Psi-guild

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DiceCollector
Wanderer

Psi-guild

Unread post by DiceCollector »

I am playing a Mind-mage and would like to start my own guild. Any ideas? The town we started in only has 5 psionics in it. What should the guild have? (Cool hats, Robes) Will there be any bonuses for being in the guild?
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Re: Psi-guild

Unread post by sHaka »

I would have thought that the main advantage of the guild is mutual cooperation amongst it's members, being able to share information, resources and contacts, not just cool hats. With time you could reruit more members and slowly start to spread your influence into town/city/state/national politics.

I don't have Rifts: Psyscape - but aren't there rules in there for advance psionic training? Perhaps eventually, and with suitably experienced guild members, research into expanding ones powers and understanding of psionics could be another boon of so many psychics working together?

You could also increase your network if you allowed in other members - psi-mystics for example, and then there's always the possibility, depending on the overall guild alignment, of having a legion of mind controlled/blackmailed minions. I would have thought that would be quite easy for a psi-guild to pull off. Or perhpas a less sinister guild could bring in decent profits pimping out their psi-healers? Or selling exotic experiences provided by their illusionists?

A psi-guild could make the local status quo nervous however, so you would have to tread with caution initially I would think...but the possibilities are very interesting!
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

sHaka wrote:I don't have Rifts: Psyscape - but aren't there rules in there for advance psionic training?

Where????? :? I have Pyscape and can't find any but I am so hoping that you are correct! If anyone else can confirm this is accurate or not pls tell me.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

i've actually got a guild of highly skilled Psi-Assassins in my game world... very nasty :twisted:
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

First rule of Psi-club: You don't talk about Psi-club. Second rule of Psi-club: You DON'T talk about Psi-club.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

gaaahhhh wrote:First rule of Psi-club: You don't talk about Psi-club. Second rule of Psi-club: You DON'T talk about Psi-club.

Third rule of Psi-club: you don't THINK about Psi-club.

....not with out mind block auto-defence anyway.

Dark Elf - maybe I'm wrong but isn't there third eye opening rules or something? Never picked up the book cos of the repeated poor reviews I've read and there's other books higher up on the priority list.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Fourth rule of psi club, you just got Mind wiped.....What do you think now??
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

A PSI-Guild would probably have to be hidden because the powers that be would probably try to squash it if it became common knowledge.

I will reference The western empire sourcebook for a point. If the Other houses had been aware of how powerfull a Psychic/Psi User that Itomas Was/Is, they would have never allowed House Itomas to become the Imperial House regardless of the wishes of the dying Emperor. They would have aserted that the dying emperor was mind controled into granting house itomas imperial status.

Similar to the Changling history presented in the sourcebook "Island at the edge of the world". Even though the Royal family had always been changlings, it was assumed that the Royal family was murdered and replaced by changlings which is what started the world wide hatred and persacution of changlings.
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Eryk Stormbright wrote:i've actually got a guild of highly skilled Psi-Assassins in my game world... very nasty :twisted:

Hmm, we have them in our game too. Nasty bunch.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe they can be Sell-Psi,/Mercenaries type of things,ofering the abilities for those who are willing to pay,doing jobs like killing someone,Sping,and traing a potential Psi.They may keep it secert that every member is a Psi and pass themselves off as Normal Mercenaries.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I think you could try taking a more mundane approach. Most psionics aren't all that sinister, and many are exclusively beneficial. I imagine that a psi-guild might be significantly less sinister or feared than a magic guild.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

The guild meetings would all be done in telepathy

Remember the club in the film Constatine whereby entry was only allowed if you could mind read the image on a card? - They would have that!

Drinks would only be served using telekinessis

Card games would be very quick (he's bluffing; Yeh, I know...)

There would be meditative rooms, Psi-sword practice rooms and a list of objects that the locals leave with the guild to obtain an object read on. then the Mind mages perform pyshcometry and catalogue the wares.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

The Dark Elf wrote:Card games would be very quick (he's bluffing; Yeh, I know...)

This would actually make the games long, as no one would be able to bluff- it would be purely chance- Man, I wish this was real! I would definitely be up for a pure chance game of cards, no bluff allowed (because you could not get away with it)
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I also think make the Psi-guild into a shcool,where they offer to teach and trained young Psis,who powers just have manifested themselves and help direct the abilities into different PCC like Psi-Healer,Mind Mage and so on.
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

DiceCollector wrote:I am playing a Mind-mage and would like to start my own guild. Any ideas? The town we started in only has 5 psionics in it. What should the guild have? (Cool hats, Robes) Will there be any bonuses for being in the guild?

First, who are the other 5 psionics and what are they currently doing?

Second, any mystical Guild worth it's name has cool Robes and Hats. The initiates love that stuff, don't be cheap.

Are there bonuses for being in the guild--dude, you're starting the guild...you tell the newbies what bonuses they get, regardless of it being true or not.

Are you evil? Take over a thief/assassin guild with your mind powers, then take over the town council then...live like kings.

Are you selfish? Take over gambling. No one cheats in the places you protect.

Are you good? Erm--fight crime, I guess.

Of course, there's always gonna be those rogue Telepaths who don't want to join your guild, or people threatening to expose you, or mystical threats trying to take over "your" city, or all kinds of things. Sounds like a good way to start a bunch of adventures.

Do the rest of the players want to stay in that town and build up their own power bases? SOUNDS AWESOME!

Do the rest of them want to go wandering to find things to kill/stuff to take? Save it for when they're ready to settle down.

The Rifts Adventure Book has rules for Guilds/Secret Societies--it's Rifts, but should be translatable to Palladium fairly easily.

Sounds like fun--don't forget to come up with a cool color scheme and symbols. I always liked the Psi symbol (Ψ) in electric blue on white robes, but to each their own.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

talmor wrote:
DiceCollector wrote:I am playing a Mind-mage and would like to start my own guild. Any ideas? The town we started in only has 5 psionics in it. What should the guild have? (Cool hats, Robes) Will there be any bonuses for being in the guild?

First, who are the other 5 psionics and what are they currently doing?

Second, any mystical Guild worth it's name has cool Robes and Hats. The initiates love that stuff, don't be cheap.

Are there bonuses for being in the guild--dude, you're starting the guild...you tell the newbies what bonuses they get, regardless of it being true or not.

Are you evil? Take over a thief/assassin guild with your mind powers, then take over the town council then...live like kings.

Are you selfish? Take over gambling. No one cheats in the places you protect.

Are you good? Erm--fight crime, I guess.

Of course, there's always gonna be those rogue Telepaths who don't want to join your guild, or people threatening to expose you, or mystical threats trying to take over "your" city, or all kinds of things. Sounds like a good way to start a bunch of adventures.

Do the rest of the players want to stay in that town and build up their own power bases? SOUNDS AWESOME!

Do the rest of them want to go wandering to find things to kill/stuff to take? Save it for when they're ready to settle down.

The Rifts Adventure Book has rules for Guilds/Secret Societies--it's Rifts, but should be translatable to Palladium fairly easily.

Sounds like fun--don't forget to come up with a cool color scheme and symbols. I always liked the Psi symbol (Ψ) in electric blue on white robes, but to each their own.

Like all of this... just saying...
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”