Rifts Path of the Storm Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Re: Rifts Path of the Storm Question

Unread post by KillWatch »

currently reading it. Boy's magic using village is overrun by DBs. The coalition comes in wipes the DBs out, boy is taken by a CS grunt and hands him over to an orphanage. Boy becomes CS SF but gets caught up with a group of magic users and DBs to stop an evil wizard from the fallen Tolkeen.

One thing I've disagreed with is the presentation of the coming of the rifts. According to my Rifts book, the rifts came as a result of a nuclear war which caused billions of deaths all at once and all this energy boosted the ley liens and created rifts.

the screenplay has it that we were not using magic and the build up of the energy from the ley lines without release caused an explosion that destroyed the world. Blah

In general its good. A bit formulaic. I think sometimes it uses too many gaming parlance without using independant perspectives on some given things. but good so far
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

It's ok. Story is a bit rushed at spots. Some of hte minor plot points are easy to figure out.

Overall though I thought it was worth the buy. You also get stats of the characters in the script.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Panomas wrote:Rifts Path of the Storm-

What is the plot?

Was it any good?

Thank you,

Yes, it is very good. You should buy it for the Chuck Walton cover alone!!!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
KillWatch
Champion

the NPC stuff and the art is good
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I just say the storyline was very predictable.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Didn't the boy go to become a CS officer and the sister go to become a Lay Line walker and then they end up in the same place later on down the road?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Didn't the boy go to become a CS officer and the sister go to become a Lay Line walker and then they end up in the same place later on down the road?

Spoiler:
yes
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I really liked it! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I just say the storyline was very predictable.

Agreed. Although, I was amused (and sort of happy) that they needed to add new equipment to make the story work.

I can't figure out why Palladium can't use canon rules for NPC's and their equipment.
You would think that they could get by using bionics and grenades already statted out.

Oh well, more things to add to my compiled charts! ;)
KillWatch
Champion

I don't think they needed new gear. Its fine for players, but to the larger viewing audience its all going to be new
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

KillWatch wrote:I don't think they needed new gear. Its fine for players, but to the larger viewing audience its all going to be new

Exactly KW, that was kind of my point.
They should of mostly focused on "staples" of what we know about Rifts.

They didn't really need to add the extra stuff to make the story work.

Otherwise, the story was a bit straight forward and predictable.

I think that they should have had a brief prologue of how Rifts Earth came this way.
Include how the Coalition States is trying to regain humanity and show how they took it too far.

Then, maybe show a story of how a group of adventurers (mercs, maybe) are struggling to protect some "innocent" D-Bees from a overly cruel Colonel.
Include a few magic casters and maybe have the finale involve how the evil Colonel gets swallowed into a Rift that one of the hero D-Bee's opens to save the innocent villagers at the last moments.

Anyway, it felt a little too "Star-Wars"-esque for my liking.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

If it were unpredictable, it'd probably break people notion of the setting "Oh, how on earth could that happen?". It's difficult to be both true to setting/predictable, yet unpredictable. Unless you start writing new setting.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Remeber the audience of the RIfts movie is far more than the few current Rifts fans so the setting needs to be explained only as much as the story requires.

I truly believe that a simple story is the way to go and the cool visuals of the movie are its selling point. Remember star Wars was THE most cliche story ever - farm boy learns magic from and old wizard with his maical sword he storms the castle with his thief buddy to save the princess from the dark knight. which is a massive reason why it worked so well.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

The Dark Elf wrote:I truly believe that a simple story is the way to go and the cool visuals of the movie are its selling point. Remember star Wars was THE most cliche story ever - farm boy learns magic from and old wizard with his maical sword he storms the castle with his thief buddy to save the princess from the dark knight. which is a massive reason why it worked so well.

It totally was not!

It was a totally a swashbuckling theme - galleons, racing across the seas...

;)
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

The Dark Elf wrote:Remeber the audience of the RIfts movie is far more than the few current Rifts fans so the setting needs to be explained only as much as the story requires.

I truly believe that a simple story is the way to go and the cool visuals of the movie are its selling point. Remember star Wars was THE most cliche story ever - farm boy learns magic from and old wizard with his maical sword he storms the castle with his thief buddy to save the princess from the dark knight. which is a massive reason why it worked so well.

Valid point and being that the script of Path of the Storm was slated and submitted as a script to pitch to a Hollywood ideology in mind, I completely agree with this assessment.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

This is when someone brings up Campbel and Hero with A thousand faces.. .right? "The Hero's Journey" and all that? lol

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Panomas wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:This is when someone brings up Campbel and Hero with A thousand faces.. .right? "The Hero's Journey" and all that? lol

Joseph Campbell?

Yeah. You didn't like Joseph Campbell?

Oh I very much did. :) Did reports on him and his works in college. It's just pretty well known, to the point of people pointing it out now, is sorta tellin' people stuff they already know.

Return to “Rifts®”