Power stunts

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Power stunts

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

I've heard power stunts metioned before. Where do I find rules for them.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Power stunts

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The old Marvel Superheroes game produced by TSR in the 1980s.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Basically a character could attempt to use a power in a way different than the usual way, provided they had the karma (Marvel's do-everything spendable experience points) and it was remotely possible with the power in question. So you couldn't take resistance to toxins and power stunt flying but you could take general telekinesis and power stunt any power one could expect from it like flying or making force fields or force bolts. After enough tries (10, successful or otherwise) you learned it well enough that you considered it established and didn't have to spend anything else on it, provided it wasn't a one-off you can't reproduce (GM discretion).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Yeah, power stunts aren't really a thing that Heroes Unlimited has.

If, for example, you had the power of Magnetism and wanted to use it to instantly make yourself a suit of armour, you'd have to also have Matter Expulsion: Metal, as Magnetism doesn't offer such an ability: basically, you combine your starting powers or (potentially) add another power later on to get the effects you want, rather than learn to use your original powers in new ways.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

The problem is that in heroes unlimited there really isn't much level progression. When you find it its the exception rather than the rule.

Going back a few years to marvels system, you could spend your karma to do just about anything...from make your powers more powerful, to gaining new powers, to gaining contacts...to increasing your stats.

Comparing the two systems, Marvel seems to have had a much better system in terms of level progression.

A Level 15 full conversion cyborg has few differences from a level 1 borg in the PB system...In Marvel there would be a drastic difference.

If you search power stunts you will probably find something on these boards where you gain 1/level or something like that.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

Thanks For the response all.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:Thanks For the response all.

You're welcome. You can find out more about power stunts and the Marvel system in general at classicmarvelforever.com
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I use something called Power Control
it is a derived stat from ME+PE/2 to represent your ability focus and physical ability to withstand the forces you summon
The bonus is the same as any other bonus.
You add this plus your level to any attack rolls
To attempt a new effect, multiply the PC by 5%, +5% per level. Look at the wizard new spell table to determine possible effects.
some are might be double damage, no damage, hurts self, extra long duration, can't turn it off, etc.
Penalties:
Never tried before-5
Trying something above your level-20
Easy-5
Simple-10
Moderate-25
Difficult-50
Hard-75
Very Hard-100
Extremely Hard-150
Nearly Impossible-200
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”