running a secret organization of do-gooders.

Please, refute me. By no means am I hung up on this belief as religious fact. Its just Grabriel especially stank to me of someone who would inadvertently be responsible for exposing them and the collapse of the order.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
The Galactus Kid

Gabriel was a character of mine when he was a HU2 character. His Rifts incarnation is a little different.

Just so I am able to provide clarification:
What in particular do you not like about the characters?

What makes one or the other more likely to expose the group?

Akashic Soldier
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:Gabriel was a character of mine when he was a HU2 character. His Rifts incarnation is a little different.

Just so I am able to provide clarification:
What in particular do you not like about the characters?

What makes one or the other more likely to expose the group?

Gabriel is a lunatic that believes he is an Arch-Angel he glows like the sun and is uncompromising in his convictions, to me it was rather clear that his loyalty was to his own personal delusion... THEN to the Order and as someone who is suffering from a mental illness anyone with a little bit of experience being a manipulative bastard (a half dozen Mystic Knights raise their hands) should be able to play into that delusion to get information out him. Even if that was not his intention. Also, because he is barking mad and it specifically says that he cannot be convinced that he is who he was (presumably your former PC :lol: ) he is going to react violently to anyone trying to bring him back to reality. The Arch-Angel complex (I refer to the psychological condition) is very dangerous and more frighteningly unreasonable and the longer he indulges his belief the worse he will become until (unless he already has) he is completely lost to his delusion wherein he will begin formulating his own sense of right and wrong in service to the greater good which is where serial killers come from and as we know serial killers leave behind a mess and on top of everything he is not going to be subtle about it and is powerful enough that he does not NEED to be. That was my main issue with Gabriel. He seemed like "a good person" with an interesting past who is now thoroughly batsh!t insane and no longer grounded in reality while commanding vast power (I refer to other Knights and not his superhuman abilities).

As for Colt, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY liked Colt and I thought that he was cool and then I read he was magically M.D.C. and had the girls which were the only known modern rune weapons and it ruined it for me. I felt like he was already really really interesting and cool and had a great motivation and there was just no reason to stack more onto him. I do not believe he will compromise the security of the Order to the same degree that Gabriel can (and inevitably will as he spirals ever-deeper into his madness) but the fact that he magically transformed with no real reason is the kind of thing that said to me "He was replaced by something and that's not really him anymore" or "Forces beyond your ken have bestowed him with power" which never comes without a cost. At least that is how I run Rifts... especially where Orsis is involved (if only ever-so subtly). I was most slighted by Colt who from his write up went from being really cool to PET NPC without any real justifiable explanation. He was already awesome--so why give him more? Is the only way you can be cool in Rifts to have Supernatural Strength and MDC? (rhetoric)

Needless to say, I don't agree.

Anyway I hope this has helped. Again, Madhaven is my favorite setting book (more so than Atlantis just slightly because players can be intrinsically involved with what is going on there more easily) and that is where I run my game. "Paradise City" was set in Madhaven and that was the central hub of my game from the first session I ever ran. I love it. So just because I do not like the two NPC's do not think I don't LOVE the rest of the book. Well, besides the fact that I do not agree with how powerful the Order is... though that is more a product of the Mystic Knight than you guys. I also do not agree with that. If the Ley Line Walker is not immune to the harm from a Ley Line Storm and Ley Lines are his WHOLE thing "mercenary fighter-wizards" should not be.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
The Galactus Kid

Ah ok. Check your PM box in a bit.

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Desmon Bradford.
Why?
He is Morgan Freeman, amped up to 12 (on a scale of 5), with Lex luthor from the WB animated Superman mixed in.
THEN we add in his intelect and Xanatos-Speedchess tactics.
Seriously, I may HATE the CS (Siege of Tolkeen CS anyhoo), but THIS one? Yeah, He outclasses the Prosseks by a factor of 10-to-the-quadrillionth power ;)
No superweapons, powers or rampaging hordes of neo-nazi mooks either (aside from base security).
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Akashic Soldier
Knight

DhAkael wrote:Desmon Bradford.
Why?
He is Morgan Freeman, amped up to 12 (on a scale of 5), with Lex luthor from the WB animated Superman mixed in.
Seriously, I may HATE the CS (Siege of Tolkeen CS anyhoo), but THIS one? Yeah, He outclasses the Prosseks by a factor of 10-to-the-quadrillionth power ;)
No superweapons, powers or rampaging hordes of neo-nazi mooks either (aside from base security).

Was I that transparent?! *pulls at his collar* :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

DhAkael wrote:Desmon Bradford.
Why?

You never know, he may have been slipping a 'serve me above all others' gene into the Dog Boys and have a ready-made slave army if he ever had to regrettably turn on his fellow 'god'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

I can't recall her name, but she is a member of one of the mercenary groups, Robot Control maybe? She has been alive since long before the Cataclysm. As far as I know we never get any information about what race she is, but she has always inteigued me!

Another, this sort of qualifies, would be any Temporal Shaman character :-)
Nightmask
Palladin

Dr Megaverse wrote:I can't recall her name, but she is a member of one of the mercenary groups, Robot Control maybe? She has been alive since long before the Cataclysm. As far as I know we never get any information about what race she is, but she has always inteigued me!

She's with the Demon Busters actually, I can't find the book but offhand I think she's called 'Beautiful Dreamer', effectively immortal and while her offshoot race isn't given a name they give quick-roll stats for other members of the race a GM decides to introduce.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Nightmask wrote:
Dr Megaverse wrote:I can't recall her name, but she is a member of one of the mercenary groups, Robot Control maybe? She has been alive since long before the Cataclysm. As far as I know we never get any information about what race she is, but she has always inteigued me!

She's with the Demon Busters actually, I can't find the book but offhand I think she's called 'Beautiful Dreamer', effectively immortal and while her offshoot race isn't given a name they give quick-roll stats for other members of the race a GM decides to introduce.

The "Lost One" is the race and "The Dreamer" is the only given name.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Nightmask
Palladin

Ice Dragon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

The "Lost One" is the race and "The Dreamer" is the only given name.

So wasn't too far off in remembering. I wonder how they manage to hook up and reproduce (and why do writers seem to always have it that immortal or nigh-immortal beings have a nearly zero reproductive rate).

Return to “Rifts®”